New HBO series "LP's"..er.."Records"...uhh..."Vinyl" ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

But back to the original post, I am actually looking forward to this new TV series.
    There's not that much music drama on television if you ask me. "Love Monkey" got canceled too soon, "Nashville" is getting boring ever since they lost all the "bad" guys and I never really could get into "Empire".

2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I may pickup HBO again just to see this.

Big Cannavale fan. Boardwalk Empire, Woody's Blue Jasmine and, of course, Station Agent.

The Station Agent was set in West Milford, NJ. It's close to here and not far from Manhattan, but you can't get there from either spot. Perfect setting for the movie.

BTW, we said vinyl back then. "Oh man, you scratched the vinyl." It wasn't as popular as "album", "record", "disc" or "LP", but it was in the vernacular. "Wax" was annoying. "Acetate" was archaic. I said vinyl.

3. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

I've heard "vinyl" for at least the past 15 years. The problem is record, album and single aren't specific. A record is just a recording, so what medium is it on? Same for album and single, you can buy an album on itunes or a CD single. Obviously when vinyl was the prevailing format there was less need to specify, now it's just one of many formats and a niche one at that.

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

ive always heard vinyl as far back as 1990.

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I lost track of what to call 'it' after they quit making them from Wax.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

Vinyl Road.....like us on Facebook.

Yes Mike. Musicians and music fans associate vinyl with those black things that used to rotate on turntables. Several decades must have eluded you.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, my initial statement is correct - it's the term people use now for it when "records" was most people's term for it 70's/80's/early 90's.

Marketing to gain the most viewers.

I hope there is at least some nuance to the show though...

8. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Back in the days here we used to call them "album" or "disc" or "LP", the vinyl thing came up later around the mid 90's or so, at least here.

Cheers

9. surfoverb

like using the term vinyl?

10. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I was at Fry's yesterday (an electronics superstore in California) and I was surprised to A) see a wall devoted to vinyl records, B) a group of people browsing it. I was alone in the blu-ray aisle at the time.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool. You're old enough to remember when the term came into use the first time. However, when I was buying records through the seventies, I don't remember anyone calling them "vinyls," so perhaps the term went out of vogue for a while.

Ah, but back in the mists of time, which many of us refer to as The Seventies, all we had were records and tapes, so there was no need to call it "vinyl." Then came the CD, and everything changed. But that was also a long time ago.

12. tschommer

tschommer Tele-Afflicted

I don't remember using the word all that much myself, but I remember the Hot Tuna album called "Final Vinyl" from 1979 and its meaning was obvious so it was not a completely alien term to me even back then. I think that once CDs started to get popular it became more common to use the term vinyl.

That said, I obviously share your outrage.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is interesting, never heard it but it makes sense since my 78s are a different and problematic material, and when vinyl was new it would have been referred to by the new material.
    I called (vinyl records) albums until the CD appeared, and albums got released on CD, so a distinction needed to be made.
    Vinyl, 8 track, cassette, CD, laserdisc, DVD, DAT, each a different product to shop for and then operate on suitable equipment.

Now pluralizing vinyl is another story.
    Probably not going to start paying for more than basic cable to watch the new show, too much digital $$ involved in getting back to analog.

14. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I bought my first record album, "Are you Experienced" in the fall of 1967 and many others afterward. I remember them only being called LP's (long playing....compared to 45's),records or albums. Once music became portable with Lear's 8 track player, the smaller cassette and the CD it seemed like records disappeared until DJs started scratching and such. As far as I remember that's when the term vinyl became popular.

BTW, when I dropped the needle on the first song on that Hendrix album and the first notes of "Purple Haze" hit my ears,(I was 10 yrs. old) it changed my musical being forever.......Sorry, hijack over.

15. surfoverb

tapes were (cassette) tapes...reel-to-reel was something ...better.
    does nobody call it reel-to-reel either? (im talking 1/4" tape)

I grew up in jersey on hip hop maybe thats why I always heard vinyl.
    its just more specific. Rap guys put out LPs, and Eps but they were always on CDs.

16. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I saw Bobby Canavalle do "Glenngary Glenn Ross" on Broadway a few years back with him doing the Ricky Roma cocky young sales guy and Al friggin' Pacino in the Shel Levine role. They were both absolutely stellar.

Looking forward to checking this show out.

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

We always referred to it as reel-to-reel, but it was only for recording your own stuff. You couldn't buy the latest Stones album on reel-to-reel.
    We also had 8-tracks, but we never called them "tapes." That was always used for cassettes. There was a time, though, when you could have an album on 8-track, to play in your dad's car, on record, to play at home, and on cassette, for your own car.

"Hey, I just got Stranger in Town on 8-track!"

"Cool, I got it on tape last week, but the tape deck in my Gremlin ate it already. Now I'm just gonna buy the record and tape the best songs. I just got a box of the new TDK SA-C90s, and I'm gonna make some tapes for the car."

18. Uncle Joe

THAT was funny. :D

19. Uncle Joe

Yes, calling cds albums was where I got tripped up. Until then it was easy. My dad, still going strong at 87 thank God, actually used the word acetate, from time to time, when referring to 78s. If I was referring to the substrate it was vinyl, albeit not the go to word when referring to an album.

My dad actually has albums of multiple 78 acetate records; the etymology of the term album. I'm sure he thought that I was using the wrong word when referring to my LPs.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nuance to the show - not the studio's/network's marketing department's decisions.

There's the "thing", and then there's "selling the thing".

I was talking about the "thing".

I completely understand their decision in "selling the thing".

If you hear "vinyl" in a show about the 70's record industry, it should be along the lines of "How many containers of vinyl pellets were due in at the Hoboken plant ?"

And if there aren't mounds of white powder everywhere, I'll call BS on that too :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.