1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New HBO Bee Gees Documentary

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by jondanger, Dec 10, 2020.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just read this in the Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...65c6be-3819-11eb-9276-ae0ca72729be_story.html

I’m going to try to watch it over the weekend. Like a lot of forum folks, I love music documentaries, and watch stuff about artists that I only care a little about. But I really do like a lot of The Bee Gees music, and find what little I know of their story fascinating. It will be cool to fill in the gaps of my knowledge. Just a PSA.

2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Totally looking forward to this one, been on my radar a little while. Setting aside the disco-lite they were most well-known for, there's a lot there to like. Barry's an incredible songwriter, such an ultimately sad story to be the eldest and last-surviving brother.

jondanger likes this.
  3. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Read a great review of this somewhere.

The review told the story of "How Do you Mend a Broken Heart". Written by Robin and Barry when they had some kind of fight and weren't really talking to each other. It's about their fight and writing the song together renewed their relationship, great story.

jondanger and buster poser like this.
  4. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

They wrote 'To Love Somebody' for Otis but he passed before recording it so they put it out themselves. Great lyric.

Mike M likes this.
  5. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I watched the documentary last night and gained more respect for The Bee Gees. I was never a real fan but I can’t help but recognize their music as part of my life. They were excellent song writers and their voices and style was unique. The story is tragic how they all died before their time but one brother. I caught up with it at the Clapton interview so I’m going to watch it again. I had no idea it was on and hit it channel surfing.

jondanger likes this.
  6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I watched it last night too and really enjoyed it. There were a lot of other songs that were performed by other artists that I didn’t realize they wrote. They really had the special quality of pop songwriting where the song feels eternal without feeling derivative.

Although I couldn’t help but find this song (which came out a year after Deja VU) a little derivative.

Sounds exactly like Helpless!

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

We watched it last night. It is fantastic and rich and a great reminder that talent and ambition and hard work can pay off... it was also great to see Albhy Galuten on camera and for the world to get a taste of his genius. I am going to watch it again.

8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Never was a fan but will definitely watch it as I enjoy music documentaries.

9. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

haha i said to my two older brothers the other day it's a shame we could have been the next bee gees bee-gees-app-1343665702-editorial-long-form-0.jpg

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Can’t watch it. Ya musically fit but so was bread.

11. getbent

you might be surprised. talent is talent.

brookdalebill and Rockinvet like this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I liked their early music, particularly songs like “To Love Somebody”.
    I was in college back then and they had hit after hit.

getbent likes this.
  13. TCA117

TCA117 Tele-Meister

I watched the Bee Gee's documentary last night - i was surprised there was no mention of them appearing in the Sgt Pepper Movie. That killed Peter Framptons career and believe did the same to Bee Gee's. I'm a Clapton fan, and never thought about them appearing on same label or having any connection.

14. getbent

If they ever make a Stigwood movie, they'll talke A LOT about that fiasco. It was Stigwood's grandiose concept and it was not a good one. Stigwood may have been good for some people... one of my friends was on RSO and all Robert did was threaten him almost from the time he signed him. He took an album up to have him listen to it and Robert said, "I don't hear a single &&&&&&& hit here, don't you listen to the radio? There are people out there turning music into gold.' My friend left, got in the elevator and before he started his car in the parking lot, he had written a top ten hit. While he enjoyed having another hit, I think he regretted it later... so, I'm not exactly in the RSO fan department. The Bee Gees were pretty much obliged to do whatever he wanted, so I'm sure they regretted the Sgt Pepper Movie.. it didn't help them either.

TCA117 likes this.
  15. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The documentary was very good and very sad. I cried when Barry said he'd trade every hit they ever had to have his brothers back. Don't forget that he not only lost Robin and Maurice, but Andy too.

getbent likes this.
  16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Great documentary! They wrote so many hit songs. It would be an interesting comparison of the the Bee Gee's hits compared to those of the Beatles, Elvis, The Beach Boys, and others.

getbent likes this.
  17. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Great songwriters! Al Green's version of "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?' is a soul music classic. Even though Otis passed on "To Love Somebody", James Carr did it justice...

getbent likes this.
  18. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

I liked the BGs before they went all disco. Their early stuff was pretty good.
    And no one really compares to the Beatles. Many tried and failed. Drove Brian Wilson nuts trying to keep up with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.