New Harper Lee Novel!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by freejamesbrown, Feb 3, 2015.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

As a teenager, I first read Catch 22 and when I finished it. I read it again and again and again... (that book and Carlos Baker's Hemingway bio... weird)

Anyway, I thirsted for more Heller and my senior year, I read Something Happened. OH MAN! OH MAN! That book was TOUGH to bear. In my freshman year, I took some lit class and the professor asked what the most challenging book was that we ever read 'for our souls' and I said, SOMETHING HAPPENED. He was visibly taken aback and asked me to stay after class...

When I stayed (I was worried... wearing a bucket hat, overalls.. it was a night class after baseball practice and I was also barefoot) He smiled at me and said, "I have some questions about Bob Slocum for you" and he quizzed me on the novel and after about 5 questions was convinced I'd read the book.

'I want you to be a College Achievement Assistant, it pays 2500.00 a year'
    'Uh, okay, what do I do'
    'You tutor your jock friends'

Sig Schwarz... one of the most amazing people I have ever known... what a teacher... and what fun I had tutoring guys I drank beer with.

2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Okay, okay. Maybe I'll try it again.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

4. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This thread has been a really good and informative read. Honestly.

As for an English Professor being the best source of literary critique, wasn't Eric Segal a professor of literature who contributed "Love Story"? :lol:

In any case, for the new book I'll probably revert to the Reader's Digest condensed version first. I think they took "Love Story" and got it down to 15 pages and still covered the relevant points. Boy meets girl, boy has money, they fall in love, girl dies, boy still has money but is sad. Mine is even shorter but has terrible grammar.

6. BigDaddyLH

Well, she's bound to give an interview soon.

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

No look at the article: she does not say she is happy as hell. Rather, her lawyer and agent--two people who stand to make a lot of money--tell the publisher she's happy as hell, and he tells the newspaper.

How is she going to do an interview if she is deaf? And mostly blind?

But she is happy as hell that a book she did not choose to publish for fifty five years is now being published.

Right, sure

8. BigDaddyLH

I think if the story here is that the novel is being published against her will, a journalist would break that story and it would be huge.

Waiting...

Waiting...

9. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Nope. That's not the story.

Have another go.

10. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Does an 88 year old woman, at least partially deaf and blind, having suffered at least one stroke, confined to a nursing home, reachable only through her agent and lawyer, know what's going on?

Consider that this woman chose not to publish this thing for, again, over fifty years. But now that her sister is dead and she is partly incapacitated, she is suddenly "happy as hell."

I might be true, but there is a lot of room for skepticism

11. BigDaddyLH

Moot point until we hear more.

12. getbent

Well, Roger Ebert got some run in this thread and he wrote "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" one of the worst movies ever made...

if we only paddle with one paddle we go in circles!

It reminds me of a guy I used to work with who LOVED Boz Scaggs but hated silk degrees... he'd always say Boz is a genius, he just did that record to afford to make the music he loved...

okayyyyyyyyyy......

13. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Let's be fair, it was hardly a solo effort. He had Russ Meyer helping out...

14. getbent

If you have an empty room, there is room for skepticism. If you have a house full of skepticism, more skepticism just seems to go with the decor.

Having watched several folks reach a senior age in my family... many things that they held dear at one point stopped mattering toward the end. My grandmother had several things like this but a few months before her death... she let all of it go and said, "screw it, it doesn't matter... the only things that mattered are in this room."

It is just as easy of a bet that she met with her publisher and he said, "hey, everyone would love one more book from you, just to hear what you had to say next... and she said, 'oh why not'.

The attention at this stage will be fun for her...

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think Eric Segal's follow up was Oliver's Story. Can I have two paddles?

We can however thank Segal for this:

Good merchandise, even hidden, soon finds buyers.
    Plautus

16. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

So, this year will see new releases from both Harper Lee AND the J. D. Salinger estate… but nothing from George R. R. Martin. Strange world…

17. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

The thing is though, I didn't bring up Ebert's review as an appeal to authority. Besides, I guess what you're saying is that your opinions about Mockingbird are no more or less valid than his. If that's what you mean, then I totally agree.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.