New Harmony guitars... anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DHart, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Jupiter, Silhouette, and Rebel models in stock, Heritage built. Looking at the specs, these have some nice features, gold foil pickups, string-thru construction, nitro and ebony.

2. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure he switched to the 335 on as soon as possible.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  3. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

My first decent guitar was a sunburst Harmony H75 bought new from Hessy's in Liverpool in 1963. Happy memories -- I liked it and gigged with it for a few months before trading for an ES330.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Only only on the interwebz.

Made in USA.

Nitro finish.

Mahogany body.

Ebony neck.

Orange drop

Tele bridge!

Mono case (seems to retail for $250)

"Too damn expensive!"

ifallalot likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@DHart - These are very cool.

My local shop owner did an impromptu Heritage tour while he was camping in Michigan (long time Heritage dealer).

They are genuinely proud of the new line. He said the materials, construction methods and craftsmanship look great. And they can't even remotely keep up with demand at present.

DHart likes this.
  6. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

These are cool, sure, but you can still buy some vintage Harmonies for a good price.

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

That's like trying to decide whether to s#!t or go blind! :lol:

8. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I'm talking about accurate reissue. Like in the picture I put up. I belong to the Harmony club. Pluse the web site and the people that are bringing back Teisco and Harmony's has promissed us that.

9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

They seem to be doing this with a lot of brands now. The one that stands out to me is Supro. I can't really get into the nostalgia thing, particularly when they're making all these things as higher end boutique items. I like higher end products as much as anyone (my #1 is a PRS 408) but there isn't anything about these items that don't exist in other guitars, and usually cheaper. It's all just part of our system I guess.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

He was photo'd with several f-hole Gibsons thru the years, but the red ES-355 with the flower pot peghead was his most iconic during most of his career. His first signature tunes were most likely recorded with a ES-350 with P90's.

11. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Thank you, but I'd rather have a new, decent-quality repro than one of the originals, which tend to look way better in the rearview mirror than they were while we were struggling with them in the 60s and 70s...

rangercaster likes this.
  12. Donny Osmond fan

13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Nice tones!

14. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Not interested....I have a '65 Silhouette H15 (date stamped on back of pickguard Dec of '64, so assuming it was out for sale as a '65?), every bit the same guitar I had as a kid for 20 yrs beating the crap out of. It's a fine guitar, the DeArmond gold foils are a pickup unto themselves......this was an $83 guitar back in the day, and, like most any guitar, can be tweaked to be a helluva player. This is the second time they've revived the Harmony brand.....last time, the Bobkats were going for $600 to $700, iirc. My old one died a terrible, senseless death, but I got a good deal (to me) on my H15 from a pawn shop out near Vegas....and, yeah, it was nostalgia totally....and worth it....It's small, it's light, it rocks, it rolls, the gold foils seem very P90-ish....I would not pay what they want for a new "Harmony"

15. Donny Osmond fan

Here is what they said at the Harmony club. Someone worked at Mannys Music in NYC for 10 years. Mannys wouldn’t even buy old Harmony ‘s so He would follow customers outside and buy them back then for nothing,everyone said He was crazy and they would never be worth anything,well those people were wrong!

I heard back then you almost couldn’t give them away.

That’s true,but He got some real nice ones,due to them not buying them! HE did not spent more than $100 on any of them! Meteors,Rockets,Bobcats,H-22 basses,the best was the Art Deco model black arch top with aluminum siding binding,(model # escapes my mind) Sovereigns were always his favorite,cause all the delta blues guys used them and that’s really what kicked off his Harmony obsession ! They were considered garbage,but he remember when they first reintroduced the Danelectro U2s the store carried those and sold them as fast as they came in.The best was when Leslie West came to get one and listening to him try it out! His friend used to work at a music store in Austin in the 70’s and he said he’d buy them for next to nothing and sell them at $50 a piece and even then sometimes they’d sit for a while

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Harmony Espanada H63, with P13s, pretty much the ONLY Harmony I crave and would shed a guitar for if it wasn’t so too far expensive.

Why can’t they repro that to a T?

17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

A good guitar is just a good guitar ...
    Not that I care at all , but it helps a brand to have some celebrity cred ...
    I can't recall Hendrix or Keith using them ... Of course, they had better options ...

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

3406D887-F46E-42DA-A800-9E97E97D874A.jpeg

The biggest problem most of the original/vintage Harmony’s had was the fretboard width did not increase enough as it went toward the body.

How do I know this? I’ve had a bunch including an original Silvertone silhouette. The one above is all set up to play happy or tumbling dice or both. I forget? Is tumbling dice capo’d at the fourth? I think it is.

Silver foil Dearmonds without pole pieces are some of the best pickups ever made.

The mustache pick ups with pole pieces were not that great.

This is it the first time that harmonies have been resurrected.

The two biggest problems are always that the new company improve things that don’t need improvement and then they are priced very close or more to what you could get a vintage one for.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  19. Mike Eskimo

4B65AFB5-C257-442A-94F8-5A28A82A3904.jpeg

20. Mike Eskimo

9E3CB70C-A4C6-4503-8C9F-43077647E566.jpeg 75F66FF0-3A53-4FF3-BEFD-01F117AAE29D.jpeg
    Even 10 or so years ago when I owned two of these, the Espanada’s were nearly impossible to find. So you just went out and looked for one without the aluminum binding. And I found two. The shallow depth one was the bomb. And myself and a tech spent a couple hours dissecting them and flipping one of the magnets on the pick ups so that it was out of phase in the middle position a la T-Bone Walker.

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.