New Harmony guitars... anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DHart, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Nope. I remember them.

2. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

With the right marketing they could possibly do good and over come the old stigma. Greg Rich did the same thing when he left Gibson. While there he bought all the rights and patents for the old Recording King line of banjo that Gibson sold only through Montgomery Ward back in the 30's. Then they were pretty much a poor man's banjo. Greg has brought them pretty much to the top of the mtn among banjo builders. High quality instrument, banjo ,guitars ,resos ,and others. I wish'm much success!!

3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Whatever the early model Harmonys were like way back in the day has no bearing whatsoever on these new guitars. To let a bad experience with the early Harmony guitars taint one's view of these (completely new) instruments is like falling on one's own sword, in my view - that old bias is totally inapplicable to these guitars.

jayyj and MilwMark like this.
  4. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I love the comeback! My first electric was a Rocket, I still mourn the loss. I presently have a Taiwan-made junker Harmony from c.1970 that I absolutely love.

Regarding the video demo on the first page, I share the complaint of one commenter: "Why didn't we hear any clean tone or neck pickups?"

One issue I have is the humbuckers they put on most of the new models; this goes astray from the originals, but again, some clean tones in the demo night help better assess the HBs.

5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I agree... I don't care to hear any demo with distorted tones. I want to hear how a guitar sounds clean, with full open chords, arpeggios, and single notes. Distorted guitar tone tells me nothing. :rolleyes:

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

having not lived in the US before, and reading about these old low quality guitars, any come back is a good thing in my books!

I love the look of the doube cut! at these pricing, theres a lot of competition with US made guitars, like Dhart said, if there's a good deal for a used one, maybe, but if the pricing is the same or close to a tele, Id probably choose the Tele..

7. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

Hertiage guitars is making them. Means nothing to me. I love old Harmonys. But people hate them. Yes they had some pro models. Some had nitro finish some told me? But they get labled as studen models. And some were not. But they will always have a stigma. And they are rissuing old models as well. These. But are they wanted? Time will tell.

[​IMG]

8. Donny Osmond fan

Harmony tried to come back twice. Failed. Silvertone was made By Samick. Owned by a group of people. Failed. Why? Juptior was great. Danelectro 2 styles from Silvertone was mahogany but failed. We will see.

radiocaster likes this.
  9. Donny Osmond fan

They are doing Teisco as well. Have you seen the pedels?

[​IMG]

10. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I would probably go Supro f I wanted an updated version of a quirky, retro guitar.

11. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

The thread is splitting into two related threads. First, yes, Harmony was an economic, entry-level, "clone" type company, but they did have some unique innovative features from time to time, and they had the occasional high-end offering that was actually competitive. Some folks still see them as a badge of shame. If it was all you could afford, or a hand-me-down, you just had to grin and bear it. But some 10-20 years ago, they and many other "Ameri-trash" guitars became popular, as alternatives to escalating top brands (and you know who they are). As a result, entry brands like Kay and Harmony were re-discovered, including by some well known artists. A good player can make great music on anything, and exploit what anything does well. We all know why Jack Pearson plays a lowly unmodified Squier - because he can. There's a new level of competence demonstrated, when you can do that. I've got a few of these old "Chicago" brands, and they make good instruments with adjustments (we should discuss the hamstring brass frets they used sometime though).

Second, the instruments being made in Kalamazoo have to be quality instruments made by quality folks. If they decided to lend tribute to a blast from the past (everyone had a Harmony at one time from that era), they can do so with no shame, and with respect. They look nice, faithful repros, and no doubt with great quality materials and workmanship. They make perfect sense, that a high quality US maker would offer an entry-level US made brand, using a US made brand name from the past, that was also an entry level. I'm guitar poor, but I'd have no problem playing one of these out.

13. Donny Osmond fan

I do not consider 2000 or 1500 as a affordable model. That is expensive to me.

cyclopean and bgmacaw like this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

"Affordable" only in TGP-speak.

15. Musekatcher

They are more than I thought (assumed under $1000), $1299 at MF right now. That's still half of a new Heritage.

16. Donny Osmond fan

I might have got the price wrong. Still to high for me.

cyclopean likes this.
  17. Donny Osmond fan

And stickers give a muddy sound. I love expensive just as much as they next fellow. But have you ever read there at that page? Chuck Barry died. So I ask my wife if I could get a Gibson 335 just like he had. She said sure. It was on 3900. That was a real bargin. Wow baby!!!!!o_O;)

I found a custom builder. Cool guitar some one will say. What did it cost? Some will say I would rather not say. Or I spent 5000 dollars. Wow. :twisted:

I like reading at that place. They are a nice group of people. But do not get me started on the custom amp price of the brands I never heard of? ;)

18. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

The greatest Harmony guitar that ever was.

19. Donny Osmond fan

Mabye that price is for the 60's reissues instead of the ones thet got out now?

20. Musekatcher

He was more identified with a red 355, similar to a 335 but his was unique. Related, he started on a Kay Thin Twin:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.