new Hahn Campilongo Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ruger9, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Enrico Comaschi

Enrico Comaschi TDPRI Member

Maggie, I'm a journalist since 26 years now, so I know what you mean. But I think that we have a problem, here. Nobody told mr Hahn to build a low-priced guitar. He is a business man, so he must know the best practices and he must know how to drive his business in a honest way. He also used the Jim Campilongo name as an endorser. Great man and great musician = great guitar and honest agreement. It's simple: he (not anyone also) told me 6-8 weeks to wait. I'm sorry, but this is the perfect exemple of a bad practice. Not fair, not honest: he still keeps new orders. And at this point i don't know if i will ever see my guitar or my money back (he doesn't answer to the phone and to the emails).

El Tele Lobo, maggieo and milocj like this.
  2. MrNoTalent

MrNoTalent TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm sure Chihoe is as nice a guy as there is, but I too cannot get any response on Model C status...why doesn't he just put up a blanket post of where he is on these rather than not reply at all to the inquiries...looks like a lot of people waiting. Good luck to any of you wanting a refund...I'm beginning to get the sinking feeling I may have lost $1500, but I am very patient and will not have to file for bankruptcy over this, so I anticipate receiving one beautiful instrument someday. FYI, I was able to talk to him the first time I called (4/11) and he answered the phone...placed my order when he said he was still accepting them and estimated appx 8 weeks, and called me back immediately when card was declined (safety issue with card). I said I'd straighten this out, and called back in 10 minutes...again, Chihoe answered on first ring. Does anyone know how many employees work at Hahn. If Chihoe is a one man show, I don't know how he can possibly build all these guitars in a timely manner and still have impeccable quality. I will watch this thread closely for any info anyone can provide.

Brucesu and Enrico Comaschi like this.
  3. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

I think there are at least three people working at Hahn guitars. You can see them at work in this video.

maggieo likes this.
  4. mikefincham

mikefincham TDPRI Member

Update - I was able to reach Chihoe by using the email form on his website and by publicly commenting on his Instagram that I had requested a refund. I do lose a little over $50 bucks for the Paypal refund fee, but I feel better knowing my money is secure and I can purchase a different telecaster now. Chihoe said "Sorry for the delays- just swamped here. Please come back when I have inventory!" I'm sad that this did not work out. I had invested emotionally in the story of Jim and the model C. But I've learned a valuable lesson about working with custom builders vs working with boutique guitar shops. I'm going to stick with the latter from now on. I wish the rest of you good luck on your journey.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    maggieo and Brucesu like this.
  5. MrNoTalent

Brucesu, thanks for the video....very interesting and looks like quality is a top priority there... hope they don't cut corners to try and catch up
    mikefincham , glad you got almost all of your money back
    Enrico, I think you need to email back and tell them your real last name is Campilongo...maybe that will bump you up to the front of the line.
    Don't know if "first come, first served" determines where you are in the queue, but I think Chihoe shouldn't take your money until they actually start to build your guitar....must be many people waiting for the other models too...Chihoe needs to post an update on all his models, either on the website or on this forum, or somewhere...he doesn't need to send individual emails to everyone...at least give everyone some idea of what to expect. I'll stop my rant for now...this isn't suppose to be a "hate" forum!

Enrico Comaschi likes this.
  6. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I get being choked. I think I have been waiting for a Model C longer than anyone posting on this thread.

But sometimes when you are in business for yourself you can come up with an idea that is maybe a little too good, surprises you a bit and brings in more business than you can handle in the short term. And then you gotta work around the clock to get caught up. And life/suppliers/all sorts of stuff can throw a few curve balls. Some folks will get choked at you for missing deadlines - and they have the right - but lots of others will forgive you if you eventually put a great product in their hands.

So, I guess he got a bit behind. Happens. It was a great idea at a great price point - that's why we all jumped on the bandwagon. And maybe now he is spending more time on building guitars than picking up the phone every time it rings in the shop, or answering mails when he gets home at night. I am ok with that too, honestly. I have been working around the clock for weeks, and I don't wish it on anyone. Bad for your health, bad for your family, bad for your mind.

Not saying you cant be choked if you want. But for me - I have a guitar. This one is a luxury present to myself. I don't need instant gratification. I thought the wait would be 8 weeks, and maybe it will be 8 months. If the guitar is as good as I hope, I won't care about the wait when it gets in my hands. And I would rather the guy who is building it feels like it is leaving his shop just as good as he can possibly make it. Then we will both be happy.

maggieo, MrNoTalent, Doug 5 and 2 others like this.
  7. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Does Chihoe send out tracking numbers, or will the guitar just one day show up looking for daddy/mommy?

Ya matrix, I feel the same way, as long as it’s good then I’m good.

For $1495, this guitar is a steal. I’m pretty sure if these guitars go on the used market it will be sold for the same price or more.

maggieo and matrix like this.
  8. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

Well said! My feelings exactly. He's out on a limb as a small business, and much more worthy of the $1495 than the big corporate alternative.

maggieo, matrix and ianstrike like this.
  9. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

It's a totally tasty beast, but a sell every fhing, one and only deal for me, so
    It would have to sound and play better than my U.S.A. built partscaster, (built
    by a member of Fendertalk which to me is the Holy Grail Redd Volkaert inspired
    tone machine

maggieo likes this.
  10. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

In the web business, this is what we call a "success failure." You put up your website, you run an ad, and suddenly your servers are overloaded and it's like you orchestrated your own DOS attack.

matrix likes this.
  11. ianstrike

ianstrike TDPRI Member

orchestrated your own DOS attack.[/QUOTE]

The only way that Chihoe can afford to sell all these Model C guitars at $1495 is if he spends time building his other guitars at full fare.

maggieo likes this.
  12. Doug 5

Doug 5 TDPRI Member

I ordered a Model C back in mid-Feb. Chihoe was definitely a little overzealous in his projections for completing the guitar, but he's been communicative throughout the process, and very cool and apologetic about timeline shifts. I've expressed to him that I would much rather he take time to do it right.

Whether it's Hahn, Fender Custom Shop, or numerous other builders out there, this seems to be part of the "cost" of a custom instrument. Waiting is a drag, but I think you have to factor that into the equation (within reason, of course - certainly some horror stories out there).

Again, Chihoe's been very communicative, and even if I've had to give an occasional nudge, it's been cool talking with him and an overall enjoyable process. I believe my Model C is going to ship soon (maybe? lol), and I'm looking forward to providing an update here. If it's as good as they've been looking, and stands up to the reputation Hahn has built, it'll be worth the wait.

Brucesu and maggieo like this.
  13. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

how long did you wait for yours?

I was told 10 weeks, and that was on 5/17. All these other posts have me questioning that estimate

ianstrike likes this.
  14. ianstrike

ianstrike TDPRI Member

D

15. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Anybody with a Model C wanna make demo videos? :p

I think the only thing that could make a model c better is if it came in seafoam green!

Do you guys know if the necks on Model Cs are the same necks on regular 228? It says 228 on there, so I would assume it’s the same.

:lol: :D

16. Chihoe Hahn

Chihoe Hahn TDPRI Member

hey Everyone... wow.. just was informed of this thread. I will do the best I can to answer some questions. First off, hello! Second, the Model C is being made and is going out daily but I think due to the price and the guitar I am building the response has really been staggering. Jim and I originally set out to build one or two a month and we announced the guitar and the floodgates opened. We are super, super grateful for this - as a builder I want nothing more than to get my guitars out into the world and the Model C is doing just that. It took a bit to figure out how to meet the demand but the wheels are now rolling. Every guitar will go out, and the majority over the next month. Hope you all can just be patient a little longer - I think you'll like the guitar! And as a side note... I am having a new gig bag made - it's really nice and will sell for $149 I'm thinking... EACH Model C customer will either get one with their guitar or will get a voucher to get one ... as a measure of thanks for your incredible patience and support. All the best, Chihoe

17. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Thanks so much for chiming into this thread Chihoe!

ianstrike likes this.
  18. MrNoTalent

Awesome, Way Cool, etc., etc. Thanks for the info. Chihoe. Now I better start practicing 24/7, although I think its too late...should have started 30 years ago...but I want to do at least a little justice to a guitar this good. If the Prize Patrol shows up tomorrow, I'll order one each of all your other models.

ianstrike likes this.
  19. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Don't forget those of us who have 228 builds in the hopper!

ianstrike likes this.
  20. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

I thought you said you wanted it on your 70th birthday because Chihoe missed your 60th!

:lol::lol::eek::eek::cry::lol::lol:

ianstrike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.