1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

new Hahn Campilongo Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ruger9, Dec 28, 2017.

1. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Good question. I don't actually know. My C is number 40 from the first batch.

I guess I would need to take the pickguard off to check? Last time I had the pickguard off, Jim Campilongo was playing in town. I thought it would be cool to have him sign the pickguard, but I did not want to haul the entire guitar to the concert. So I carefully unscrewed the pickguard, lifted it off...and discovered that was already signed by Jim on inside. So I put it back.

I only found out later that there were different pickups used in the C's. Whatever they are, they are absolutely friggin' gold.

guitrr likes this.
  2. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm not 100% sure, but white string = Banta and black string = Lollar.

guitrr and matrix like this.
  3. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Thanks @maggieo

I can see white string, so maybe Bantas? But I thought the sequence was Banta - Fralin (up to the end of the first batch), and then the switch to Lollars for the 2rd batch?

4. maggieo

I think you're correct. The Fralins have black string, too, and staggered polepieces, IIRC.

5. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Are these still being produced? I thought it was a limited run.

6. maggieo

I think he makes a batch of a few every so often.

heffus likes this.
  7. Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer TDPRI Member

8F613286-FD52-4938-A510-50DB7E4623DF.jpeg Thought I would post another pic of mine - my number one guitar - plays great - changed the Fralins out for Full Monty pickups - to my ear much better - super versatile guitar - very rough paint job

guitrr and maggieo like this.
  8. Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer TDPRI Member

Oh - and Mr Hahn is a fantastic luthier but his idea of customer service is if I ignore them for long enough they will go away!

telemaster03 likes this.
  9. Jode

Jode TDPRI Member

I love checking in on this thread to see how people are getting on with their Model C - it's all gone a bit quiet, so I'll chime in with an update having had the guitar for close to two years now.

It's absolutely my #1 - for a while I thought I might never buy another guitar! That hasn't ended up being the case, but it has re-calibrated my attitude to my guitars - I don't want to buy any more that aren't likely to be keepers, and I've sold a couple with others potentially on the chopping block. I needed to have the frets levelled after about eight months because I simply couldn't put the thing down (and that was with a newborn baby to care for, I still made the time to wear it out!). I love the medium jumbo frets (anyone know the exact fret wire used?) and the compound radius. I also had my luthier do a small mod to allow truss rod access without removing the neck. On a less important note, it's quite nice having one of only a few of these in the UK, and probably the only one in Scotland.

The finish on mine is in pretty good shape, despite daily play and a good few shows played. I'm very careful with my guitars, though, and it doesn't take much to mark it. I can understand why people would be turned off by the finish, but I'm firmly in the camp of those who like it, and it was exactly as advertised and expected. Top tip - a burgundy strap sets the finish off beautifully!

Pickups - I am now considering changing them for a few reasons, and would welcome more opinions. I'm willing to admit that the main reason may just be the desire to tweak... but, as I mentioned at the time, I expected my guitar to have Rob Banta pickups, and they had changed to Fralins during my wait time (I'm at peace with that, and it was discussed back at the time so no gripes here). Does anyone know exactly what the Fralins are? I've seen mention of them being overwound - are they something from Fralin's available range, or does anyone know what they're close to if not? Anyone know what the Lollars in the later batches are?

I've considered contacting Rob Banta to enquire about having a set made - anyone ever had any experience? My #2 tele has a set of Don Mare Hayrides... perhaps they would be a good fit - I know Rick Kelly has used them in many a pine tele (would be particularly interested in @maggieo 's opinion on that). I'm not very good at using tone jargon, and I don't even want to say I dislike the Fralin's... but I can't help feeling that the right set of pickups would make this guitar the tele to rule them all.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any advice.

matrix and maggieo like this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would go with one of the following if you were thinking of a pickup upgrade:
    • Bootstrap (I like the Palo Duros)
    • Cavalier (I like the Nashville Lion bridge and Fat Lion King neck)
    • Sunday Handwound (I have a Custom A4 bridge and a 23t neck (combo A2 and A3))
    • Fender PV '64

11. maggieo

Hey Jode! (don't make it sad)

My first Kelly had Fralins in it, I think they were the Blues Specials or something. I didn't like 'em. My pal Aram switched his out for Mare Super Sports and loves 'em. I know another guy who loves the Mare ZepTones in his.

My snakehead has Antiquities in it, and I think they're just stellar. My Thinline has Lollars (a Vintage T and a CC) and those are amazing PUPS. I had an MIM Esquire with the Vintage T and a Lollar goldfoil in it, and no surprise, fantastic.

Chihoe is putting Lollar Vintage Ts in the Model C now, so I reckon if you don't like the Fralins, try those. The Bantas in mine are really one-of-a-kind pickups that are difficult to describe without going all sommelier on 'em. They're darker and lower output than any others I've played.

matrix likes this.
  12. Jode

Jode TDPRI Member

Thanks both for the responses. @maggieo - sommelier away! Low output is definitely my preference in general. The Lollar Vintage Ts are available in Europe, and I could have them in a few days, so that's obviously a huge plus. But the Bantas continue to intrigue. My girlfriend is from NYC and has family not terribly far from Newburgh, so getting them here safely wouldn't be a problem. Obviously there are so many great pickups around... but I loved the idea of having a tele that I never wanted to mess with, that had a complete design with everything right... for one reason or other the Fralins don't seem to be it, but the others could be, and there's a certain luxury in knowing that either will 'work' in this specific guitar (with the obvious caveat of subjectivity).

I honestly still can't quite get my head around what a great guitar it is... it would be so great if Chihoe did an equivalent strat model.

matrix likes this.
  13. chrism27

chrism27 TDPRI Member

Anyone know if a standard telecaster pickguard would fit on a model C (with new screw holes of course)? I'm strongly considering buying one of these amond a few other builders but I just can't get over that pickguard shape - ruins the whole aesthetic for me! The headstock shape doesn't help but I think I could get over that more easily if these sound and play as good as everyone says. I'm not sure why, but Whitfill and Kirn are the only two headstocks outside of Fender that seem to do a Tele body justice for me

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  14. Jeffery Young

Jeffery Young TDPRI Member

I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to Rob Banta (Gemini Pickups). Really nice guy to deal with and price is good - I tried out a DeArmond spec gold foil (Telecaster neck size) form him in my Model C and it was great (very much a gold foil). I did ask him about the Model C pickups - I don't think he recalled specifically what they were, but suggested they were likely a bit "brattier" than the Fralins (he also indicated that he thinks Lindy is a fantastic winder). I'd be inclined to have Rob wind you a set, perhaps pushing him to try to replicate what he might have done with the original Model C's. I'll admit that I was curious whether he would have anything to say about working with Hahn, or why he thought Chihoe stopped using his pickups in the Model C, but no hints were given in that regard.

I was also curious about what specific model the Fralins were, but other than hearing Chihoe say the were vintage, slightly overwound, I was not able to confirm if they are simply an "off-the-shelf" overwind of the Fralin stock telecaster pickups. I do think they lean towards the underwound and bright vintage sound, rather than the aged (degaussed?) darker Lollar or generally overwound, more modern tone of some other offerings.

matrix likes this.
  15. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

@Jode So, as someone with the Bantas in his model C, from what you write, I would suggest you get in touch with Rob and try to get a set. I think anything else will leave you wondering "what if?"

I dearly love my C, and think the pickups are part of the magic. There is something delightfully "stretchy" and warm in the response. I kinda feel like I can play with how they respond, and can pull out some unique warm tones from them if I tweak my technique just right. I am at the point that nothing else feels quite right to me in terms of response. As you might guess, I have zero desire to experiment with different pickups in my C. For better or worse, this feels like home to me now. I think if something happened to my C I would do everything to re-constitute as close as possible to its current state. Including getting Banta pickups.

(occurs to me that I need to change my avatar photo - that wonderful G&L has become a dust collector since I got my C).

For what it is worth, my tastes run towards smoother, jazzier electric sounds. I rarely play with distortion, and when I do it is just a hint of growl at the most dug-in end of my playing.

maggieo and Jeffery Young like this.
  16. maggieo

I think I read something about how Rob was so busy with his stuff, that he couldn't wind pickups for the Model C quickly enough to get them delivered in a reasonable amount of time.

It's cool when two guys are both so successful with their craft. But sometimes that means that schedules just don't sync up.

The Bantas in my guitar are low output, with a neck pickup that's beefier than the neck, which is a bit thin and wiry, like a 1950s pickup would sound today. As for the neck, if you've ever heard Jim play on the neck pickup of his guitar through a PR, that's the sound.

Jeffery Young likes this.
  17. Baaford

Baaford Tele-Meister

I have #44 Model C from the first run. Chihoe told me that he moved to Fralins after about the first 15 guitars and made the switch because he was looking for something a little different in the bridge mainly. Mine are 7.19k neck and 6.76k bridge which is almost exactly 2% underwound Fralin stock Tele.
    Easily the best T style guitar I've played and my no.1

matrix and maggieo like this.
  18. maggieo

Are the poles staggered or flat?

19. Baaford

Baaford Tele-Meister

Staggered. Picture attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    matrix likes this.
  20. maggieo

Thanks! Humm, beveled, too. Reminds me of the Fralins that came with my first Kelly Bowery Pine.

Baaford and matrix like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.