1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

new Hahn Campilongo Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ruger9, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

Pics?

2. Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer TDPRI Member

here are a few pic - one of which includes a yellowish stain on the top edge - have no idea where that came from. 4A0E83AD-F50F-4864-AC3E-BC9BDC2A3249_1_201_a.jpeg 84F7A0C1-A637-4A79-A46E-D5E1727C4929_1_201_a.jpeg 991572D5-C6FD-4982-978A-EF5E9F316224_1_201_a.jpeg FEF0048F-17B9-4FC3-8FAF-8E5B27FFCEFF_1_201_a.jpeg - one of which includes a yellowish stain on the top edge - have no idea where that came from.

3. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Your 62 Strat must be pretty amazingly mint.

4. Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer TDPRI Member

well - it has been resprayed once in its life and it apparently stayed in its case for a long time ;-)

I have also got a G&L ASAT which is 11 yrs old and it is pretty unmarked. I am not saying I don't like the Hahn - it is a great guitar - but not much time went into the body - that probably how he put them out for $1500

olaftheholy likes this.
  5. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

I don't know about the yellow stain, but all of those pin holes!!! A £100 Squier is better finished than that. Any chance of getting your money back?

6. Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer TDPRI Member

Thing is - it plays really well - what you call pinholes is where the grain is coming through the paint right. Would be interested to hear from the other model C owners.

maggieo likes this.
  7. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

In my small world, those finish issues are completely unacceptable. But I 'hear' that they are the idiosyncrasies of a 'boutique' builder. No. They are the results of poor processes. Would you accept this from any of the big brands at that price point, or any price point to be precise? I guess the answer would be no. Irrespective of the price, that's shockingly bad.

baiff likes this.
  8. Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer TDPRI Member

Well - it is an interesting topic - you also have retailers like Andertons putting out mega reliced Telecasters for £5k+. Fender themselves do it with their Custom shop. The Hahn is my main gigging guitar and is super versatile - that for me overrides the paint job.

guitrr and maggieo like this.
  9. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

With all due respect, if you want a dipped in polyurethane Squier, have at 'er. Hahn was crystal clear on his website about the finish on this guitar:

Finish. Like all Hahn guitars, the Model "C" is finished in nitrocellulose lacquer. The body receives only 10 coats, so the finish is slightly sunken and is not polished to glass-like shine. The neck receives a slight amber tint, and also receives only the necessary amount of finish to protect the wood; it is then taken down to a matte finish. All in all, the Model "C" has a worn-in feel, but is not reliced.

If you want 25 coats of nitro done to a perfect autobody shop shine, he sells those too. The price is different.

Also, if you can find a better hand built guitar by a world-renowned award-winning luthier at that price I am all ears. Personally, I have not found a better playing, sounding and feeling tele at twice the price.

10. professortwang

professortwang NEW MEMBER!

Matrix I couldn’t agree more with your post. Vintage telecasters had thin finishes, it’s why they look the way they do now. When I first started playing all we could get were reissues. At the time they had a thick poly undercoat and had more in common with a boat anchor than a guitar. Fender stated that complaints about thin finishes prompted the change.

As for the Hahn Campilongo telecaster. The guitar is a joy to play and sounds fantastic. It is masterfully built and I can’t believe how little I paid! I have owned and built many telecasters including custom shop teles. Nothing compares to the Hahn. Reading this thread makes me thankful I don’t build guitars for a living!

guitrr, matrix and olaftheholy like this.
  11. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

ace commenting. best in thread. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

personally i would have paid extra for that kind thin finish if hahn would have asked. that's how much i dig it.

n.b. fenders first issue of highway one strats and teles came with a single nitro finish that was meant to wear of quick.
    i remember my strat wearing thin on the armrest in about a month.

I'm goung to ask jim tonight how many artist models he really needs....

guitrr and matrix like this.
  12. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

#fenderplast is the word. its epoxy, not poly.
    ☮️

matrix likes this.
  13. monkaiboy

monkaiboy NEW MEMBER!

I'm seriously considering picking one of these up but I'd be keen to get anyone elses experience of how it looks after a year or so... I get the ethos and understand the motivation of keeping the cost down etc., just need to figure out if it would work for me/I can live with it...

Thanks,
    Kai

14. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I just bought a used Model C from (I believe) last fall’s production run. Love the neck, plays great, sounds great, but yeah, the body is much rough than I expected. Lots of tiny pinholes in the finish that look like inadequate surface prep, especially on the back.

15. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Looks like Hahn delivered exactly what he promised. If you don't like the raw finish don't buy one.

guitrr and maggieo like this.
  16. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

guitrr, SbS and El Tele Lobo like this.
  17. monkaiboy

monkaiboy NEW MEMBER!

Well, I bought it and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Finish is lovely, maybe I got a good one or maybe we're just all after slightly different thing, but it's pretty much as I expected from reading about the guitar initially.

And I haven't been able to put it down - the neck is great, and the pickups very mellow. It sounds almost like an acoustic.

guitrr, maggieo and matrix like this.
  18. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I had a chance to check one out a few months ago. The neck was amazing. Didn't notice any big-time finish flaws.

guitrr, maggieo and matrix like this.
  19. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I have had mine for over a year and a half. The finish is great, in my opinion. Smooth and even, while still letting the grain come through. I love looking at it.

I also have not really put it down since I got it. It has displaced all of my other guitars, and pretty much killed guitar-gas. I just don't feel like playing anything else. It just seems to cover all the sonic ground I want, and the neck just feels like home. It also has a pleasing "hum" to its unplugged tone, which makes it enjoyable to noodle on while watching the news or what have you.

I will have to figure out posting photos on this site to try and show off the finish.

guitrr, wclink and maggieo like this.
  20. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

What pickups are in your model?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.