new Hahn Campilongo Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ruger9, Dec 28, 2017.

1. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

This thread popped up...a month later no one is showing off their new Hahn so I’ll assume you’re still waiting.

Shortly after the refund hit I decided to go with a new American Original 50’s, found a deal for a bit less than I would have paid for the Hahn and it’s the perfect guitar for what I do - classic country/honky took. I’ve always had this philosophy that the right guitars find their way to me so it seems this whole thing turned out the way it was meant to be. I’m fine with that. It makes it’s debut onstage tonight, after getting used to it the past month I’m looking forward to playing it live.

I hope you all get your guitars soon and they are everything you hope for and want them to be. Play them in good health, Cheers!

guitrr, Evan6613 and DaveGo like this.
  2. Jode

Jode TDPRI Member

I received my Model C around ten days ago, with my partner's mum having kindly taken it on its final journey from NYC to Glasgow. My experience pretty much chimes with what many have been saying on this thread - the customer experience is somewhat lacking, but the guitar is incredible. I also don't believe that this is an either/or situation - It's possible to agree that it was ultimately worth the wait, but still feel like it could have been done better.

First, it's important to acknowledge the good. When I ordered on the phone, Chihoe was keen to make sure I knew what I was ordering (little did he know I'd been agonising and obsessing over this guitar for a while already!). His enthusiasm for the Model C was very evident, and deservedly so. My initial feeling upon picking it up was (perhaps inevitably after such anticipation) that it just felt like a tele, and maybe not as comfortable to me as my current #1. Three hours later I was still playing it. I barely got any sleep for the first three nights because I could not put the thing down. The setup is perfect - again, it felt a little strange to me at first, but the way this thing plays is making me play everything better. It smells amazing, as so many people have said. It rings like a bell. I've never seen a fret job like it. I can't wait to wear out these strings and try it top-loaded. The Model C was a lot of money for me - but it's a serious bargain.

However... I ordered in early May and was told 6-8 weeks. The guitar arrived in NYC in early November, six months later. During this time, I had tried to arrange an in-person pickup of the guitar to avoid unneccessary shipping (having been told this would be possible), but heard nothing until I got the UPS confirmation once it had been sent out. With all the online chatter about how long things were taking, I pretty much made peace with all this and decided not to stress out too much (the fact that I knew the guitar had another journey to make probably helped). 6/7/8/9 months for a handmade guitar is fine - just tell people that!

I remain somewhat puzzled by the 'upgrade' to the pickups. The guitar sounds great, and Lindy Fralin is obviously a reknowned winder - but he didn't wind the pickups that were in the demo video that convinced me to buy the guitar - Rob Banta did. Now, these pickups may indeed be 'better', but that's a very subjective thing, and I don't believe that this is a minor detail that should be suddenly announced on a messageboard without further info. What are the pickups? Are they the same spec, or something different? Again, just a little more communication can put minds at ease.

It seems like some Model Cs had double-cut bridge plates and some had regular uncut plates. Most of the photos I saw seemed to be double-cut - I thought that looked in keeping with the general aesthetic of the guitar and would have preferred it, but mine was a regular uncut one. I guess this could be seen as a minor detail, but tele players are pretty fussy about these details - I think it would have been preferable either to have been consistent or to offer a choice. Maybe someday I'll buy a double cut Hahn plate and upgrade a different tele with the other one.

Once again - the guitar is fantastic, and I am a happy customer overall... if Hahn does a similar project again, I'll be interested again. I'd love to think I could save up for a 910 someday, and I'm sure it would be worth the price tag.

If anyone is still waiting - I feel your pain, but it will be worth it!

3. MrNoTalent

MrNoTalent TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Telemaster, glad you got a nice Fender (they seem to be making a lot of great USA teles lately) and hope it's debut went well for you. Jode…..nice review...when I talked to Chihoe (back in Oct, I think) he said something about Fralin pickups, so I don't know if the newer C's are "better" or not, but evidently different from the early ones. I was about to request a refund on 1/28, when, all of a sudden, an email from UPS appeared on my computer with a tracking number and that it would be delivered on 1/31...only one problem....we were about to get the coldest weather in 20 years and it was supposed to be a hi of -15 on 1/31. I called and Chihoe actually answered (couldn't have been nicer, & C was not out the door yet) and agreed with me that it may not be good for the C to bounce around all day on a UPS truck in those temps (after all, I don't want the neck to look like a boomerang), so I left it on a "will advise" status....now I can't reach Chihoe, but that's ok...I would rather it travel in warmer weather even though, when it arrives, I'll let it sit in the box for a day and a half till it completely warms up to room temp and hopefully settles in to what it was like when he boxed it. At any rate, the end is now in sight. I ordered a month b4 Jode, but I knew the orders were not being filled in the order rec'd and that's ok with me. I will NOT be posting a video, though, for two reasons: 1) I don't know how and 2) I suck. If I did this, Chihoe would say "Take that thing down, dude, you're makin' my guitar look bad".

Hope everyone is now getting their C and that I'm the last one.

telemaster03, Evan6613 and Jode like this.
  4. Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer TDPRI Member

FYI - I started looking at Hahn Model C’s in early Jan - realised that the run had ended and pinged a hopeful e mail to Chihoe in case there were any left in stock. There were some - I ordered one and UPS tell me it will be delivered tomorrow - I ordered on Jan 21st. Chihoe throughout the process has been very friendly and courteous. Sometimes it takes him a couple of days to respond but I guess he is super busy making all the models in the range.

Maybe I have been lucky and people before me have born the brunt of somewhat mis set expectations. I will give the forum an update when it has turned up and I have played it - but judging by the universal feedback I am in for a treat!

guitrr and Brucesu like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Double duty. Either toploader or string through.

[​IMG]

6. JoeBubbit

JoeBubbit TDPRI Member

My initial conversation was to order a C. After talking with Chihoe for about 10 minutes, he swayed me towards the 112. This was late December. I paid him the money in full up front. I asked if the guitar would be ready at the end of January. He told me sometime in February. Got my tracking info today, it's been picked up and delivery is scheduled for Monday. I can't wait!!! Am glad to be on board with his pet project.
    Thank you, Chihoe! (rob)
    Will give a review of the 112 soon.

Evan6613, guitrr and Brucesu like this.
  7. tweed deluxe

tweed deluxe TDPRI Member

I got an email from UPS saying my Model C is on its way also. Can't wait!

8. tweed deluxe

tweed deluxe TDPRI Member

I received my Model C. Everything turned out great. I am very happy with it and would buy another guitar from Chihoe!

Brucesu, Jode and matrix like this.
  9. MrNoTalent

MrNoTalent TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

100_0802.JPG 100_0805.JPG 100_0804.JPG I also got my C last Tues after it rode around for 13 hours on the UPS truck in a cold snowstorm on the final day....let it sit in box for 16 hours b4 unpacking and it came out flawless....didn't get the upgraded Roadrunner or Hahn gig bag, instead the $24.99 Gator, but doesn't matter as I ordered a really nice hard case. For all the glowing comments I've read in the last 6 months, I'll just say "Ditto"!...it is a wonderful guitar and, as someone else said, worth the wait and you will forget about all the anxiety & frustration after finally getting it....amazed at the perfect setup (for me, anyway) and that it was in perfect tune (to my ears)...noodled around with it for 4 days b4 even putting a tuner on it as it sounded perfect every day....love the light weight and look of the unique finish and the tone is killer (play thru a Princeton)…..my serial # is 1804114 and I thought the "0411" referred to the date I ordered as it was April 11, but after seeing pics of others (Maggie's was one), I think I got the 114th C made (maybe the last one!). When I stop & think about it, its amazing Chihoe built at least 114 of these in about a years time (in addition to some of his much more expensive models) and I think he does almost all of this himself....no wonder the long wait...I think maybe the lack of communication was that he didn't want anyone to cancel, but if they did, he would have no trouble selling to someone else....I think he may be inundated with more requests for Model C's once they get played "in public". If I had to nitpick, the only thing I'd say is that when the "top hat" pickup selector is in the bridge position it is really close to the volume knob and my finger hits the knob first sometimes if I want to change while playing, but that's because of lack of hand/eye and basic "clumsyness". I would like to know what a "double cut" bridge plate is (as Jode mentioned) and I'm assuming the string ferrules are solidly glued in (mine came "string thru") but I may try top loading when its time to change strings to see what that feels like. So, all in all, very impressed with the C and my "tele army" is now complete and the Model C is the "5 star general" Tried to include pics, but as you can see, I'm not good at this.

Attached Files:

maggieo, guitrr and Brucesu like this.
  10. Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer TDPRI Member

Got mine delivered to the UK about 3 weeks ago ( 1804116) - again ditto for the guitar except it was in desperate need of a set up. Took it to Knight Guitars in Addlestone and it now plays beautifully. As an aside I also took my 62 Strat to the guy which I have never really liked playing - Knight have re fretted it and "blocked" the bridge a la Clapton and I now love this guitar - playing it more than the model C. I had to wait 2 weeks because the guy was servicing Noel Gallagher's ES 330 - another beautiful guitar.

MrNoTalent likes this.
  11. Jeffery Young

Jeffery Young TDPRI Member

Just received 1804117 on Vancouver Island, Canada. Took about a month to get to me once shipped, partly due to some info missing for customs - it looked like it was going to be shipped back to Hahn, but eventually came my way.

Very happy with the guitar overall. Needed a truss rod adjustment, but otherwise setup was very good. Neck is slightly thinner than my preference, but I like the compound radius. Frets are decent (could benefit from a bit of cleanup/polish). I'm a fan of the very light/matte finish on the guitar body. Hardware is really impressive and pickups are great. It's a very delicate sound with great dynamic range. Great acoustic resonance and quite balanced in tone (not thick, not thin). I'm a 95% clean neck position tele player but I'd say the pickups and tone/volume knobs on this guitar offer more interesting and usable options than I'm used to.

Does anyone have any details on these (I assume to be) Fralin pickups?

guitrr likes this.
  12. Jeffery Young

For those interested Chihoe says the Fralin pickups in the later Model C's are slightly overwound.

guitrr likes this.
  13. Chihoe Hahn

Chihoe Hahn TDPRI Member

Hey everyone... I am hoping everyone has their guitars by now... there might be one or two folks still left and if that is you please reach out cause I have your guitar!

Anyway, to clarify in pickups- I think the demo everyone is referring to is the long (nearly 10 minute I think) video I shot with Jim at his apartment. That guitar already had the Fralin pickups in it- I hope everyone is happy with them. We did the first 15 or so with Rob's - and they were great- but I was looking for something a little different (I don't want to go into what, exactly) so Jim and I tried the new wind. We agreed we liked it better, so we made the change in this guitar and all subsequent guitars.

As for the bridges- we simply did not have stock to make all these guitars so at various points we used the low rail and standard rail versions. Other than that they are the same in deminsions and quality.

Gig bags- same deal. We ordered a bunch of custom "Hahn" bags but production was slow and the bulk of them actually just arrived. We are going to offer them at cost for all original purchasers of the C - details to come.

I'll keep checking back here so please let me know what is good and bad about the guitar. Customer service... I know!:) working on it! Thanks, Chihoe

guitrr, MrNoTalent and Jeffery Young like this.
  14. telesteel

telesteel TDPRI Member

Hi,

I am also a Model C owner. Chihoe has taken a lot of stick in this forum thread regarding orders and deliveries of this guitar. I want to relate my experience, which has been entirely positive.

I came late to the Model C. I’m a longtime Campilongo fan. I’ve seen his shows in NYC at Rockport 2 and 55 Bar many times. I’ve got many of his records that I have bought at the shows, as well as some other “merch.” So it is strange that I didn’t really know about the Hahn Model C until recently. I had thought that Campilongo had the Fender signature model only. But then I found out about the Hahn Model C. I read on Chihoe’s blog that the run of Model Cs had run out. I reached out to him via Reverb. He got right back to me. He said he had one Model C left, a customer had canceled their order, and would I like it? Yes please! He said it was all boxed up and ready to go. I sent him the funds via PayPal on a Saturday, and he said it would ship out that Monday. Chihoe was true to his word! It showed up a week later, having come clear across the country to the West Coast. I unpacked it, and I am happy to say it made the trip without issues! It was also amazingly in perfect relative tune. This guitar is really lively! It plays great. The neck is excellent, and the pine body makes for a light guitar. It sounds amazing, both acoustically and plugged into amps. I’ve given this instrument quite the workout, and every note on this guitar up and down the fretboard rings out loud and clear; the fretwork is superlative. I own quite a number of guitars. Usually my Fender tone needs are handled by my G&L ASAT models. I have a 1993 ASAT Classic that I bought new, as well as a 1998 ASAT Classic III and a more recent ASAT Bluesboy. Those are all great guitars that I have gigged extensively. This Hahn Model C may surpass them all, which is quite the achievement. I can’t make a definitive judgment until I have played this Model C out live a few times. But so far, I am very impressed!

Chihoe was great throughout the process. His replies to my inquiries were prompt, courteous and informative. Having read some of the experiences of others, I admit to having some trepidation. But it all worked out great. Chihoe is a man of his word in my experience. I would not hesitate to order another guitar from him. For those who have had lesser experiences, I think it likely due to Chihoe’s perfectionism. I think he isn’t happy unless every instrument he crafts reflects his commitment to absolute quality. He’s an artist and likely project management is not his forte. That is more than an equitable trade off in my opinion! I can only imagine the monumental task of getting all these guitars built and shipped out, while strictly adhering to his standard of quality. I hope he gets to take some vacation time now!

Some more notes on the actual guitar: Mine has Fralin pickups, they sound awesome. Mine also does not have the cut down sides on the bridge. That doesn’t matter to me because
    I am strictly a bare fingers player. There is also variation in the degree of tinting applied to the neck from one guitar to the next. You can even see that in some of the Model C group photos and videos he has published. My one has very little tinting, the maple is quite light in color. Again, doesn’t matter to me, and time will apply its own tint anyway! The pine body has kind of a rustic look. It’s not glass smooth like ash or alder. If you look at it at an angle, you can see the “piney” undulations in the body appearance. The lacquer is very thin so that effect is even more pronounced. Finally, the position of the “Jim Campilongo” decal on the back of the headstock varies among them. Mine is a bit closer to the edge than others I have seen. I couldn’t give a rat’s ass about any of that ****e. I’m a player and I want sound, man! That’s what matters. And in that regard, Chihoe has delivered a very high quality, professional grade instrument that is immensely enjoyable. Thanks Chihoe, both from me and my “fans!”

Oh, one last thing. Mine came with the low end, “quaint” Gator gig bag. I’ll be buying the new Hahn bag that Chihoe has mentioned!

Again, kudos to Chihoe!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    maggieo, Jeffery Young and guitrr like this.
  15. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

For you owners and players of the model C's - how does the compound radius fretboard feel and play for you?

I'd imagine it must be a pretty subtle difference in feel, 7-1/4" to 9-1/2" if I understand correctly. But, I may be wrong in that assumption that it's a subtle difference :).

I'm not interested so much in how the neck itself feels, but rather more in how the radius of the fretboard feels and plays - chords, single notes, and bends, that sort of thing.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

16. Jeffery Young

I think the 7.25 to 9.5" compound radius is perfect. It definitely plays like a vintage Fender-style neck but the compound shift seems to work well at alleviating fretting out. The compound radius ratio also seems about perfect for even string height across the neck and allows for low action if that is your preference.

guitrr and old wrench like this.
  17. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Honestly, I had no idea it was a compound neck, just that it's one of the best guitars I've ever played!

18. MX80

MX80 TDPRI Member

I believe mine is #7 and it's a love/hate relationship.

Love playing it, great neck and it stays in tune better than any guitar I own. It's a different action than I'm used to, slinky is the best word I can think of, but once I settle in I play it for hours.

Now the cons:

Badly needed a setup when it arrived, lots of buzzing and dead spots.

Jack mount was loose, my guitar guy tightened it and it's loose again.

Pickup selector knob broke off in my hand.

Finish on the back of the neck seems thin, I already have two scratches in the finish and no idea how they happened.

A lot of noise from the pickups.

But I'm committed to making this relationship work so she's going back to the shop for another tuneup, I'd say we're about 90% there.

maggieo and Brucesu like this.
  19. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Double duty. He sells his bridges separately too.

20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The earlier Model C’s had Cavaliers? Which model Cavs?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.