New guy/New player

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by markus1022, May 16, 2017.

1. markus1022

markus1022 TDPRI Member

Hey everyone. I'm new on the forum and a relatively new guitar player. I've been a banjo player for years, and am starting to try and learn more on the guitar. I have played acoustic mostly and don't have an electric yet.

I am looking for suggestions (with my budget being 2k) of what to look for in an electric. I want to play blues and classic country (think Merle Haggard which is why I am leaning towards a tele). If any one has anything suggestions as to what I should be looking for, I would welcome any advice. I wouldn't be closed off to a strat either, but there is something about a tele that appeals to me.

I live in chicago burbs and there is a guitar show coming up this Saturday, so I will be able to get my hands on alot of different guitars. I can figure out what I like as far as playability, feel etc, but when it comes to electronics, pickups etc. I'm lost.

Also, if I don't need to spend 2k yet on a guitar I'd like to hear about that too. I am open to any and all feedback. Thanks everyone!

tery likes this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

2K for a guitar, or for a guitar and an amp? There are lots of choices in that price range. You can get a great guitar and a nice moddeling amp for around $1200.

Go to the show, and explore neck and fret board profiles. That will help - this may not be a quick journey, though. It took me about 2 years to pick the right Tele.

Oh - and welcome to the TDPRI! We are here to help.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!

4. markus1022

markus1022 TDPRI Member

Thanks unixfish. I have an amp....Fender Mustang I think? Do I need something different?

As far as the guitar, Yeah part of me is thinking about getting a cheaper MIM tele and then figuring out from there exactly what I am looking for. There is a good guitar guy here locally that has one ready to go.

5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

You don't need to spend 2k on a guitar. You CAN spend 2k on a guitar but there are plenty of fantastic electrics in the 700-1500 dollar range. If you've got the money and the guitar you want is 2k then do it, but don't think you need to set that as your price point.

I really love strats and have heard good things about the American Professional series. But there are so many strats and teles on the market it's hard to give advice because it may not be what you're into. But go check out that show see what you like. I'd also recommend checking out Reverb for some decent used gear.

Good luck!

Johnson johnson and markus1022 like this.
  6. unixfish

Mustang I is a good starting point - it will get you by until you decide what direction to take, then will still be a faithful home companion after that. I have a Mustang III - which I love.

A MIM is a good choice to get started. They are quality instruments, and easy to re-sell if you want to upgrade. I have a Baja - a top of the line MIM - because I love the chunkier neck. The MIM Standard has the "modern C" neck that most Teles use. You really cannot go too far wrong there, and they are easy to upgrade if you find you don't like "x".

Like I said - play a bunch at the show and see if anything catches your fancy.

markus1022 likes this.
  7. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

If you had said: I want a tele with a 7.25" radius, c shaped neck with vintage frets, then I'd say go for it. But you don't know what you like yet so go to the store and don't look at the price tag just ask them to pull different necks for you. All you want to focus on is the neck. What radius feels best? Do you like vintage frets or medium jumbos? C shape? U shape? Figure all that out then get yourself a cheap guitar with those specs because it's bound to change. Now take the extra $1500 and get some lessons. Then in a year if you're still playing, get yourself a nice tele with your specs. For me, Ron Kirn's guitars are great for the money.

8. unixfish

...then report back for way too many opinions on what you "should do". :lol::lol:

markus1022 likes this.
  9. markus1022

markus1022 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. Think I'm gonna go to the show and put my hands on as many as I can, prolly buy a MIM tele or strat with a neck I like and like Jules said, take some lessons.......... to be continued.

Steve Holt likes this.
  10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to TDPRI :) ... You can get a new MIM Tele for $600 & a Boss Katana 50 amp for $200 .

markus1022 likes this.
  11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Good call. I know within a few seconds of playing whether I'll like or love the guitar based on how the neck feels to me. I bought a Jaguar recently that I planned to resell for a profit because the buyer was selling it pretty cheap on Reverb, then I got the thing and played it and it has one of the best necks I've ever felt. I think it's mine now!

markus1022 likes this.
  12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the forum!

String___________:::}

markus1022 likes this.
  13. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to TDPRI!!

14. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome, Markus.

And don't expect me to suggest you try Strats for what you want to play.

Sure, a Strat can get you there, but it ain't gonna twang like a Tele, and you sure won't feel like Merle.

Two pups on the Tele is what you want. Until you add a 1-pup Esquire, which is what you'll also want.

markus1022 likes this.
  15. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

I'm excited for you as you journey forward! My first electric for lessons years ago was a 180 buck DeArmond LP type. It was easier to practice on than my acoustic, and I paired it with a 25 buck used practice amp. That rig did not move me sonically, however. Last year I decided to get serious playing and get something a little more better, and got an Epi Les Paul and Bugera tube amp (both used). That $700 rig was a quantum leap over the $200 rig. I enjoyed it, but discovered I really wanted single coil sounds. This year, I swapped that rig out for a new G&L ASAT USA with a used Vox AC15. Still waaay under 2k all in with money left over for pedals and such. I feel very happy with my current rig, but it took some playing and especially listening to get here. Take your time and enjoy learning what you like and what those you like to listen to play. If you go used, the churning of gear is not very expensive. I bet I keep my G&L a very long time. It's a fine instrument. Good luck!

16. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the forum.

I played acoustic for a long time before I connected with electrics, and I would advise, if spending that kind of $, to give rather more thought to the amp than to the guitar. The amp is where to tone comes from, the guitars is just a fancy piece of wood that holds the pickups. The reason it took me so long the get into electrics is because I failed to appreciate the importance of the amp. I personally would be thinking in terms of a few hundred, say $600 to $800, for the guitar and the rest on the amp and other associated gear.

markus1022 likes this.
  17. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard! Why don't you just give me the 2k and I'll pick you up a nice starter kit? ;)

Seriously, you could buy my main guitar (new, I bought it used), my pedalboard and pedals, and cables to hook it all up and have several hundred left over. And I didn't pay retail!
    I envy you, sir. :)

markus1022 likes this.
  18. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

The guys starting electric at 12 years old = no money, but plenty of time. Guys starting at 42 = no time, but plenty of money. Well, actually there's never enough money.

jannodude and markus1022 like this.
  19. markus1022

markus1022 TDPRI Member

I ended up buying this guitar yesterday. It's the 60's baja in "faded sonic blue." It doesn't look blue at all to me, but I don't see colors the best. I was impressed with the craftsmanship. I wasn't expecting a ton from what I read about MIM Fenders, but this thing has a really nice neck and the frets seem smooth on the edges.

I wanna thank all you guys who gave advice on getting a MIM first. I think that was a good choice for me at this point.

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  20. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Sweet. Enjoy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.