New Guy, Bass Amps ?

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
I used to play open air gigs with a 73 Ampeg SVT and the sound was amazing! But it definitely was walking all over everyone else's frequencies unless the bass was below 2

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member
The TKO I posted a photo of ^^^ actually does a pretty cool snarly gritty thing with guitar if you crank it pretty hard and set the EQ for an upper mid boost and a bass and lower mids cut. It sounds cool to me, kind of a classic rock guitar-with-treble booster kind of vibe...but it’s got to be pretty loud so it still ends up
Being a heavy one-trick pony.

When I run the Zoom modeler through it though, I really like how the Zoom sounds through the Scorpion 15 speaker, even at low volume levels, for clean and dirty sounds.
Which Zoom unit do you have ? I think I already mentioned I've had the gt1b for over a year. Ordered the GT1 and returned it, I just liked the GT1B more, even for guitar.

Looking at more capable loopers being I plan on going solo, but for now I need to just get good at using a looper so I'll used the 22 second one that's already on the GT1B

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member
Thank You for all the response and input. I think I signed up here back in winter 6 months ago. Since then my focus is on guitar, this is probably my new home :)

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Which Zoom unit do you have ? I think I already mentioned I've had the gt1b for over a year. Ordered the GT1 and returned it, I just liked the GT1B more, even for guitar.

Looking at more capable loopers being I plan on going solo, but for now I need to just get good at using a looper so I'll used the 22 second one that's already on the GT1B
I have an old Zoom B2 I bought used on Craigslist several years ago. I’d been borrowing a friend’s Line 6 Pod 2.0 (guitar version) to experiment with using it as a bass preamp, driving a power amp and bass cab. I liked it, and when it was time to give it back I looked around for a used one, or something similar. Found the B2 and have really come to like it, for guitar and lap steel too.

I have a song up in the Twanger Central forum where all the guitar tracks are sounds I’m getting from the B2:

The main crunchy rhythm starts as Zoom’s Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive sound. There’s a glitchy synthy Line here and there from a bass synth sound that gets freaky when you play guitar into it. There’s also a clean, tremoloed sound doubling the crunch sound in places, and some texture-adding chords that come from the Zoom Acoustic 360 amp model with the gain dimed. Some of the bass amp models don’t go interesting places with guitar (to my ear); I haven’t gotten much from the SVT or the Trace Elliot models. But the Hartke and SWR can be EQed into cool clean or gritty clean sounds, and Bassman 100 can do nice sorta-Fendery sounds and the tube preamp sound can cover some ground.

I feel like they got the form factor and functionality right in a lot of ways with this unit.

Last edited:

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member
I have an old Zoom B2 I bought used on Craigslist several years ago. I’d been borrowing a friend’s Line 6 Pod 2.0 (guitar version) to experiment with using it as a bass preamp, driving a power amp and bass cab. I liked it, and when it was time to give it back I looked around for a used one, or something similar. Found the B2 and have really come to like it, for guitar and lap steel too.

I have a song up in the Twanger Central forum where all the guitar tracks are sounds I’m getting from the B2:

The main crunchy rhythm starts as Zoom’s Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive sound. There’s a glitchy synthy Line here and there from a bass synth sound that gets freaky when you play guitar into it. There’s also a clean, tremoloed sound doubling the crunch sound in places, and some texture-adding chords that come from the Zoom Acoustic 360 amp model with the gain dimed. Some of the bass amp models don’t go interesting places with guitar (to my ear); I haven’t gotten much from the SVT or the Trace Elliot models. But the Hartke and SWR can be EQed into cool clean or gritty clean sounds, and Bassman 100 can do nice sorta-Fendery sounds and the tube preamp sound can cover some ground.

I feel like they got the form factor and functionality right in a lot of ways with this unit.
Thank you for the details !!!! It looks like it's a lot easier to operate than newer models. It sure sounds like it worked just fine.
🙂
It's has a drum machine as well ? Did you use that much ?

The reviews on this are really impressive, it seems as though most people that got one were highly impressed with what it did and had no plans to upgrade....

Last edited:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Hi,

Not sure why I was signed up here but I Like a lot of the posts and info/discussions. (I recieved a link via email, clicked and started browsing)

I've played guitar all my life, Bass the last 10 years but more into guitar than ever.

With the bands and playing Bass I accumulated more amp equipment and fell in love with the fender rumble series. Now that I'm back to guitar I've found more than i'll ever need with the bass amps. I'm having no trouble getting sounds that please me with amps that are capable of volumes i doubt I'll ever need or use, so naturally i'm happy the $$$ I spent is great for both bass and guitar.

Have you played through a Bass amp, or do you ? just wondering how common this is.

Thanks !!!!

Joe
Yep, in most cases guitars plugged into a good bass amp works out well after a little knob twiddling. I had a 100 watt reissue all tube Ampeg B-15 Portaflex Combo from the '90s or early 2000s that I used for playing electric guitar in the band I was in at the time and it worked great. Too bad I sold it in one of my downsizings.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Thank you for the details !!!! It looks like it's a lot easier to operate than newer models. It sure sounds like it worked just fine.
🙂
It's has a drum machine as well ? Did you use that much ?

The reviews on this are really impressive, it seems as though most people that got one were highly impressed with what it did and had no plans to upgrade....
It does have a drum machine, but I have yet to use it. I will try it on one of my recordings at some point; some of the patterns are pretty cool and it would be interesting to hear how the sounds work with some FX applied in the DAW.

I’ve been trying to do my own simple patterns in the recording app (BandLab) sequencer for the past year or so, thinking that will teach me more about how drum parts work (or not work!)

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member
A lot has happened in the last few days. I found a Zoom B2 in almost new condition, still in the box, ordered from guitar center. Before it even shipped I realized it had no looper. Didn't even plug it in returned it in person to guitar center in person today.

That's where I usually get in trouble. Played a cheap Tele on the floor and was amazed at how easy it was to play and how widely Spaced the stings were.

My buddy said he'd let me borrow one of his to check it out and also showed me the various available nut sizes. Maybe that'll work out a nut is cheaper than a guitar.

Left guitar center with a Boss RC5 loop pedal and an am really impressed. Used it at practice today went over well.

Just ordered the Boss RC500 WHICH is similar, but has two loops and made more for live performing, I'll just keep whichever one I like more and return the other.

Either way it won't cost me anything to return. I just thought enough already I'm trying to get this all sorted by posting questions on the internet, when I really need to get something in my hands and see first hand what it's like, I'm really kinda pumped with this new looper, it was great having different drum kits etc I can Deff see myself using either one of these.
20220604_045054.jpg

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
My favorite guitar amp is my Fender '59 Bassman reissue with four stock Jensen P10R alnico blue speakers. Its a lot more amp than I need but it is my favorite.

While I am mostly a guitar player, I do have four bass guitars. I have two amps for bass; a Rumble 25 and a Hardtke LH500 head with two speaker cabs (both Avatar; one a 15 inch and one with 2 10" Neos). One day by chance, I plugged a guitar into my Rumble and was floored at the pristine clean and bell like tones I got out of it. So you are absolutely right, Rumble bass amps are really good as guitar amps, too.

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member
My favorite guitar amp is my Fender '59 Bassman reissue with four stock Jensen P10R alnico blue speakers. Its a lot more amp than I need but it is my favorite.

While I am mostly a guitar player, I do have four bass guitars. I have two amps for bass; a Rumble 25 and a Hardtke LH500 head with two speaker cabs (both Avatar; one a 15 inch and one with 2 10" Neos). One day by chance, I plugged a guitar into my Rumble and was floored at the pristine clean and bell like tones I got out of it. So you are absolutely right, Rumble bass amps are really good as guitar amps, too.
I kind of did it by chance too, I never really had a proper amp for guitar since I never played in a band or out except for bass....

Can't tell you after spending all that on bass amps knowing they will now be used since I'm more into guitar.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Hi,

Not sure why I was signed up here but I Like a lot of the posts and info/discussions. (I recieved a link via email, clicked and started browsing)

I've played guitar all my life, Bass the last 10 years but more into guitar than ever.

With the bands and playing Bass I accumulated more amp equipment and fell in love with the fender rumble series. Now that I'm back to guitar I've found more than i'll ever need with the bass amps. I'm having no trouble getting sounds that please me with amps that are capable of volumes i doubt I'll ever need or use, so naturally i'm happy the $$$ I spent is great for both bass and guitar.

Have you played through a Bass amp, or do you ? just wondering how common this is.

Thanks !!!!

Joe
I have a hotrodded '65 Bassman head originally designed, I think, for bass. Guitar sounds great on it.

In general, they say bass amps are fine for guitar, but bass guitars have too much signal for guitar amps.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I have a hotrodded '65 Bassman head originally designed, I think, for bass. Guitar sounds great on it.

In general, they say bass amps are fine for guitar, but bass guitars have too much signal for guitar amps.
More specifically, it’s guitar speakers that are trouble with bass. The amp circuit doesn’t give a rip. Some guitar amp designs shape a bass signal just fine, when plugged into appropriate speakers with the cone travel and suspension to take the stress of transducing bass signal...and equally important, mounted in an enclosure designed to work with those speakers.

Sometimes bass works through guitar amps, even open back cabinet ones, at very low levels...a bandmate recorded his Jazz bass with a miked 1970s Deluxe Reverb combo on some songs once and it sounded great. In a vintage kind of way. But the amp was no louder than spoken conversation. Had he turned it up looking for some tube grunt that speaker would have been on the moon.

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member

It took me forever to shell out for my first bass that I wasn't sure I would use. Took it home and yeah no dice through my guitar amp. Next weekend I went back for an amp and almost walked out without one. Didn't want to drag it out and need another trip, I turned around walked up to the salesman and said hey just tell me which one you'd get on my budget.

He picked The GK MB115. Good choice it served me well. It was the one year there was no output jack for another cab, by the time I needed one the conversion kits were no longer available. It served me well for me first 10 years or so. Once I started playing out with full bands I switched over to the Fender Rumble line. Man I feel really lucky for what i spent and playing guitar as well they deff do a great job for both bass and guitar. I never had more than a small practice amp for guitar, but with the Rumbles, I have more than I'll ever need for both...

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
It took me forever to shell out for my first bass that I wasn't sure I would use. Took it home and yeah no dice through my guitar amp. Next weekend I went back for an amp and almost walked out without one. Didn't want to drag it out and need another trip, I turned around walked up to the salesman and said hey just tell me which one you'd get on my budget.

He picked The GK MB115. Good choice it served me well. It was the one year there was no output jack for another cab, by the time I needed one the conversion kits were no longer available. It served me well for me first 10 years or so. Once I started playing out with full bands I switched over to the Fender Rumble line. Man I feel really lucky for what i spent and playing guitar as well they deff do a great job for both bass and guitar. I never had more than a small practice amp for guitar, but with the Rumbles, I have more than I'll ever need for both...
Yeah, the Rumble line fills its niche admirably: an affordable no-frills amp that sounds great. Glad it came along. If I ever need a bass amp, that's probably what I'll get.