New Guy at Work has Lunch all Figured out!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 2HBStrat, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The most popular BBQ restaurant in Eagle (a very high end suburb of Boise), The Bodacious Pig, has a sloppy Joe on their lunch menu. It is made from chopped BBQ beef and pork left over from the previous day. It is the single most popular item on their menu. If you want one for lunch, you either call and order it early after they open or take your chances (not good) they still have any when you get there. They use mirepoix and finely diced red and green bell peppers in the mix with their house BBQ sauce. It is absolute heaven on a bun.

I make my own with the same vegetable mix, ground sirloin or rib steak and a good BBQ sauce. Not as good as The Pig's, but pretty damn tasty.

2. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

My two cents,
    I'm uncomfortable whenever work has any catered food events tied in with either a team building event, a lunch and learn :rolleyes:, or the annual Christmas Party Luncheon in the breakroom.

At least when they had the Christmas Party outside of the company building I could get a grilled chicken dinner in lieu of the pans full of stuff I wish I could eat.

Now, because I don't want to be "That Gyrl ", I take a vacation day and skip the party.

As far as the other events, I beg off...go home and eat lunch, return for the learning part. I actually get two lunch periods, however I have to sit there watching people shove pizza into their months. Kind of sucks....

I refuse to join team building events.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

How do you expect to rise to the loft heights of ScrumMaster with that attitude? :)

FenderGyrl and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds like the name for a signature sloppy joe.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Greasy meat prepared not so well - lots of things prepared not so well - would be hard on my stomach but spices are not.

I'm not a fan of going too heavy or greasy at lunch. If I do it's probably more like today's with the richness coming from some walnuts and tangy cheese.

The salad: Home made pickled beets, apple slices, blue cheese & walnuts.
    Slice of toasted sourdough.
    Slice of home made apple cake.
    Black tea.

Dinner will probably come from the whole chicken we baked Sunday. I predict Mexican style.

Some establishments really are fine and we both live in a metro area with nation leading stats for fine independent places to eat. I've said here that my mother in law came here from Europe as a chef so I'm very spoiled. A few of Madison's finest are in her and my wife's league.

We've learned how to enrich our own lives daily by going to some fine establishments when we travel but we've also been disappointed because a lot of people just don't really know good food.

To be fair there's little I don't like except for stuff that's too rich or poorly done.

As a kid I liked my mom's version. I was grossed out when I watched a friend's mom make it and at events like scouts or potlucks when you see all the fat.

It's really like barbecue so my married life versions are more of a chopped barbecue. When we do a rich cut or something like smoke a pork shoulder we cool it first, pick through to remove fat, and end up with very lean strings or chopped bits we brown.

For convenience and honestly hard to beat we will often use a local "Smokey John's" sauce that really is award winning, good, and Smokey John himself lives in our old neighborhood. At times to switch it up or get another twist there can be something else home made.

For a while now we've been on Korean themed or style barbecue stuff, flavors and sauces.

If a work day lunch can't be quality and interesting I do something very basic and simple.

6. blowtorch

Good stuff, yep!

I find basic and simple is fully capable of being quality and interesting. But I'm very likely too dumb to know better. Hell, I still like Pabst in a bottle

7. imwjl

Totally. I go for bread with good texture and taste, decent cheese and fruit when people around me go for slop.

BTW, it's been determined that leftover from a whole chicken in the other post will be homemade biscuits and chicken.

8. blowtorch

Why anyone would go for anything else, unless they are say diabetic and trying to get that very lo carb stuff, is just beyond me

I mean, wonder bread- who actually BUYS that crap?

9. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Free Food … Yum :)

2HBStrat likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

when the aliens come and destroy the earth... the few that are left will be foraging through the wreckage and while a few stalks of broccoli and a lonely carrot or two might be a good find... I guarantee after 40 days in the wreckage of a ruined earth... a CAN of sloppy joe will result in a loud roar of approval by any who finds it!

11. imwjl

We certainly have junky stuff in our diet but also make sincere efforts to have good stuff and the raw fruits and vegetables advised. That tonight's meal - the biscuits - is processed flower but the carrots, celery etc... are getting chopped now. We're not so sure about all the antibiotics and fast growth so that the whole chicken was a hippie type purchase but it's not like we buy everything at hippie stores. We are a split between Metcalfe's and COSTCO with occasional Aldi and Trader Joe stops. We don't eat that much meat and the Metcalfe's old school butchers never let us down.

getbent likes this.
  12. imwjl

I've had less than ideal times in life or in travels when stuff in a can or wrapped in plastic was far more precious or safe.

I'm also of an American dream family. When I was little my parents' generation were all 1/2 to a full head taller than theirs with much thanks to the fortified bread, cans, and boxes of stuff.

13. blowtorch

My parents both grew up on farms. Meals were hearty, because you needed fuel for the fields. And they didn't worry about pouring sugar on everything, or excess carb intake

How many of us still do hard manual farmwork from sunup til sundown, everyday?
    Most of us spend our "work"day sitting on our asses for the most part

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

If one associates sloppy joes with the stuff of school lunches I can understand the confusion and apprehension.
    No.
    just no.

Canned near dog-food indeed.

Manwitch? Maybe. With some doctoring up.
    brown the meat and drain it well.
    add some seasoning.
    let it simmer long and slow until the protein goes past absorbing the sauce and simmering into the range where it starts to break down a bit.
    And yes, the right bun.

But then theres home made.
    Not like the school cook re-heated.
    And not like mama made for a quick dinner.

Yes its messy. Thus the term "sloppy"
    Options. If that bothers you eat it open faced with a fork.
    I eat most as a messy sandwitch, clean up my plate with a fork and hunt down seconds.

i consider it a treat.
    Not weekly, but certainly puts a smile on my face when the option is suggested.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  15. BigDaddyLH

You've finally sold it to me!

Sloppy Joes -- it's what's for dinner!!!

[​IMG]

"Don't worry mister. We can still pan-fry you a hamburger."

[​IMG]

drf64, Toto'sDad and getbent like this.
  16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

this is your finest post.... EVAH! (that was my winston churchill imitation)

17. MarkieMark

i'll have to disqualify myself from that.
    while both sides of my family come from a small agro operation background, I am just a hobby gardener.

but I dont sit until the workday is done really. I have measured and averaged over 9000 steps during the workday for four decades.
    and it takes serious fuel to maintain.....

18. BigDaddyLH

Thankyuhvurrymuch. The Road made a big impression on me. A view into the near future.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

Note to self: find out how many calories flexing burns off.

20. MarkieMark

Depends.

Are you "flexing", "clenching" of "Kegalling"?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.