New Guy and his CNC Tele (Body)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jacob Banderob, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Jacob Banderob

Jacob Banderob TDPRI Member

Hey guys!

Long time lurker here, I've been following TDPRI and specifically the DIY Channels for what feels like 10 years...

Just a bit of background, I have been hacking together parts casters, re-finishing guitars that would have been otherwise garbage and building various other things (Pedals, Amps, Cabs, Aircraft) for as long as I have been able to hand my dad a tool... My latest Foray has been into the world of CNC, I recently built an Open-builds Lead 1010 CNC Router at the request of my partner in crime (previously mentioned father) for cutting MDF sheet aluminum formers for the plane we are working on. I figured what better way to get myself a tool that I have always wanted but never been able to justify.

Fast forward a couple of months, I finally got the machine up and running, and have started testing work flow, and the best way I thought I could do that was to build a new guitar! Now, I am admittedly more of a Strat Guy, but have been recently jonesing for a p-90 guitar, which along with the fact that the design of a Tele is quite a bit simpler, I decided to build myself one of those!

So, the plan,
    -White Limba 2 piece body (relatively inexpensive from my local guys)
    -Single Coil /Standard Bridge
    -P-90 Neck
    -Mighty Mite Neck (ease of access here in Canada)
    -Lake Placid Blue Nitro finish (new Nitro paint distributor in my neck of the woods who does rattle cans)
    -Probably mainly Gotoh hardware since my local wood distributor keeps a good stock.

Hoping to keep you guys up to date with pictures and maybe a video or two over the next few weeks,

Jacob

2. Jacob Banderob

First Cuts with the CNC This Morning
    [​IMG]

Working file based on Rev E Blueprints
    [​IMG]

My working SVG that gets uploaded to CAM software
    [​IMG]

CAM Software, you can see toolpath for all of the pilot holes in this picture
    [​IMG]

Cutting into MDF to test dimensions, I am very new to CNC (I started this morning) so I am working out some scaling issues transferring between software.
    [​IMG]

Finished test cut (shockingly all dimensions checked out to the plans)
    [​IMG]

Body Blank, White Limba, very woody sounding...
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys! like I said, I am pretty new at the whole CNC thing so if anyone out there has any tips let me know! I have quite a bit of experience with 3D printing and a bit of a graphic design background (hence the use of Corel Draw, don't judge me) so the learning curve isn't too steep, but I'm sure there will be more road blocks ahead!

Jacob

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You may want to give Easel a try for the heck of it. It's pretty basic 2.5D and is free. It takes an SVG. Lots of newbie Xcarve owners use it.

crazydave911 and Jacob Banderob like this.
  4. spyderxxx

spyderxxx Tele-Meister

Welcome

crazydave911 and Jacob Banderob like this.
  5. Jacob Banderob

Finished up some meetings this morning and headed back out to the garage to keep working,

This was my plan for the day...

[​IMG]

After a whole bunch of fighting with my CAM "Software" , which is an online applet that sometimes works, I got things going.

[​IMG]

I ended up having to do each pocket as a different piece of G-Code, Thankfully there is some handy tools to get your router zeroed damn near perfectly every time.

[​IMG]

After a whole bunch of finger crossing things turned out really well, I even managed to counter-sink the control cavity cover, I didn't take any pictures of the 10 test cuts I made before getting the dimensions correct.

[​IMG]

I had planned at stopping here for the day, but ended up going a bit further and got the outline milled out,

[​IMG]

Due to limitations of my machine I am unable to cut the complete depth without some serious jerrymandering, so I am going to finish with the CNC here, cut out the remainder on a bandsaw and finish it on the router table.

The only thing left on the front of the body (other than the outside shape) is to make the control cavity deeper using the plunge router, again, limitations of the machine make it difficult to cut deep pockets into the 1 3/4" slab. The pocket is currently 15mm deep (arbitrary number) and I will take it down the rest of the way at a later date.

The neck and pickup pockets are all the correct depth and 1/8" Pilot holes were put in but only 1cm in depth, I will finish that on the drill press.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I've found that I prefer having g code for each cavity because then you can mix and match styles just by cutting and pasting the text for them in a new file. Tele with a humbucker...no problem...... Stratele...no problem...just save all you files with good titles...LOL.

Jacob Banderob and crazydave911 like this.
  7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's very good progress! On recessing the control plate, this is the kind of thing that I've found is actually best to do in interactions to "sneak up" on the correct depth. I don't find this kind of hardware to be remarkably consistent in thickness, depending on the source, and it's always best to be in the position to have to take off just a little more than to be too deep.

Not cutting beyond your machine's and tooling's depth capabilities is also a good idea. You've done the grunt work on the CNC and taking the body to the bandsaw to finish the cutout and then cleaning the edges with a bearing guided router tool is just fine.

I'm looking forward to more progress on your project.

Jacob Banderob and crazydave911 like this.
  8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

Too bad you didn't counter sink the entire pickguard - I'd like to see that. I definitely like the control plate!

crazydave911 and fidopunk like this.
  9. Jacob Banderob

I would like to make a few changes to the machine setup to get a bit more useful cutting depth on thicker pieces of material but we will see.

In the future I think I will do a bit more of doing a pass and checking depth, I got lucky this time around but I am sure the day will come. I was playing around with pausing the program as well just to see if it is possible and it turns out I can stop, jog (assuming I remember how much), return and then start again, so it should be relatively simple to do.

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Jacob Banderob

I thought about it... not really convinced I am going to do a pick guard just yet, but it would be cool to try!

I have an Alder body blank sitting on the shelf I may get started on when I get this one finished.

crazydave911 and jfgesquire like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.