New Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by preactor, Oct 20, 2019.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

More on how silly the 150 tree/log estimate is.. if they had said "we only use about 20,000 tons of spruce per year" the NYT reader would react very differently.

3'x3'x3' of Sitka Spruce apparently weighs 750lb.

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

That video makes me feel guilty to have a guitar.

I'm going to hope my Taylor came from a tree that fell down on it's own. I would find it seriously depressing to be there in the forest and see someone cut down a 400 year old tree that was 200+ feet tall, even if I knew it was a Spruce tree and was not endangered in any way.

I only have 2 guitars.. I see this kind of thing as yet another reason to own fewer guitars and just play the ones I have more.

I mentioned it to someone at Taylor when I visited last winter.. I would seriously love to buy an acoustic guitar in particular that came with a piece of "case candy" that showed all the provenance on all the wood.

E.x. to go with the Taylor example:
    Ebony Bridge - Came from our Crelicam mill, harvested in Cameroon Month/Year
    Ebony Fingerboard - Same kind of thing, maybe record that another tree was planted?
    Sitka Spruce Top - Came from Oregon/California/Whatever, harvest date, was it a fallen tree/harvested/plantation
    Back/Side woods, same kind of thing...

It's a luxury good, it'd be nice to know a non-essential item wasn't irresponsibly made.

That said.. if a tree is going to die is there anything more noble than for it to be turned into an instrument that is loved for years/decades/generations?

I was going to say it's easy to not feel guilty about a Tele but it sounds like some kinds of Ash used in guitars are more endangered than Sitka Spruce by far because of the Emerald Ash Borer. (Why do I keep having to hear about really damaging invasive species from Asia???)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.