New Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by preactor, Oct 20, 2019.

1. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Anyone with a rough idea about how many total guitars were manufactured in 2018? How many "old" ones were trashed? There should really be a glut on the market. Hmmmmmm

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I can’t find the statistic but the number of trees per year used in total guitar manufacturing is ridiculously small - 10 or something? Does anyone know for sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

preactor likes this.
  3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    preactor likes this.
  4. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

According to the internet (so you know it has to be true) 1.49 million acoustic guitars and 1.09 million electric guitars were sold in the US in 2018.

5. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

The used market is a buyers paradise at the moment. Especially the entry to intermediate level range common Asian made fare. Cant hardly give it away Vintage, Rare or high end is holding its value pretty well though.

Mike Eskimo, ROADMAN and preactor like this.
  6. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

When I think of all the REALLY unplayable instruments we had growing up, it's a wonderful world!

OldDude2, Doctorx33 and elihu like this.
  7. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Vintage guitars are selling at all-time highs. The current production of new guitars is, well, staggering. Where they're all going, I have no idea. I'm amazed at the sheer volume of 'burst replicas alone - and I mean the ones coming out of Gibson.

Maybe it's just a function of total world population.

preactor likes this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Was just looking at my Epiphone SG Special that I bought about a month ago and entered the serial number to find out when it was made. Turns out it’s the first 4 digits. 1904 translates to April, 2019. Then there’s a two digit code to indicate the factory it came from. Then a 5 digit number to indicate the number that guitar represents in the production run of, in this case, April of 2019. That number is 10682. Over 10,000 guitars coming out of one production run.

preactor likes this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Is there a guitar glut? When I was young, if you weren't a professional musician, you counted yourself lucky to have one, or maybe the cheap acoustic you learned on and one playable electric. More than one amp? Seriously? The reason there is no glut of giggable guitars is that most all of us have a few to a few too many. I have five electrics counting the one that came my way last week, and two acoustics and I'm probably in the low to middle ownership group here at TDPRI. I have an amp I use and an amp in the basement. Low end guitars aimed at those just starting out are different. You can get a good enough guitar for under $200 and a good enough amp for about the same. Those tend to stay in a closet until it's time to move or move out once GAS starts and the beginner moves up to a giggable guitar. If the beginner quits, they sit in a closet until they're either tossed out, given away, or sold in a yard sale. I don't think what's seen on CL represents more than a small fraction of what's not being used. I'd think pawnbrokers represent even less. The statistic to look at is unsold inventory, both at the manufacturer and retailer levels. That's the statistic that drives production and orders. The private sale used market may be a thorn in Fender's and Gibson's sides but it doesn't have a big effect on their business plans. It's a little more than a thorn in the side for mass marketers like GC but the store I'm most familiar with turns over used instruments in weeks to months. Major manufacturers and mass marketers must have someone trained as an actuary to analyse these statistics. The risks are just too large for guys in coffee stained shirts to sit in a conference room and play a hunch.

preactor likes this.
  10. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

But only 4 Lefties,,,o_O

KWal, DonM, preactor and 1 other person like this.
  11. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

Imagine how many would be manufactured if guitars and guitar based music were popular .
    Thankfully there’s a reported decline in interest of this outdated instrument :p

preactor likes this.
  12. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I have paid MORE for BAD guitars in the 70's than I have for GOOD guitars last year. (Epiphone Special $50) Back then, I made less $$$ in one month than I do today in one week...part time! DSCN3191.JPG

Shuster likes this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

This seemed so unbelievable to me.. but 250+ year old Sitka Spruce trees turn out to be HUGE, like Redwood huge. If an Acoustic guitar top averages 2.5mm thick a single tree might yield 10s of thousands of "slices" that could be up to 5 meters in diameter. So a single one of these "logs" could actually make many many thousands of guitar tops.

preactor, Shuster and dlew919 like this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Though this thread is not about that, and we live in a world where people just say stuff and lots of other people say , well if he said it I believe it, The first sentence is completely non-factual.

It is not true.

All-time high on almost everything in the vintage guitar market with the exception of prewar flat tops, was 10-12 years ago.

And, the personal guitars of rock icons sold at auction are not part of the vintage Guitar market. Or, if you wanted to include them,and, the personal guitars of rock icons sold at auction are not part of the vintage Guitar market. Or, if you wanted to include them they are such a tiny percentage of the vintage Guitar market that they don’t count anyway. they are such a tiny percentage of the vintgar Guitar market but they don’t count anyway.

Anyway, back to how many new guitars were produced in 2018…

15. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You want to provide some data to back up your opinion? I hope you can see that your "new rule" there is completely arbitrary. All guitars that are vintage are also part of the market. All that said, you might be correct that pre-great-recession might be the peak. Let's find some data instead of offering opinion - I'm in.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like I said, you can use rock stars guitars that have sold at auction recently as evidence that the vintage market is at an all time high, but that’s what ? A couple dozen guitars - per year ?

I know what I’ve seen as far as actual sold prices of Joe Blow’s old guitars pre/post crash.

You might have witnessed different transactions .

17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I needed the annual US guitar production numbers when I was taking some college class. I don't remember what it was but I found it by looking up the SIC code

preactor likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Unfortunately, cutting guitar top "slices" don't come out of a tree as easily as you might think.

19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah I figured... I was trying to bias my estimates down as much as possible. There must be a ton of waste, and some of the sections of wood must be inferior and get rejected, etc, etc, etc..

I still don't really buy the "150 logs for the whole industry" figure anyway. And it's clearly misleading cause the article doesn't mention that they are talking about truly gigantic trees.

It'd be like saying you only need one tree to frame a whole bunch of houses but then not telling them you're talking about cutting down a tree bigger than most people ever see in their life.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Here is a great video showing how a guitar top comes out of a log round:

preactor and Shuster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.