New Guitar Strings...Who Knew?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Larmo63, Dec 7, 2019.

1. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I bought an ES137 Custom a number of years ago and when I went to see it, the strings were so dead, they sounded like old flat wounds. Brought it home, cleaned it up and replaced the strings....night and day difference. Great guitar for blues. I normally replace my strings on my gigging guitar every 3-4 gigs but I’m constantly wiping down the neck and strings during the gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

When I was playing full time I would change strings twice a week. These days every two or three weeks depending on the amount of playing I am doing. Strings will wear out without playing them under tension especially acoustic strings .... so after 6 months you need to change them anyway.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

What decade is this?

4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

i love that tele! i never change my strings they never break which is a good sign, but when one breaks ill change them. having a bright iipstick tube in the bridge on my tele dead strings are not a bad thing

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Don't know why I thought of this, but do you guys recycle strings or just toss them in the dust bin?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

I get about 10 years out of flatwounds on my fake Beatle bass.

7. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I go between 1-3 months depending.

On acoustic more often because the sound of new strings on an acoustic is so rewarding.

Gary

Dismalhead and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Whether laziness or frugality...or some combination thereof...I'm the same. I don't change them until they start to sound like crap. Heavier strings I use for jazz (esp. flatwounds) last even longer.

9. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I have several guitars, try to rotate through them regularly, mostly a plat-at-home player anymore....I'll change strings if I break one, or maybe after a year if no breakage...I'm one of those guys that does not prefer the sound of new strings. I have no roblem replacing them when I feel it's needed, have several packs on hand, but don't change 'em "just because"

Piggy Stu and El Tele Lobo like this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just started saving mine to recycle. D'Addario has some kind of program that got me onto it.

Telecaster88 and FenderLover like this.
  11. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It depends on how often I play. I have a great number, but I gravitate towards the same 2 or 3. When the tone sounds flat is when they get changed.
    When I was gigging every week. I would change them about every 3 weeks. Which would be 3 shows and 6 rehearsals and whatever I did at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Tele- 6 months or so
    Martins - once a week or more if gigs are involved. If playing out then change before every gig. Even if it’s consecutive days.

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Since I used Elixrs vary rarely. They just keep going and still feel good as well as sound good.

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I really don't play electrics at home anymore ( in an apt.now) but play acoustic at home daily.
    My pattern is changing strings ( on any guitar) about every 3 gigs, or 2-3 weeks of home play. Works for me, never break strings. Strings on any guitar are relatively fresh and bright

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Very corrosive finger gunk here. Even with after play wipe downs my strings have never lasted long. Never gotten to the point of "dead and lifeless".

A set of strings will maybe get 20 - 25 hours play before being replaced. That could take anywhere from a few days up to a couple of months. I used to carry spares and replace individual strings; now unless they're literally brand new strings if I break one I'll restring the whole thing.

Had a bandmate who NEVER replaced his strings. He was the complete opposite of a gear junky - one guitar, one amp, just play the guitar. One time I told him his guitar sounded dead. I picked it up and played it and I've never felt such mushy strings. Ended up they were the same strings that came with the guitar when he bought it new - 2 years earlier. I ended up maintaining it for him and doing regular changes because to him replacing strings was like putting a new engine in a car. He'd only restrung a guitar a couple of times in his life.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  16. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

I just had the same epiphany on two of my most played acoustics. Changed strings after about 1 year of use. Wow what a pleasant difference.

17. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

I once bought a used Hofner acoustic because it sounded so friggin great. The strings were disgusting, couldn't wait to get it home and change them. Once I did it sounded like ****, finally sold it.

18. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Until they go flat, and won't stay in tune.

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

DOH!..........I have so many guitars that I have built/modded that it is sometimes hard to keep up with string changes (and costly) so I change them when they sound dull or won't stay in tune.

20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I just restrung my Tele and SG as I'm playing them at a small gig tomorrow, took me less than half an hour including giving the frets a polish: I always stretch them well, play for a little while and check tuning. No bother with being in tune for the gig, though I've seen the looks on other player's faces when I say I restrung the day before (or even on the day itself sometimes).

I tend to change mine about once per month if it's a guitar that is getting played often. My Gretsch less often because it's a PITA to change them with the Bigsby, but I'm looking for locking tuners as I think this will help. My SG and both LPs have them and it's so much quicker to change the strings than it used to be. Funny I don't have a problem with my Fenders because they all have the vintage slot type posts and I've got it down well after all these years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.