New guitar strap build along...

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by NightOwl, Oct 1, 2020.

1. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Hey guys! I did a strap build along a few years ago. I've come a long way since then. So, let's get building! At this point, I've already cut the main body of the strap to shape, laid out stitch lines and cut in my tooling/stamping borders and began the beveling process. I think i'm gonna make this one a fishscale pattern. Stay tuned for more...

Attached Files:

2. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Ok, Ive beveled, and scribed a VERY LIGHT center line. Now we can start the fun stuff!

Attached Files:

3. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

I love your work and will be watching! funny story, I have a "dragon scale" tappedy tool heading my way right now, so I'll be watching rather carefully!

NightOwl likes this.
  4. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Thanks buddy! Whenever you want me to live chat and show you the way I do Sheridan flowers, ley me know. I'm just using a V406 veiner tool for this. Strap is 2 1/2" wide. It's made from Wickett and Craig Filson leather. The Leather Filson uses for their $800 bags is made by Wickett and Craig. It's excellent leather. Once it's oiled and sealed, it'll have a rich color. It looks a tad purple before oil and sealer.

5. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Ok guys, got a bunch of hitting to do. I just wanna say that you don't need to get dead nutz tight up against the border. We're gonna border stamp that later...

Attached Files:

tubegeek likes this.
  6. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

This does not appear to be your first rodeo.

Impressive!

NightOwl likes this.
  7. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

T
    hanks! I've been doing this a while. I'm coming up on a decade of practice...

tubegeek likes this.
  8. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

We're at the point that the majority of decoration is done. It's now time for a border stamp. The reason I bevel my borders first is to give a well defined stopping point and to give the border stamp a ledge to rest against. This keeps your border stamp in line. When border stamping, always start your run at a corner of the border.

Attached Files:

9. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Border stamp is done at this point. Gonna let it dry for a while and oil it sparingly with neatsfoot oil. If there's any budding leather guys out there, never use neatsfoot oil compound. You only want pure neatsfoot oil. Only use it once. Too much oil will ruin leather forever because you cannot get the excess out. The key word is sparingly...

Attached Files:

scook and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  10. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

nice looking work - my DIY straps have not included any "tooling"

Peace - Deeve

NightOwl likes this.
  11. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Thanks! Tooling and stamping are the fun part. If you're doing it properly, a majority of time on almost every project will be spent on finish and edges. You should give some simple stamping a try.

12. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Alright guys, let's put a liner in this thing! You wanna find your preferred lining leather and put contact cement on the back of BOTH pieces to be joined together. Let it sit a while (10 minutes) and stick 'em together. Use your handy dandy slicking tool and rub the liner smooth on the back and really help that glue set. I like to leave my liner a bit proud before I run it through my stitching machine. A little excess liner helps keep the work from rocking as the machine foot moves and also keeps the stitches in a straighter line

. 20201001_173415[1].jpg 20201001_174007[1].jpg 20201001_174222[1].jpg

13. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

:eek: you forgot the padding! :p

14. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Nah, I don't particularly like padded straps. This one is for me, so that's why I left it out. Ok, if you wanna pad it, cut some 1/4" yoga mat, slather it in contact cement and slap it in between the strap body and liner. Make sure its smaller than the main body. If you want it like a Levy's, make it a little bigger and wrap the liner over it...Glue and stitch after that.

15. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Liner stitched in and trimmed. Now the real work begins! Next step is to sand the edges even and smooth, apply glycerin soap, slick the edges and dye the edges.

Attached Files:

tvvoodoo likes this.
  16. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Wow! That is crazy beautiful man!!! Great job!!!! I've always appreciated people who can do fine leatherwork. Very nice indeed.

NightOwl likes this.
  17. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. It's all just practice and process. I do these build along threads occasionally just in case someone is trying to make a strap and is having trouble. Hopefully I can help them out.

Telekarster likes this.
  18. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Hey all! I just skipped the step by step on the tail of the strap. It's exactly the same steps. Cut to shape, tool/stamp, glue in the liner, oil, stitch and finish. Here's the tail. I really like the crazy legs stamp on a strap tail. It always looks good. This is a 100% coverage strap.

Attached Files:

tvvoodoo likes this.
  19. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

That looks great NightOwl! Thanks for sharing the build.

NightOwl likes this.
  20. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

I love that you detail for me how to make a padded strap LOL! Really nice impressions. would you mind sharing your casing routine with me?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.