New Guitar Day - Music Man St Vincent

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I was hooked on the design when I first saw it - but frankly, 2.600,- Euro are too much.
I bought the budget Sterling by Music Man in Stealth Black and it is a really nice guitar. But there were three flaws that irked me more and more (the 5-way-switch is kind of flimsy; the middle pickup-screws are floppy and loosen after some time; the high e string spacing is reeaaally close to the edge of the neck).
Luckily I was able to get my hands on a Msuic Man St Vincent secondhand. With 1.750,- Euro it's still the most expensive guitar I ever bought, but, man, this neck is fabulous! The best I ever played. The mini humbuckers sound terrific and cover a ridiculously wide range of sounds. I'm still in love with the design, definitely my new main guitar! I'm still not too fond of the MM headstock design - the only positive thing is the small size, but then again: the roasted neck catches my eye and I don't waste a thought about the headstock!

20220113_214147.jpg

20220113_214129.jpg

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
I had the Sterling version and it was full of great sounds, so I imagine this one is even better. Any more thoughts after playing it for a bit?

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I had the Sterling version and it was full of great sounds, so I imagine this one is even better. Any more thoughts after playing it for a bit?
Exactly as you presumed: the MM is better. Now, I usually don't fall for the flashy buzzwords and I thought that the whole "roasted neck" thing was just the next hype. But, no, the neck is simply fabulous.
The Sterling neck is comfortable, but this one is just fabulous. It feels incredibly smooth, warm and dry. It's a bit like the difference between a high-quality, but mass produced cutting knife and a hand-made hand-forged and polished blade.
It weighs even less than the Sterling (and that is a rather light guitar) and although it has the locking tuners, there is nearly no neck-dive. The 5-way-selector is precise, the stringspacing exact, the pickup-mounting well-done. I find myself smiling like an idiot when I play that guitar.
By the way: I played a hollowbody exclusively for the past 8 years and even 'though I was impressed by the Sterling, my Ibanez Artcore was still my favorite neck.
Until I laid hands on that Music Man....
It sounds great - I thought that nothing beats the cleansound of a hollowbody or a semi-acoustic with P90s, but those mini-humbuckers are well-balanced and the combination of neck and bridge pickup is just fabulous.
I'm not a huge fan of the Strat bridge+middle and middle+neck position (I kind of lost my interest in singlecoils during the Nineties), but the position 4 with all three pickups has a very nice chime. The bridge pickup has a great smack with overdrive and the neck pickup sounds great with my Carcosa Fuzz.
The middle pickup is kind of.....I don't know how to use it yet, but it might be the right choice for bottleneck slide à la Bonnie Raitt.

KC

Friend of Leo's
Nice! I got a Cutlass a couple of years ago & it's been my #1 since. Unbelievable quality & great players. The headstock is whatever but it does give a nice straight pull -- and this guitar stays in tune better than any of them. Except, ahem, the Music Man StingRay guitar that I got to keep it company. These things have a way of multiplying . . .

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve been going back and forth between a St Vincent or a Albert Lee for years. Always end up buying something else. I would really like to have a Music Man. Congrats

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve been going back and forth between a St Vincent or a Albert Lee for years. Always end up buying something else. I would really like to have a Music Man. Congrats
To be honest: I didn't want to buy it brand new, as I think 2600 Euro are too much for a solidbody with bolt-on neck. I got ot secondhand for 1750 (plus a 3 hours drive to get and 3 hours to get back home) and I have to say, it's absolutely worth it.
I think they should have made the headstock just awee-bit more edgy for adjusting it to the overall design, but, well....I'm glad to have it.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
Awesome! I've always wanted to try one of them. I'm a big fan of Explorers, and it gives off a similar vibe.
That's what I liked - too often a "signature" guitar is something like a stock brand with a different pickup-set or jumno frets instead regular medium sized frets. This one really tries soemthing unique, but ergonomic.
It has some "The Jetsons" sci-fi vibe to me. Less edgy than the Explorer and a bit easier to handle than a Firebird.