New guitar day... but

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DavidM1, Oct 14, 2019.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I'd send it back. I've sent 3 of that model back now for worse cracks than that, and won't order another.

2. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Nope, looks like there was alot of force applied to the neck at some point. I'd return it.

3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Uff da, hope she arrived unscathed!

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

There isn't an edge on that amp that doesn't have a dent... :(

5. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

Send it back definitely

6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I've had $100 SX's from Rondomusic arrive in better condition than that. Send it back.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I'd have to give them that one back

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

ain't nobody got time for this $&*t! send 'er back.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

One of my sweetest guitars ever was picked up dimes to the dollar thanks to a crack on one side- thing plays like a BOSS 12 years later. You never know with the one shown- could be just superficial, or it could have been dropped/smacked about. If you like it, get a discount. If your spidey senses tingle at all, bail.

3bolt79 and boris bubbanov like this.
  10. Mr dunlop

Mr dunlop TDPRI Member

Well good news the seller is going to allow you to exchange the guitar. Hopefully you find a nice tele in the end.
    I do not mind pocket cracks but not on a new guitar.

3bolt79 and boris bubbanov like this.
  11. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very interesting perspective.

Yeah, it is true that when these heavy Poly finishes on MIMs start to flake off in sheets, it got started at the neck pocket more than 50% of the time I would say.

This is one of these oddball situations where if they could let you see great images of the guitar first, you'd actually look for ones with a "safe gap" in the neck pocket. Not one that's almost an interference fit. Interference fit works if I can buy the guitar in person and assign it a lifetime Secret Service Detail. But if a guitar is traveling overseas in a box and is going to get kicked and punched and crushed on its way to you, you need that space so the neck impacts can be attenuated.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  13. boris bubbanov

Polyester is actually pretty common, in some forms of finishing.

I understand it is normally much, much cheaper, plus it is much more eco-friendly to the men and women applying this product. Man, the finishes that they use in places like Vietnam, Indonesia are very toxic and they're clearly shortening the life spans of the workers there. If the workers in Ensenada are ruining their lungs, it would be IMO because of the sheer volume of coatings they apply there. MIM Fender numbers absolutely eclipse the numbers out of Corona based on anecdote (there are no published numbers, don't ask).

14. boris bubbanov

Could be a huge hit, but it doesn't have to be.

In the early 1970s, I threw packages for UPS. The Teamsters got us some serious wages for part time work, and UPS didn't even serve all 48 states then; and the weight limit was 40 pounds I think, then 50. It is way higher (too high) in 2019.

I say we threw packages but actually we tried our best to be nice to anything like a bass or guitar. The problem I saw, inside the trailer as you loaded or unloaded it, was speed was of the utmost importance and sometimes a lot of stuff gets stacked on top of other, fragile things. Too much stuff, and load gets jostled and the kinds of forces on the box and its contents can easily exceed the force from a fall from as high as 20 feet. We threw certain kinds of small parcels (to get them to a chute we had no conveyor for) with confidence, because we saw crush damage as the far greater cause of damage claims.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  15. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

7A0FB078-0F4B-42B5-A116-FC73361425CF.jpeg A72CADD8-DF6A-4B46-B2BA-2DBCA355B92F.jpeg Final update. The retailer was just great. I tried four player series teles plus a couple of other models. In the end I made a direct swap with a black one. I think choosing the seller can be as important as choosing the instrument. Here are a couple of real NGD pics... Nice guitar!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.