New guitar day... but

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DavidM1, Oct 14, 2019.

1. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

I would report that *******. It happens enough and he will be out of a job.

Jesse414 likes this.
  2. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

I have four MIMs, no cracks 1993, 2005, 2008, 2011. There are two MIM Strats for sale on CL here each for 300.00 with neck pocket cracks. Used I am wary. New I send back.

3. Jesse414

Jesse414 TDPRI Member

I positively would send it back that is not a crack I could live with.

4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

5. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

Those are big cracks, especially for a new guitar.

I have a 1993 MIJ strat which has the same small cracks in the pocket area, and I often see new guitars in stores with the same issue - however the ones in the pic are some of the worst I've seen.

If you can, I'd return the guitar.

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I know that issue can develop over time, but on a new guitar? That would be an instant return for me, but YMMV.

Mr dunlop, DanDII and beagle like this.
  7. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Send it back, that's not right.

8. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Yeah agree with the above , return it now and don't give it another thought , I know it means you will have to wait for the next one but don't accept that.
    The more times people accept it whether it left the shop like that or in transit the more times these companies think its acceptable.
    If you moan at the supplier they can sort it in house or reprimand there carrier if they keep getting returns.

9. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

It's been thrown around by the courier. Bumped in the neck end, both sides. I woul not accept it.

10. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Many of my guitars have that...it's common with Fenders as the wood expands and shrinks with temperature changes.The paint around the neck pocket area sometimes has those hairline cracks.It has no effect on the stability of the instrument however...I wouldn't be concerned.If you really feel a bond with the guitar I might keep it and use the cracks as leverage to get a discount.If you don't feel a strong bond with the guitar then you can send it back for an exchange or refund.

Tim S likes this.
  11. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

seems like the cracks could be paint or lacquer cracking, and may be acceptable on a phenomenal sounding guitar.
    But if the guitar took some physical damage during shipping the damage could run deeper than just the apparent surface cracks. it's hard to collect the evidence and understand why the cracks are present. the forensic analysis will come too late.

I certainly would return it, those are not pretty, I think cracked neck pockets lose some sustain.

12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It may be common, but it's not normal. Send it back.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Can’t help wondering why, after all these years, Fender haven’t sorted the problem. Who’d buy a new car knowing that there was a good chance it would turn up with the finish cracked on the bumper or whatever? What we’re saying is that they let sub-standard products out onto the market on the basis that ‘they’re all like that’.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

On a used guitar, no problem. New out of the box, nope.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

While disappointing.. they are inevitable on bolt on neck guitars, specially if they come with a nice tight fit...

reason . . the wood WILL expand and contract as temperature and humidity change.... when the body expands, the neck pocket gets smaller... when the neck expands, it gets wider... so you have two separate pieces of wood "colliding". the paint is "collateral damage" since its brittle and can't really move enough to accommodate the expansion. the results.. CRACK!!! :eek:

rk

16. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Ups man lifted my 4x12, walked it to the edge and the bottom dropped out of the box. My partner and his folks saw the whole thing. It fell out, he threw the box back over it, picked up my casters and other **** that was laying in the road, threw them in the open box and brought it to the door. My response upon hearing all this later was...”why the **** did you sign for it?!?!?”!

17. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

UPS rolled my Gibson Goldtone GRV60 up my stairs....

18. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

So, I contacted the retailer and sent them the pics. They were understanding and helpful. I’ll be driving in their part of the country in about a week and they suggested I bring it with me and swap with one of several they have in stock. I’m happy with that. I’ve played a few of this model and I think I’ll find one I like.

Thanks all for your insight and opinions. It made the process that much more straightforward.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  19. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I am not sure they can do anything about it.The paint used on his guitar is polyester which is intended to be more durable than nitro but even that might acquire those neck pocket cracks.Like I mentioned the problem is in the wood expanding and shrinking with temperature changes...not so much the paint itself.If they built guitars out of Fibreglass or another material then perhaps the issue would be resolved but most guitarists are gonna want a guitar made of wood.It's a no-win situation.

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Does no one else use polyester paint, on anything that can expand, contact or flex? If not, perhaps it”s because it cracks...............?

oceanblue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.