1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New guitar day! A Rickenbacker with a wide neck!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by gitold, Apr 27, 2020.

1. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

Yeah, and Paul Weller is said to have used Marshalls with his Rics during his time with The Jam....but I have often seen live footage of that band with Weller using Vox amps.

cyclopean and Jakedog like this.
  2. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

Consensus is no arbiter of what is right. (Actually consensus is worse than subjective taste. You would choose something because a large number of people use it over your own taste?)

Rickenbackers are for Fender amps, not Voxes. Vox amps are best used with a Fender Tele or Strat.

The VOX amps push mids, while the Fender amps seem to scoop out the mids and give a warmth on the bass side and are incredibly bright on the trebly side. That sound suits a Rickenbacker best.

I have three VOX amps and it is my Fender Telecaster and Strat that sound best in my Vox amps. And here is what is really odd: I have a Phantom - Vox specs - and that guitar sounds best in my Fender amp. Go figure, Fender amps for my Vox guitar and Vox amps for my Fender guitars.

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

And neither is opinion on a matter in which there are only other subjective opinions. This includes the opinion put forth in your comment. It's all a matter of personal taste, but again the consensus seems to be Vox amps with Rickenbackers. Not that it matters to me; I'll never be able to afford one....:(

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

Opinion is all that matters when it comes to subjective matters like music and the sound of a guitar matched with an amp.

Consensus tells us that Rickenbacker into Vox amp is the heavenly sound. But our ears tell us that Rickenbacker into Fender amp is the heavenly sound. I'll go with ears over consensus any day of the year.

5. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

My 650S has a neck like a baseball bat, wide and deep. I have tried 330/12, 360/12 and 620/12s but all the necks are just too narrow for me. The 620/12 sounded best, but I just could not fret it cleanly. I would love to try a 660/12 but they are few and far between here in the UK.

upload_2020-4-27_20-42-54.jpeg

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

That's a beauty! And it's got toasters, perfect! BTW what year is that...i looks to be late 50s early 60s by the pickguard and knobs.

Why on earth did they change the PU design? Why did they ever change? And I've owned two ricks, a 12 string and a 6. Both from the '60s and I don't remember either having a particularly narrow neck. I played a new 12 string and I simply could not play it with any accuracy with that narrow neck.

Congrats on a great score!

7. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

It’s brand new. I opened the case and the smell made me light headed. That’s what I said in my original post and I’m stickin to it.

richey88 likes this.
  8. gitold

See above,

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

But whose ears? Your ears or my ears? There are no absolutes in music. I also equate Rik's with the Beatles and Tom Petty etc and they recorded a lot of music through Vox amps.
    Regardless, play through what fits the song and what pleases your ears.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  10. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

Beautiful guitar -- congratulations!
    What is the neck depth like on these?

11. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

i love Rickenbackers. mine is easily my favorite axe.

EDIT: nevermind i can see what brand of pedal it is now!

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve wanted a 620 my entire life. And I’ve never even played one. They just look so freakin cool... yours looks even more amazing. But I don’t think I could own a Ric without an “R” tailpiece. Would one of those fit on that model?

13. gitold

Yea but those in the know want the trapeze! Old school like the toaster pickups.

Fretting out and Jakedog like this.
  14. gitold

I little bit chunkier then most Rickys more u than c but a little bit of both if that makes sense. I have pretty small hands and it’s very comfy.

15. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I understand that. I just really prefer the R. I always thought it looked way cooler.

16. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, congrats!

17. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’d love a 660. I had a 650, and loved the big fat neck, but I never bonded with it like I have with my 330, so I traded it for an 82 tele.

18. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

The R tailpieces have been known to explode all on their own. It is not an internet myth, it is a reality that many Rickenbacker owners have to deal with. Here's what happened to mine last year:

[​IMG]

Having said that, I do agree with you, the R tailpiece is far cooler than that trapeze tailpiece. Unless there is a trem unit on the guitar, I do think a Rickenbacker must come with the R tailpiece.

Jakedog likes this.
  19. gitold

Well you
    Personally I think the R tail piece looks gaudy and cheap like the one that BROKE there but some people like that sort of thing I suppose.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now THIS is a tailpiece!

[​IMG]

Slip Kid, gitold and JoesTele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.