New guitar…new sound?

cdillerud

TDPRI Member
Never have I ever owned an epiphone but I found this SG on reverb, I love the Jayhawks and had a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket.

It’s a different sound for me, especially through the Marshall and I’m struggling to decide if I dig it fully. Maybe the Epiphone pickups aren’t the bomb and they need replacing? Dunno. Maybe I just haven’t heard the SG sound in awhile in person.

More time needed, I guess.

Anyway, seemingly obligatory picture attached…

Attachments

• B5536BAC-1298-406E-BAF1-57190B5D6300.jpeg
    B5536BAC-1298-406E-BAF1-57190B5D6300.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 94

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
I personally don't care for any of the electronics inside Epiphone guitars and haven't been impressed nor had great luck with them. I had a Sheraton II with Probuckers and they were decent, a bit hot, but more concerning was a bunk selector switch so I'm at a gig and crud, no bridge pickup. Had a 335 pro and the pots just felt like utter junk to me. Some guys like coil splits and the Sheraton actually had good sounding coil splits but it is also one more thing to go wrong so I tend towards traditional and simplistic. But that's me, not you. Your needs are likely different.

I don't really own stuff I don't gig so reliability, ease of playability, comfort on the strap, and sound are critical. For some guys spending as much on pickups and pots as you paid for the guitar is worth it, for me, usually less so. I will recommend 57 classics, 490r and 490t, and a range of Seymour Duncan pickups as good quality replacements. Quality CTS 500k audio taper pots and a real Gibson switch while you go through it, if you have any soldering skills. That's a nice looking guitar so spend some time with it before making any rash or expensive decisions. Best!

cdillerud

TDPRI Member
I agree with you on all points. I am not scared of doing the electronics work. At all. But to your main point there has to be diminishing returns. Throwing more money at it doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Just get the right stuff in one from the start.

Secondly, I’m just not sure I’m an SG guy. It sits funny, the neck feels a bit wonky(the neck dive doesn’t help) and so far I haven’t found a sound I love through any of my amps or pedalboards. But I’m gonna keep trying for a bit. A short bit. It’s possible it’s there and my ears are just so attuned to my “regular” sounds that I’m not hearing it yet.

But…most likely will give this one to The Kid. He seems to dig it. And HE can upgrade it if the mood strikes him.

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Holy hell that’s a nice guitar. The first “good” American guitar I owned was a ‘69 SG with a Vibrola. I liked it so much I bought a second one. This was back in the mid-‘70s. I think I paid $375 for one of them and $395 for the other.

I don’t know if Epi puts decent pickups in that guitar or not, but I think it’s begging for a pair of Duncan Saturday Night Specials. Add a new set of pots & switch and it’s good to go.

cdillerud

TDPRI Member
Holy hell that’s a nice guitar. The first “good” American guitar I owned was a ‘69 SG with a Vibrola. I liked it so much I bought a second one. This was back in the mid-‘70s. I think I paid $375 for one of them and $395 for the other.

I don’t know if Epi puts decent pickups in that guitar or not, but I think it’s begging for a pair of Duncan Saturday Night Specials. Add a new set of pots & switch and it’s good to go.
You might be spot on. I’m not completely dismissing it.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
That is a beauty. My experience with trying various SGs (Gibson and Epiphone, various years) is that tonally they are all over the map, and of the several I’ve tried only two really grabbed me. One of the two was a 90s Gibson, and the other was an Epiphone G400 of unknown year, probably also 90s.

If it’s not your cup of tea it ought to be easy to flip, or as you say there’s “The Kid” option...

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Congratulations on your new SG. You sound like you can’t make up your mind about it. An SG isn’t as warm as an LP. It’s not as complex as an ES. It’s not twangy like a Tele. It’s its own beast. Give it a little time. Getting equalization right helps a lot. Increase bsss and mids to make the humbuckers sound like humbuckers. They’ll never sound like single coils. A delay pedal that sucks treble off the repeats may not be the best choice. An SG won’t be like anything else you own. Don’t try to make it sound like something else.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I have to say, if the price was right and it played well, I'd have bought that and I don't generally like Epi copies of Gibson guitars.

So, if the price was right and it plays well, I'd start shopping for PUs. I am obsessed with the EVH Wolfgang PUs right now. I have a Wolfgang that sounds fantastic, so I put a set in my Tele Deluxe and they are just amazing for blues/rock/fusion type stuff. They a bright and gritty and loud and just ooze character. That Deluxe is rapidly becoming my favorite solid body guitar that I own, and I have a bunch!

I suggest you go to GC and play a Wolfgang to see if you like them.

telecaster gray.jpg

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Looks great!
If it’s one of the newer “inspired by Gibson” models, they are getting good press.
If so, the pickups are (supposedly) quite good.
Congratulations!

Jbnaxx

Tele-Holic
I like it a lot!
I have an Epi G-400 that my wife surprised me with several years ago. It is a really good guitar. I put in the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker pickups and proper electronics. I find myself playing it a lot. It’s small size and light weight make it very handy. I never really cared for Les Pauls but I really enjoy the SG. If I ever run across a real Gibby SG, I might be tempted. I think there is some magic in the Gibson SG.

Yours looks like a nice one……. Give it some time.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
It's a beauty but I don't think I could live with the vibrola tailpiece. Check out the pics of Derek Trucks' SG. It might sound better with the added stop tailpiece.