1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Grote Thinline (ES 335-style)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Jan 20, 2020.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Finally I'm able to post about this. A few weeks ago, Fendergyrl posted about her Grote thinline semi-hollow guitar. I was so impressed, I immediately went online to find one. On Amazon, all they had left was a Vintage Sunburst. I quickly ordered it (at a unbelievable price of $159.00) I figured that at that price, if it turned out to be a dog, I could still return it to Amazon. As it turned out, it was incredible. I took it to my guitar tech, (some of you know Mark Cigainaro) and he, too, was impressed. So impressed in fact, that he wanted one, and went online for one, but they were all gone, with no idea when or even if they would be back in stock. He set it up.....it did need a full fret dress and level.....but that was all. Even the stock pickups sounded good. I took it home, and re-wired it to my preference.....a master volume/master tone, and moved the p/up selector from next to the bridge to closer to the guitar's edge. I kept checking online for Mark, as he had asked me, if I found one, to get it for him. Sure enough, a red one popped up, as a "Last One Available". I snapped it up, half expecting Amazon to cancel it. It came in, and was BEAUTIFUL! I took it to Mark, and told him I preferred the red one, and if he could set it up as well as the sunburst, he could have the sunburst. (HIS preference) He did so, and it plays GREAT! I was happy with it, so I sold it to Mark for what I paid. ($173 including tax)
    I took home "Red", and re-wired it like the sunburst. In the pics, you can see where I moved the toggle switch. The knob closest to bridge is master volume, next to it is master tone. The other two knobs are simply "fillers".....they don't do anything, although the pots are still there if it was ever decided to revert back. Here are some pics. Ever since I was twelve or thirteen (early '60's) I've wanted a red ES 335, and this is the only way I can justify having one. (I'm just CHEAP!) It sounds good, it feels solid, and it has an amazing neck.....about 1 11/16" wide at nut, about .80" deep.....I'd rather have fatter, but it's not too bad. THANKS Fendergyrl.....I owe you one! ;) red grote 168.JPG red grote 169.JPG red grote 171.JPG red grote 170.JPG

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great story, very cool!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Looks great, @nojazzhere! Glad it plays well and sounds good.

I had a little 335 copy escapade this weekend. Over 15 years ago, I found a S101 black 335 copy that was slightly damaged on eBay for $100 USD. It needed some TLC and a new set of pickups; after that, it sounded and played very nicely. I got a deal on a cherry Epiphone Dot a few years ago, and the S101 became mainly a case queen. A friend spoke to me about a Gibson with a factory Bigsby... and I got to thinking... what’s the deal with this Vibramate adapter? No damage to the instrument? No drilling? No nuttin’? Well...
    240C1B80-2A06-40D4-A56B-3E549DE3868F.jpeg

The Vibramate? Perfect. Installed in ten minutes. The Bigsby B7? Installed in 15 minutes. Restringing?

It took HOURS. It actually requires two people - one to hold the ball end on the Bigsby’s tiny little pins, and the other to tension the string. Or a small clamp. But the Bigsby’s instructions were incorrect. Scott Sill’s YouTube video showed me the correct procedure, but the strings’ ball ends kept falling off the stupid little pins on the Bigsby. Even after pre-bending the ball end as Scott suggested.

So embarrassing. :(:(:( But it sounds good, looks good, and tuning is stable.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What do you get if you have 2 Grotes?

A Grotum.

Ronzo, nojazzhere and drmordo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.