New Grading Category: Near Mint With Dings and Gouges

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Sep 3, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Muricans are pretty stressed these days...

2. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mint relic is what I find underneath the car seat when I'm cleaning up.

guitartwonk likes this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Back in the day, when guitars awere sold through classified newspaper ads, no pics included, I went to see a guitar that was described as "immaculate". I knew it was a Tele with a Strat neck and a P-90, so hardly factory fresh. What I didn't know was the board had been painted in black and the body home varnished. "Well, I think it's immaculate"' the seller restated. I felt obliged to point out that "immaculate" meant perfectly clean and tidy, not "I really like it."

When I sell a guitar, I go out of my way to photograph and describe any flaws, because I don't want disappointed customers. I get very annoyed when a seller who knows better accurately describes a guitar as "8/10" but chooses camera angles that leave the dings out. That is still dishonest, to me.

As for an aggressive seller, well, I suspoect he knew the guitar wasn't up to his description and was afraid you give him a bad time if you'd driven an hour to find that out.

gwjensen likes this.
  4. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

If my thinking is correct, "mint condition", as a term, comes from coin collecting, as in the coin is in the same condition as when it left the mint.

If the guitar is not in the same condition as when it left the factory, then it's not mint. Simple. There is no "mint for its age". "Mint" is absolute, not relative.

I certainly wouldn't buy from someone who either doesn't know the meaning of the terms he's using or is just downright dishonest.

There, rant over, sorry I got all serious there... let's all get back to ripping the 9155 out of the moron...

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Texicaster and simoncroft like this.
  5. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Interestingly just yesterday, a mate of mine won this on fleabay, and after questions about the "superficial damage" to the neck, which I thought looked like a previously snapped and repaired neck, he went to view it and it turns out I was right. The neck had indeed been snapped and repaired.

I think a snapped neck is a little more than superficial...

These dishonest sellers are everywhere!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.