New Grading Category: Near Mint With Dings and Gouges

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

¡Bueno!

Almost bought a Strat off CL. Looked OK in CL photos and was what I was interested in. CL ad says "near mint" but I see what could be glare, lint or dings and chips in small photos. So I ask....figuring if he says mint and we are to meet I'll surely see dings so must be glare or lint but I want to know before I drive all the way to see it...

I get a response of "you have the photos" Followed by:

"I'm not going to split hairs and don't do business like this. If you want to see it come to town or don't waste my time."

Immediately followed by

"Quite honestly I have made up my mind that I do not want this guitar to go into the hands of somebody like you I am blocking you please don't contact me again."

All because I asked if dings or glare?

New grading category!

2. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Bad mojo guitar. You don't want it. Too many other ones that aren't tainted that should be available. No need for full sentences.

JayFreddy likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

there's crazy people out there

JayFreddy likes this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Funny thing is I think the guys profile said he's a gigging musician so it's actually honestly "relic'd"! I think real wear on a guitar is COOL!

If I liked tone and feel I'd probably have only tried to get him down $100-$200 since he claimed "near mint". If I loved the tone I'd have paid full price!

But yep.... lots of Strats for sale! Kinda funny though!

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I suppose with the relic craze near mint does indeed include lots of dings.

I've noticed numerous used items listed as excellent or mint that are all dinged up, and regardless of the condition bothering me or making me not want the thing, I just don't trust dishonest sellers.
    Don't even want to go to their house if they lie from the start.

I note that grading allows excellent condition to include small dings or chips, but mint or near mint are supposed to mean looks close to new AFAIK.

Texicaster likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I had an experience like that recently with a potential buyer. It's tricky to read emotions, whatever, into quickly written texts to strangers, and some people read negativity or hostility into everything.

Well, I'd imagine there is more than one strat for sale in Arizona!

7. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

I'm just glad i'm not in the market for a mint relic....

Guitarteach likes this.
  8. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

If we're talking grading categories for sellers, this guy's is "DOD" - Dishonest & Overly Defensive.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

simoncroft likes this.
  9. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Wow. Get angry with potential buyers - what a great business model o_O

simoncroft likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I got angry with a potential buyer the other day. He messaged about 7 times with stories of overseas travel, a interstate relocation and then got upset that I didn't accept his low offer and condition that he demo my new guitar before placing a bid or buying it. It's listed for auction on ebay.:confused:

I blocked him so he will get a shock if he does eventually decide to place a bid.
    I'm tempted to drop the price $100 bucks lower than his lowball offer but leave him blocked from bidding.:twisted::)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    bumnote and guitartwonk like this.
  11. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I'm wondering if the guy wasn't scamming or something. Seems pretty nuts to go off over a simple, reasonable, question that anyone could/would ask. Of course, there's always the possibility of crazy drugged up nutball too... either way, I'd stay away ;)

guitartwonk likes this.
  12. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Going strictly on the thread title, this is something I've been noticing alot with online sales lately. "Near Mint" allows for nicks and dings to a bunch of these sellers.
    I don't appreciate it, myself. But as long as they're listing the damage I guess there's no real harm.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

"Near mint" seems much like "near pregnant". It's either "mint" or it "ain't".

14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I guess the term “near” covers a lot of ground to some people...

I think you should tell him you insist that he sell it to you... send him a pic of your near-mint money, with rips and large pieces missing from the bills.

15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I once saw an eBay ad for a mint condition 1950s Martin D-28. The fretboard had grooves; the back of the neck was worn down to the bare wood; the sides, top, and back of the body had cracks; and the top was scratched through the finish.

I asked the seller why he was saying it was in mint condition.

His reply was, and I quote, “It’s mint for its age.”

16. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

Near mint, is not-to my way of thinking-even a thing. Mint is mint, next stop is “excellent condition.”

simoncroft, Bassman8 and theprofessor like this.
  17. Dog Bite

Dog Bite TDPRI Member

Near mint,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,about a mile an a half from the mint. Sorta like a pregnant near virgin.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

A mint relic would be an oxymoron.

simoncroft and brookdalebill like this.
  19. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Keep in mind this isn't even a Relic!

I think I p***ed him off by being informed too.I discovered his is a less desirable version of that year and model. Not a big deal but I figured ask as many questions as you can before you meet so no one wastes time. Especially since it was an hour drive for me which I told him.

I got the distinct impression he'd be VERY upset if you didn't just show up and give him cash BEFORE you saw the guitar! I've dealt with guys like that before...almost try to bully you into buying... Guy didn't realize I was still right there with price and condition! I'm glad he showed his true colors before I met him!

Now wonder it's been THE "best" Strat on CL for ~4 months at an OK price. He's asking top dollar but low value is only $200 less....

simoncroft likes this.
  20. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I'd call this one VG at best.

Reverb guidelines specifically mentions buckle rash in VG category. It's important to note "vintage" gets a pass. So a VG new may be mint vintage...So vintage loop hole. I can't find a vintage definition on Reverb. For Fender I'd say pre-CBS while others would include 70's. I guess it depends if you're buying or selling! :D

https://help.reverb.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013525833-Gear-Conditions-and-What-They-Mean

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.