New Gibson (Maestro) Line of Pedals

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Graphics look like what a gelato truck wreck would look like.
Another thread, but I'll take Frozen Custard or Ben & Jerry's over gelato anyday!

As for the Maestro pedals,
they probably sound very good.

But once you (I mean 'I') find cheap and small pedals that sound good, make you happy. You just stay in that universe.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Just ordered the delay and fuzz... we'll see....

I'm a sucker for analog delay with modulation... I love my Deluxe Memory Boy, but it can be finicky at times. Carbon Copy is too dark (and CC bright is too bright).

I've been trying to find a keeper fuzz for years... the Modern mode on the Maestro sounds interesting to me, darker/fatter/smoother....

Friend of Leo's
As always with pedals it's how they actually sound to the user ... plus; Fender have a pedal range, Orange have a pedal range, Blackstar etc .... so, why not Gibson ... a few more pedals in the myriad of options won't make any difference at all as to how confusing it is to find a pedal that's 'perfect'!

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
As always with pedals it's how they actually sound to the user ... plus; Fender have a pedal range, Orange have a pedal range, Blackstar etc .... so, why not Gibson ... a few more pedals in the myriad of options won't make any difference at all as to how confusing it is to find a pedal that's 'perfect'!
Exactly... until YOU try them with YOUR rig, you don't really know if you like it or not. Yes, video demos can be helpful on the extreme ranges (if all the demos sound awful to you, chances are you won't like it at home either), but you have to have the thing in your hands, with your amps, to really know.

I buy alot of stuff just for that reason... some of it I return immediately because it takes about 2 minutes for me to know I can't work with it. Sometimes I'll keep them for several months, then move on. It's a hobby...

Grandy

Tele-Holic
I watched the Andertons video and while it was fun watching and listening to Pete messing with the pedals I was a bit underwhelmed by the sounds. There's nothing there we haven't heard a zillion times and it they aren't budget range stuff. For 150£ I want to be impressed.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
That's funny, I feel like in today's pedal universal, around $150 IS "budget"... $200 is where I start wondering if I really need it... then there's the $300 Strymon range, and it just goes up from there...

Heck, tons of BOSS pedals are in that "budget" range

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Graphics look like what a gelato truck wreck would look like.
Reminded me of Howard Johnson from when I was a kid...which is probably the retro feel they intended. 5FBC5030-B55E-4254-A4A5-0A4EF4FD241F.jpeg

Who knows if they'll sell. You can get a Maestro clone for a lot less...they do one thing well and other than that there's a lot more versatile fuzz pedals out there. I couldn't get mine to clean up if my life depended on it...but that's not what that circuit is designed to do anyway. So I never really got a lot of Satisfaction from it. :twisted:

beninma

Friend of Leo's
Boss pedals in the $150+ range are more full featured than these though usually. Boss still has lots of stuff at $99 or less that are classics that work well and are built like tanks.

Every one of these pedals in the Maestro line is pretty basic and there are options from other more established brands that undercut the price.

I do sympathize with the idea these aren't that exciting or unique enough to turn heads versus established brands.

These have semi fancy design but you can argue they're more like the JHS 3-series pedals.. they all have the same enclosure and control layout to save cost and so on and so forth and all have your basic 3-knob design + single switch that does something extra. And those JHS ones are $99 and made in the USA.

There's no digital work in any of these either, a big cost savings.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Exciting? LOL

I just want a fuzz that works for me. And if a $149 Maestro does (only because it has the NEW "Modern voicing" switch), then it's worth $149. If JHS makes a fuzz that's $99, great... but that doesn't make it better than the Maestro, just cheaper. It could suck, then it's not even worth the $99.

I give things an actual chance, with my actual ears, in actual (I own it) circumstances. Sometimes, you find a gem in a junk pile....

ADDED: I will admit, I too, agree that Gibson in general has become overpriced with poor QC. Gibson ain't what it used to be. But then, you've got people complaining about Fender's price increases too, every single time they do it, LOL.

Maybe some people just like to complain, or cut stuff down without actually having any firsthand experience with it. That's cool... for them. I guess. ;)

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
We are in a golden age of pedals. Lots of great pedals, great brands and great sounds. Maybe, just maybe we need to disconnect all of them…

Space Pickle

Tele-Meister
New pedal line from Gibson, including some variation of the Maestro Fuzz:

Is it just me and my consumer pedal fatigue, but who cares? Do 5 more pedals really add anything to the pedal-verse?
yes i must have them

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I read this as an indication that Fender's recent pedal line has been a profitable success and Gibson wants some of the action.
After trying delay pedals in GC and Sam Ash and not liking any of them I rolled the dice and ordered a Fender Mirror Image Delay from Music Zoo. I had it dialed in less than half an hour from when I opened the box and couldn’t be happier. Can Gibson do as well? I’m not sure but they don’t have Fender’s experience with amps with built in effects. Time will tell.

cdwillis

Tele-Meister
They sent Mojo Hand FX a cease and desist letter over their Mister-O phaser, then they don't even put out the Maestro phaser with these reissues??

Every time they're presented with a good move or a bad move, the people running Gibson take the bad move almost every time. I can't believe anyone even wants to deal with them anymore.

These Maestro pedals are such a pathetic and lazy attempt on Gibson's part, just my $0.02.