New Gibson (Maestro) Line of Pedals

JoeNeri

Friend of Leo's
New pedal line from Gibson, including some variation of the Maestro Fuzz:

Is it just me and my consumer pedal fatigue, but who cares? Do 5 more pedals really add anything to the pedal-verse?

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
New pedal line from Gibson, including some variation of the Maestro Fuzz:

Is it just me and my consumer pedal fatigue, but who cares? Do 5 more pedals really add anything to the pedal-verse?

My review ( I just looked at the photo from the link),

Is they are too big, too ugly, and I guarantee they don't sound any better than anything I ( I really mean, 'We') don't already have!
( and I bet cheaper)

Edit- I should say that I really am spoiled by affordable MXR, to Boss-sized pedals ( and pedals that still can use batteries)

Last edited:

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m not interested at all but it’s a smart move by Gibson. Build them in China and sell them at a premium price because of the Gibson association. I imagine if your a store selling Gibson they will make you buy some pedals so they will be all over the market place.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Chicago Stompworks Black Fudge reputed to be an MFZ-1 clone. Great sounding, versatile pedal. They're on sale for $60 right now. No affiliation.

chistomp black fudge.PNG

beninma

Friend of Leo's
It's a weird thing.. they can be great pedals (I haven't tried them) and yet be "who cares" and seem like a "me too" effort at the same time.

I'm not even sure if Fender has stuck with it long enough to guarantee success. And Fender's pedals are good, at least the ones I've tried. They're excellent. But there's something that's just not as cool about them even though Fender guitars and amps are cool? And Gibson could be the same way.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
Do these pedals actually exist? I haven't noticed them being mentioned on every YouTube guitar channel with over 10k subscribers.

Perhaps Gibson just didn't care to pay for them to be on the Youtube channels? Most of those big Youtube channels are basically just marketing consultants who will demo the pedal for $X.

Fender and Gibson have plenty of money to just do their own videos with their own employees. And honestly manufacturers that just have employees to do the demos is much more honest/straightforward/believable. The guys who work for Fender/Gibson are not trying to pretend they are indendepent.

It seems like a lot of pedal companies still haven't even figured out which way works best for them... quite a few of them do a mix of making their own videos + sending them to Youtube influencers.

I don't know.. I somehow like it better when Reverb is doing the demo or Wildwood or Sweetwater or something too. It's just 100% clear up front what the video is.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Perhaps Gibson just didn't care to pay for them to be on the Youtube channels? Most of those big Youtube channels are basically just marketing consultants who will demo the pedal for $X.

Or, the people in charge of Gibson's marketing department are a bunch of TDPRI Johns.

jddub440

Tele-Holic
I'm interested to hear what the chorus/vibrato can do in orbit mode.
I would also be interested in trying the fuzz sometime but I doubt I'd prefer it over my current fuzz section.
I bet they got a phaser in the works for a special release🤞

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

too ugly,

Well, each to their own I guess, cos I really dig the look. :)

And Fender's pedals are good, at least the ones I've tried. They're excellent. But there's something that's just not as cool about them even though Fender guitars and amps are cool? And Gibson could be the same way.

I think they are excellent. Despite myself and my fear of dork-ness at having too many on my board, I have three Fender pedals. The Marine Layer Reverb, the Mirror Image Delay and the Pinwheel rotary speaker faker. I find them good sound wise (cos, like, let's get real, almost every pedal ever sounds just fine if you work at it enough), and importantly, they have a really practical and useful range of 'real world' controls and options.

Here's a couple of videos, since they seem to be missing here so far - clear about being a shop (well, it should be obvious) and being "in partnership with Gibson" too.

Pax/
Dean

knavel

Tele-Holic
This is not a surprising move considering that the new owners of Gibson have taken considerable initiatives to demarcate and contain any intellectual property that can be associated with "Gibson". That would include "Maestro".

I can just see the board room discussion, "hey, how come we let this 'Maestro' trademark just languish? Those old effects are worth big bucks".

The only question is whether Gibson R&D produced these new pedals or just sourced the product for Maestro labelling. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the latter. Doing so would certainly get these to market faster.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
It is really hard to care about new pedals right now. The graphics are cool. At least they look different, because they probably won't sound different. They need to be building EP-3 replicas.