New Gibson Les Paul Special - amazing, but with a very slight issue. Complain or not?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by marc2211, Jan 21, 2020.

1. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

So I finally got some pics of my guitar together - hopefully you can see some of the issues. As I mentioned, mine was overall much better than the OPs, but still for me, a bit lacking.

First off there is a 7-8cm section where the scraping was 'off target' and scraped the side of the neck binding between the 11th and 15th frets, taking off the nitro lacquer. It goes down the 'dot' on the top of the neck:

IMG_20200123_215819.jpg

Next are a few places where there are scraping 'steps' or grooves in both the fretboard and the binding. It doesn't look so bad in the pic (especially compared to the OPs), but in 2 or 3 places it's pretty deep:

IMG_20200123_215410.jpg

Next up are some bad frets. In quite a few cases the fret slots weren't cleaned before the fret was put in, meaning there is trapped protruding wood (and high fret), other times, it seems like the fretboard was scraped up to the fret and the debris left along with some shaving still attached. Can be seen above and below (these were after I intially cleaned it up):

IMG_20200123_215210.jpg
    IMG_20200123_215502.jpg

Its really hard to see in total butit adds up over the whole fretboard - I put a gallery of the pics on Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SCMWHP9qRrVWabUe9

As my my original message, there is nothing here that a luthier can't put right. But it needs rescraping, a touch of nitro, and also a fret cleanup and fretjob.

I'm keeping the guitar as in all other aspects it plays very well indeed. My main issue was that I've never seen this on any of my Fenders, any of my Epiphones, or any other guitar I have... apart from one... a Gibson SG which has a misaligned fretboard!

Still waiting to hear back from Thomann.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Those pictures actually look really good to me. The only thing I'm seeing is weirdness on the fretboard around the frets themselves and maybe some finish issues along the binding? Really not seeing much here, which doesn't mean it's not really there, could just be hard to see in photos.

marc2211 likes this.
  3. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Yep, apart from the scrape down the binding, and the badly finished frets, the rest is good - way better than the other pics.

4. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Wow!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  5. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Meh.

6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

If it's a brand new guitar with a high fret and/or neck plane issue any Gibson authorized repair tech will either fix it or the the company will replace the guitar at no cost. I looked at the google file and didn't see any pics with a fret rocker.

Compared to my vintage Gibsons the binding scrape on yours looks like it was done on a good day.

And, if a neck was misaligned and verified by any authorized tech you can say the same about replacement.

marc2211 likes this.
  7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And not a single guitar was played that day.

Bones and Electric Warrior like this.
  8. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

The pics are a bit blurry but the thing I noticed is how the frets are so long it looks like It barely has nibs at all. I can see the process was done but just not much there.

9. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

To wrap this up - I spoke to Thomann, who have resolved everything in a very fair way. Stellar customer service as always.

kohoutec and Whatizitman like this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How? What was satisfactory to you? Cash adjustment? Exchange? They fix it?

Normally I'd not pry, and I'm not asking for numbers, but you started this whole thing. :)

marc2211 likes this.
  11. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

No worries! They made a small cash adjustment, enough to cover an hour or 2 of luthier time to tidy things up.

corliss1 and moosie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.