New Gibson Les Paul Special - amazing, but with a very slight issue. Complain or not?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by marc2211, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Are we viewing this through an electron microscope? Next to the binding there appears to be an amoeba attacking another single celled organism.

MilwMark and Bones like this.
  2. Telecasterless

I think I've got Agnesi's cell phone number somewhere.......

Matthias likes this.
  3. Telecasterless

oh good grief....do I now have to go check the binding on my Gibson that I have never looked at before?

MilwMark likes this.
  4. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Seriously? I guess we've all got different ideas about what's acceptable, but it surprises me that anyone would let this go... And I'm as far removed from OCD as you can get.
    It's just shoddy work pure and simple.

Uncle Daddy and RomanS like this.
  5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I genuinely don't think they are. Gibson have made a huge number of incredible guitars, it's just they made them fast and with an eye on profit getting them out the door rather than making the perfect instrument.

6. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree, this is super nit-picky, no way can you see that or feel that when playing. The binding is hand scraped.

MilwMark likes this.
  7. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Well - you could feel it; if you look at the first picture one of the gouges in the binding extends someway into the fingerboard.
    As i say, everyone has different ideas about what's acceptable, to me this wasn't remotely right and it had to go back. The replacement i eventually ordered is miles better all round, so I'm happy now. I still don't understand the apparent dismissal some people have about this stuff...as per one of my previous posts i have a totally 'hand made' guitar with *none* of these issues, and it cost pretty much the same as the Special.

8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I think there needs to be some clarification:

I think that everyone can agree that focusing on trivial finishing flaws/quirks is silly. In the great scheme of things, it doesn't matter and music can still be made. We could all probably spend more time of our chops rather than worry about aesthetics.

That's not the issue.

The issue is the brand elitism, over priced products with an over marketed craftsmanship while still falling short of all that fanfare.

At minimum two gibson employees (arguably more) the binding guy/the quality control/the final buffer all chose not to flag these guitars OR aren't keen enough to the details to notice.

This is compounded by imports that cost cents on the dollar and give them a run on the overall finishing quality.

I really do understand the folks who think that worrying about small stuff impedes the big picture of rocking out and making some music (correct me if my assesment is wrong.).

I can't understand how they could abide by a 1400 dollar USA guitar that has these sorts if issues though.

I believe that thise same folks saw a squier or epiphone with the same poor binding/fretboard work, they would be very quick to rag on imports and declare that you wouldn't find that sort of workmanship on 'murican made gibson...

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

This is binding over frets.

That's how they look. If you don't want that get a 2015 Gibson or some model without neck binding.

You can't compare Apples to Oranges. Epiphones, vintage, Japanese and early 90's that had fret binding have the same signs of hand work as do Gretsch, D'Angelico, Stromberg, Japanese Lawsuit guitars, Heritage guitars etc etc etc.

Sure, some are neater than others but you try doing the binding scrape job for 8 hours a day with perfection every time, lol. File marks and tiny gouges/scrapes are common among all the brands I listed above.

Fret over binding looks perfect every time, a whole different thing. If you want a guy to spend the extra hours it takes to go incredibly slow at the task then find a luthier who will absolve a day of labor.

10. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't know - lots of weird replies here.

That would drive me crazy, especially if it was new. Plenty of other companies can get it right with far better QC and similar or better price points. "Hand made" doesn't translate to "acceptable flaws" in my world. Martin and Taylor crank out just as many or more guitars, granted with a different binding system or none at all, and still always have world class fit and finish.

This has been such an ongoing thing for decades now, and for whatever reason Gibson still hasn't got the message.

ElJay370 likes this.
  11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

This is my Gibson Les Paul

0123200815a_HDR.jpg

MilwMark likes this.
  12. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

You didn't pay for a relic.

Complain to the seller AND send the guitar back. There are GOOD ones out there.

corliss1 likes this.
  13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

When I finally could afford to buy my very own brand new car, I remember how horrified I was when my son threw up in the back seat within the first week of ownership. Only a few months later I got side swiped, needing significant body work. 3 years in a semi jacknifed in front of me, and I couldn't get around or stop in time. It was totaled.

I learned two valuable lessons: (1) the more expensive and/or new something is, the more stressed I am about any imperfections, mishaps, dings/dents, etc.... (2) At some point the newness wears off and a dent here or there is no longer much of a concern. I'm on my second car I bought new, and after 5 years it's already got 80K+ miles on it, and plenty of scratches. The first big scratch was very painful. The last few have been no big deal. I take good care of it. But scratches and barf happen. Eventually it will be past its prime, and need to be replaced.

Where was I going with this? Not sure. Oh yeah. My cars. The first new one was a civic. The 2nd one is an accord. It's quite a step up from a civic. But it's not a lexus or 4runner, or whatever. I paid $25k. That's nothing in today's car world. Since owning it I've realized I will probably never need anything more than a mid-range accord. It does exactly what I need it to do, reliably. It's not fancy, but it's not cartoonish, either. I like it mechanically and stylistically enough that I don't long for a nicer ride. OTOH, I also know at some point it will get old, banged up, need more repairs, etc.... Or maybe it will get totaled. It won't hurt too bad to see it get old and die. It's a $25k car that's almost paid off, and I use it. That I happen to like it a lot is icing on the cake. I made a good choice.

I'm buying an epiphone.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    50ShadesofOrange likes this.
  14. corliss1

@Whatizitman - I'm not sure that's the same. You're talking about accidents and normal use, but these defects are present right from the get go. If that brand new car did have the puke and scratches, I guarantee you wouldn't have bought it :D

15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Burny a 1 out (2).jpg

neilybob100 likes this.
  16. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

No kidding. OP is lucky the problem is relatively minor. I've seen the videos and read the comments on various forums.
    You can send the guitar back to Gibson, and you could get one with a whole different problem. Gibson, the company, has issues.
    Me personally, if and when I breakdown and buy a LP guitar, it's going to be ESP or Epiphone. And the Epiphone Pro III for $300 bucks (sale) looks mighty tempting.

17. deytookerjaabs

Why is so hard to accept that filing fret binding after frets are seated leaves tiny traces??

This is a Vintage D'Angelico guitar worth a ****load of money built by a master luthier. If you've ever held a super clean rarely touched original one in your hand that had original frets you'd see tiny file marks around the bining:

[​IMG]

THIS is why people don't get microscopic, because many of us know how instruments that have hand filed binding actually look.

18. corliss1

I'm fine with some warble from it being done by hand. I'm not find with scrapes and chunks missing. I'll post some of my own pictures in a bit.

19. deytookerjaabs

I don't think you're computing it right.

The binding sits over/beside the fret. First it's taken down a bit with a router but that doesn't finish the job. Then, around every single fret, the hardest part being after the neck join where you can't get a good angle, you file the plastic/royalite down flush at all ends. To fine it down further you use a scraper/razorblade. This results in some imperfections unless you do a 100% perfect job and never slip. In which case, since you're perfect...I challenge you!!!!

Again, some of the finest instruments in the world you can see a little scrape mark and filing etc.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    moosie likes this.
  20. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Send it back. You’re not happy and it’s a fairly bad mark.

Don’t Thomann supposedly check things before they go out or did I make that up? You could ask them to inspect the replacement. Tell them you’re part of TDPRI and the peer pressure to spend thousands at online music stores is enormous... You don’t want bad customer service to put you off :D

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.