New Gibson Les Paul Special - amazing, but with a very slight issue. Complain or not?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by marc2211, Jan 21, 2020.

1. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Sorry for the disappointing details. Reading many posts here on the web, it appears that neck binding has become one area in which Gibson's current production is genuinely poor, which is a major disappointment. Most of us would not fork over cash for something with such defects, even though they do not affect playability, but your circumstances are different. I would seek some degree of refund, keep the guitar, and get the binding fixed. (I could do that work successfully myself, though I would be super-pissed to be doing the maker's job for him!). Perhaps Gibson will pay for the work if you have access to an authorized shop. The deal is, Gibson has been trying to eliminate handwork in its instruments (vis the adjustable nut, for instance) and continues to do an iffy job executing tasks like these that required the skilled and experienced human labor they no longer want to pay for. That's an amateurish hack job.

DHart and marc2211 like this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The dig looks like it’s in the binding where it will never matter. I’d press the seller for some concession and leave it at that. Call it relic. That’s made in USA for ya. You’d never see that on a MIJ or MIK Gretsch.

3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I've scraped tons of binding. Those marks are a combination of a dull blade and carelessness. That guitar shouldn't have even left the factory like that. I'm not even a fussy guy, really....but that looks like s**t.

If you're in love with the guitar in every other respect, I'd say keep it and live with it. This is the level that new Gibsons are at. Any replacement is likely to look the same or worse. On the upside, even though it's not something you should even have to deal with, it's an easy fix.

I'd still complain to the dealer, though. They might offer a partial refund or some free strings/picks/cables/etc.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I sent 2 back. The first had a polish burn on the back around 6" long, the second looked like it had been polished by Stevie Wonder on a Friday afternoon. Both had tooling marks on the fretboard binding like the OP. It's just not good enough. My 2016 special is 100% faultless, so it is possible for Gibson to turn out a good product; maybe they just need a bit of motivating after the Henry years.

marc2211 likes this.
  5. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    It's a factory made guitar. Priced accordingly.
    Some of you guys would have had big problems with new guitars back in the 60s and 70s and even the 80s.
    Hell, if we got one that played in tune, sounded good, had good action and came with a hard case, we were happy campers.
    Little stuff like what is being discussed here would have seemed like, well, I'd better not say.

stnmtthw, MilwMark, Old duck and 3 others like this.
  6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would say very unimportant in a lower price range, but as the price goes up, you’re paying more and more for the fit and finish. If I liked the guitar functionally, I wouldn’t send it back, but I would certainly bring it to the attention of the retailer and the manufacturer, and press for a price reduction. It would definitely figure into a review of the product, and influence the possibility of future purchases by me from that manufacturer.

7. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Every Gibson I have played at GC or Sam Ash that was sub $2000 looked like a factory second to me. Gibson has made some qc improvements I think, but they really need to focus on the fretboards. My Epi 55 inspired LP custom has amazing 5 ply binding, so it can be done.

marc2211 likes this.
  8. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Honestly. Me. I wouldn't worry about it. But you're not me. If it bugs you, send it back.

Old duck and marc2211 like this.
  9. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The vote here is to either send it back or bring it to an authorized Gibson repair guy for warranty repair. In the last 2 years I bought 2 MIM Fenders. Expensive for MIM Fenders-a Jag (vintage model with lacquer finish) and a TVL Jazzmaster. Both came with hard cases and were beautiful right out of the box. In the same period I bought a new Gibson LP Humbucking Special and I had to clean all the pots, and adjust the neck. Made in USA Gibsons should be better finished than they are. Can anyone comment on the "premium" models? If I spring $5k for an SJ200-what do I expect?

marc2211 likes this.
  10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Really? I won't alienate the forum by expressing exactly how silly this nitpicking is. Suffice to say, I'll gladly take any "inferior" Gibsons off of your hands when your disappointment becomes too much for you to bear.

Mad Kiwi, MilwMark, Old duck and 2 others like this.
  11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

If the flaws in the op’s Gibson were present on an Epiphone, the amount of condemnation would be endless. There would be comments like “ You get what you pay for”and every Asian put down imaginable.
    It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of Epiphone because the ones I’ve bought leave me feeling like I got a great deal.
    Just because of my character flaws no doubt, I can’t enjoy something I feel like I paid too much for.
    Conversely I can feel real good about something that I did get a good deal on, but money aside I can attest to this.
    None of the Epiphone’s that I own have flaws like the ones in the pics, or any obvious flaws. I own three that were all purchased new. Two of them have never even had any set up work needed and I’m kinda fussy about set ups, I do my own and it’s rare that I can’t find something to improve in the set up.
    The good news is that there is plenty of room in the guitar market for Gibson’s and Epiphone.

cnlbb, Nickfl, Mad Kiwi and 5 others like this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Well, here's my belief: with handmade (or partially handmade) guitars, they are not going to be perfect. Ever. You're paying for craftsman ship, but "man" is in that word, and humans will never produce something 100% perfect.

CNC machines, on the other hand.....

marc2211 and Paul G. like this.
  13. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Have you seen the faultless stuff Terada makes for Gretsch? Even the budget Electromatics don't leave the factory with tooling marks.

14. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Except this is a 'murican made guitar, and imports that cost a third don't have these issues...

American craftsmanship vs imports is one of the lynchpin arguments that folks make.

Switchy and Nickfl like this.
  15. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I get to see a few new Gibsons across my work bench and I have been appalled at the quality of many of them. I've got a lot of pictures and anecdotes but lets just say that who ever marked this off should have been fired

IMG_3858.JPG

I was hoping that after Henry got sacked things would improve, so far I haven't been impressed.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    DHart likes this.
  16. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

You paid for the name on the guitar and that’s it. Everyone saying Gibson’s at that price shouldn’t have these issues... Gibson doesn’t care. They know you’re buying it cause it says Gibson on it. Like I buy Fenders because they don’t say Gibson on them. It’s your money and your guitar, I’d never have bought it to start with but I’ve played enough Gibson’s to know that if that’s the only thing wrong with it you should count yourself lucky.

jh

Switchy and Mad Kiwi like this.
  17. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

IMG_3879.JPG

Switchy and AndyPanda like this.
  18. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

See I can't agree with this. I've got a hand made guitar, it's pretty much flawless, and cost about the same as a new Gibson Les Paul special. It's fully bound and has none of the flaws the special I sent back did.
    Furthermore no CNC machines were involved, they don't use them. Made by a UK company Gordon Smith.
    I would say It's testament to the fact that amazing quality guitars can be produced to a reasonable price point with some decent quality control and a bit of care and attention.

Don't get me wrong...I love my special but it's far from perfect...I don't really understand why so many people are prepared to overlook the QC issues that seem to keep coming up with Gibson

19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

My 2012 Gibson Special is flawless. But that was made 8 years ago. What's happened to 'merican craftsmanship at Gibson? Bunch of careless, lazy attitude spreading at Gibson, it seems.

Gibson needs to be held accountable for this. It's sloppy workmanship combined with lax quality control standards. The more we accept these flaws, the more we'll see of them.

Similar to an earlier poster's comments about Epiphone, I've got Epiphone ES-Les Pauls that are flawless and fantastic instruments. And have, have had, two Epiphone ES-339s that are equally as nice. Epi has risen to excellency as Gibson is sinking to sloppiness.

boredguy6060 and kohoutec like this.
  20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

It would bug me too, but. If you can’t hand-pick it, what some are saying about the replacement could be worse is worth contemplating. Especially if shipping is an issue. That said, I was so floored by my 2019 LPJ tribute. No dings or flaws and it becomes my main axe. Sucks that guitar cost more than double the LPJ (just didn’t find any QC issues). Did you get the birthday pic of your axe on the bench?).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.