New Gibson Les Paul Special - amazing, but with a very slight issue. Complain or not?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by marc2211, Jan 21, 2020.

1. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Hi all,

Last week I had one of my 'unicorn' guitars delivered - a 2019 Les Paul Special in TV Yellow. I've not had time to look at it since due to work, other than check that the body was ok, neck was ok, and it played ok.

It plays fantastically and sounds wonderful when plaugged in, so I've jammed away for a few hours on it when I've had the chance, and I'm pretty delighted.

Looking closely this morning, I noticed a very slight (.5mm) 'step down' or long dent between frets at both the 3rd and 9th frets... looking closer, the person cutting down the binding misjudged and cut into the fretboard too! It isn't sharp, and doesn't effect playability in any way. I suspect that when I have some wear on the guitar it'll disappear in a few years as I have the touch of a blacksmith, or could be fixed/levelled at the first fret dressing.

Wondering what everyone else would do - live and let live' or complain to the seller to let them know?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Birthmark...

3. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

From the video reviews I've been watching that is how Gibson's are these days.

Switchy and marc2211 like this.
  4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Considering that the MSRP on the Gibson is $1600 and the MSRP on the Epiphone is $400, I’d complain.
    If there going to ask 4 times as much for the Gibson as they do for the Epiphone I’d expect nothing short of perfect.
    If I had the Epiphone I probably wouldn’t, but I’ll bet the Gibson is not 4 times better than the Epiphone, so what you paid extra for was the name and with it comes the expectation of the highest quality, which it doesn’t appear you received, I’d complain.
    Good luck.

5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Would you be able to post a picture?

In the meantime I would suggest you ask yourself one question: if you could cancel the whole purchase with the blink of an eye, would you?

I’ve personally already been confronted to the very same situation. I solved the dilemma answering this simple question.
    Sometimes you seek reasons to keep the guitar, whereas it’s mostly that you just want to spare all the hassle of sending it back.
    And sometimes you just really want to keep the instrument nonetheless.

6. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I sent the first one i got back, it was a nice guitar but had horrific tooling marks in the binding, with some really nasty gouges that extended into the fingerboard.

The 2nd one i got is much better, but to be honest it still has some light(er) tooling marks. It plays so well i decided to keep it, and i genuinely love it, but it does irk me...it's not like they're budget guitars and for the money we're paying i wouldn't expect to see these kind of things. The 'it's hand made and to be expected' argument that some spout doesn't wash with me...it's just shoddy.

I guess I'm saying if you send it back and get another (assuming you can't play them in store first) there's no guarantee the replacement will be any better - and if the one you've got is a decent player it might be easier to stick with it

Deeve, Wildcard_35 and marc2211 like this.
  7. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Aren't slight imperfections the result of something being handmade? Of course I'm not sure how much of a Gibson guitar is actually handmade.

Single cutaway or double cutaway.

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just play the guitar.

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

If it doesn’t affect playability, and it sounds/looks/feels right otherwise, keep it.

The replacement may be worse.

Either way, I’d call and complain to both the seller and to Gibson...the seller, because it should have been noted...Gibson, because Mark A was supposed to fix all this stuff when he went all Michael Corleone in that infamous video.

10. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Ah, so it's not just mine - this sounds exactly like my issue. For me, the marks aren't that bad, and don't effect how it plays - but yep they are in the binding, and extend to the finger board in 2 places. I am thinking I'll just go with it in case a replacement is worse! To send it back from Switzerland to Germany is a real hassle too.

I think that my luthier would be able to smotth everything out in no time.

My Gibson SG has a fingerboard that is not quite aligned either (you can feel a lip on both sides of the neck!), and it's been a lovely guitar for ages.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  11. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I'd like to see a picture.

imho, gibson does so much naysaying and horn tooting that they should make good on their products.

Send it back.

Cysquatch, jrblue and marc2211 like this.
  12. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

These pics are from the first one I sent back. Really poor in my opinion![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

drewcp and marc2211 like this.
  13. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

If you don’t complain this level of “craftsmanship” will continue.

Your seller and Gibson won’t improve unless they hear back from buyers like you.

If you think the guitar is amazing otherwise I would keep it. That said, this is yet another reason I don’t even consider buying Gibsons. Epiphones on the other hand at 25% of the cost are still on the table.

14. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Quite poor indeed!
    I’ve had similar issues with Rickenbacker.

15. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Dayum!!! This is why I choose other brands to get what I want from Gibson. I have a tv yellow Schecter Tempest Special w/P90s nd it’s fantastic. Definitely a strat-Paul take it or leave it body but I took a chance and love it! I look for way better quality to $$$ ratio and it’s not there in Gibson. I do miss my LP Special SL. Loved those mini traps! I’d buy a Gibson if it were a great deal but otherwise no.

16. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Asking’s free.

I’d ask for an adjustment, but if I really liked the guitar I’d keep it regardless of what they said. Just for reference, I’m not very fussy, so if I want an adjustment, it’s significant.

17. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

My Special has some small cosmetic issues. You won't notice them on first glance, and they don't interfere with play, but there are a few. It feels, plays, and sounds awesome. The issues are nowhere near the type that kohoutec posted - that would be completely unacceptable. But others mileage may vary.

18. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting the pics - mine isn't as bad overall, with most of the binding looking decent - but it's very similar in the worse spots (one of the gouges is probably a bit worse).

I'll post pics this evening when I get home.

I dropped Thomann (where I bought it) an email to inform them of the issue, also stating that I wouldn't want to send it back - lets see what they come up with.

I'm pretty sure that a luthier could rescrape the beinding and smooth out the fretboard, but I'd prefer not to have to pay for this on a brand new guitar.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Very unimportant on that guitar and price range. Very.

stnmtthw, vgallagher, NewKid and 2 others like this.
  20. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1. And I thought I had OCD...:D
    My opinion...I'd gladly pay $1600 for a Gibson vs a $399 Epiphone. Those Gibson TV Yellow Specials with P90s have been on my radar big time.

marc2211 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.