New Gear Day... yawn.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Colors, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

I didnt bother taking a picture because this is about as exciting as a new tire purchase. Oh its gear and it's new but man is it boring.

I just bought a new tom stand for my drum kit.

Normally when I get a new guitar or a new amp or new pedal or even a nice new cable or strap i cant wait to try it out.

This 9700 series Gibraltar stand is sweet as far a tubular metal goes. How far does tubular metal really go though?

Better still I'm not a gigging drummer. So this is getting set up once in my basement. So no glee from easier lighter set up or tare down. What's more I have a 3 week old baby in the house and I probably won t be playing drums for a year.

Why did I buy this?

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hahahahaha my drum kit has been stored for ten years!
    I do give the (vintage '50s/ '60s Zildjians) hi hats and ride a little run every year or so, but no kit workin'.
    Oh boy you gotta try some 15" hats with a thin top heavy bottom, snarling glory.

Actually I put a 10" deep maple 12 lug Ludwig snare by the TV a couple years ago hoping to get excited to move the couch out into the yard, but so far no luck...

3. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

Man I'd like to get my hands on some vintage zildjians. Not in the cards at the moment. Currently I've got a very miss matched set of cymbals. 16" A medium crash, midrangey (sounds like a poop sickle by itself and amazing with a band) 14" A Custom master sound hats. (Super bright. Loud. Great chick but way too aggressive stick) and a Sabian AA Apollo ride. (Super cool, dark great bell, gets washy but never so much that you cant hear the stick anymore) I need different hats. They dont fit my sound or the other two cymbals. Nice hats are outrageous though. Should have bought hats I would have been excited about those.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe you need a rehearsal space share to set it up and practice in?
    I think that's a key component for a drum kit, a good room where you don't have to worry about being too loud.

Yeah hi hats are wickedly expensive, I've never quite understood the language of drums and cymbals, but generally shop for what I like the sound of and what I can get a good price on.
    I've come to feel that matched hats are an industry myth to keep us spending, and have a couple of sets I put together from singles, plus sometimes swap one for another to get more of something that's missing.

One thing to look for is sets that you'd swear were Zildjians but have no brand stamp, just an "S" near the bell. These are seconds from I'm guessing older eras like the '70s.
    I've had a couple of pairs with the S I got really cheap, that sounded superb.
    Some it seems have no S or Zildjian logo, I'd guess they didn't always stamp the S, but you can tell they are the real deal, or at least an amazingly good take on a no name non-stamped-sheet-bronze cymbal.

5. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

Thanks for the tip on the S. Used cymbal market around here is slim pick 'ens. I don't know if drummers here just never get rid of their gear of if everyone in the area only ever bought sabian b8's.

Best one I ever scored was a late 60's Zilco 22" ride. Picked it up for 65 bucks. Played it for a couple of years it was a good cymbal but I was offered twice what I paid for it and turned out I liked that kinda profit margin better. From what I understood Zilco's are seconds in a manner. I know they were "finished" in what became the Sabian factory. Typically lathed but not hammered. Sounded good to me. Price was right and it wasn't cracked or keyholed. The shop where I bought it closed about a year later too. Which is too bad cause now that only drum shop in town is guitar center.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.