New Gas Cans, WHat were they thinking?

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
That's the thing that's given me pause all this time.

Might be a good idea to call your local fire department. Just tell them what you have and see what they advise you to do. I had a whole bunch of very old marine flares I inherited, and wanted to get them off the property. I called around to hazardous waste, and even to Sacramento, and got no good answers. I finally called the Harbor Patrol in the city next door, and they said to bring them by and they'll use them for training, or otherwise dispose of them. I did that, and they actually thanked me for bringing them in. I imagine your local fire department might even come out and pick it up, but don't quote me on that.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My steel 1 gallon can says "La-Cal Automotive Co., 1965".

I retrieved it from my brother's, in laws' house in Birmingham after Mr. White died and Ms. White was moving into something smaller. Nothing being made today, works better IMO and I have 9/10s of a gallon in it right now, in the car trunk as I write this at the Internet connection in front of the Library. Just don't forget it is in there.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Might be a good idea to call your local fire department. Just tell them what you have and see what they advise you to do. I had a whole bunch of very old marine flares I inherited, and wanted to get them off the property. I called around to hazardous waste, and even to Sacramento, and got no good answers. I finally called the Harbor Patrol in the city next door, and they said to bring them by and they'll use them for training, or otherwise dispose of them. I did that, and they actually thanked me for bringing them in. I imagine your local fire department might even come out and pick it up, but don't quote me on that.
That's a fantastic idea!

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but replacement spouts, etc., are readily available on Amazon and elsewhere for folks who prefer the old style. I've done that for the newer fuel containers I have for both gasoline and diesel.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The cans I have I bought over 20 years ago, and still going. When I see these new spouts I just shake my head but then I think about the society we live in today, and then they make sense LOL!!! ;)

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
The cans I have I bought over 20 years ago, and still going. When I see these new spouts I just shake my head but then I think about the society we live in today, and then they make sense LOL!!! ;)

I kind of agree, I'm old school, but the more I think about it, sometimes improvements are a good idea. The new cans have internal flame arresting designs, and automatic fuel cut offs Years ago my sister was out in the desert putting gas in an ATV with an old-style metal can, and it caught fire and flared up in her face. Luckily she was not injured, just some burnt hair, but it could have been devastating. It probably sparked when the metal nozzle touched the gas tank. I wasn't there when it happened, so I didn't see what occurred. However if that happened and she backed away from the ATV and didn't have an automatic shut-off, gasoline could still be pouring out of the can, expanding the fire.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
By the way, I've been looking into it, and there are a couple safety features on these new cans that are pretty important. One is a simple fine mesh screen at the base of the spout, which prevents any kind of heat or fire from entering the can, causing it to explode. It's a very inexpensive safety device, and there have been cases of people getting maimed or killed by an exploding can that didn't have this simple screen. The other is an internal plastic liner, which controls the fuel vapors. The third is the automatic shut-off, so when you withdraw the nozzle from the gas tank the gas flow stops. I just looked at the nozzle in my can and found a conical mesh screen, and there is the internal plastic vapor control mesh. It also has the safety cut off, which completely prevents any spillage. Like I said before, I wasn't happy with this at first, but now I think it's a good idea. It's kind of like seat belts, I never wore them, then I got a ticket, then I finally decided to wear them, and now it's automatic. In fact I feel strange if I don't have it on now.

20220606_092310.jpg
20220606_092710.jpg

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I never would have thought that gas cans would get almost as many rants as Joe Bonamassa on this forum. I hate my own gas can so much I named it “Yngwie”.

Doctor of Teleocity
1E159921-72B0-4283-818A-7CDBFE5F593E.jpeg

Was thinking about this thread filling up one of our cans. Coworker screwed a screw in the top so that it vents. Can’t fill it all the way to the brim, but it works in the heat. We unscrew caps a bit if storing in the shed. Super hot days, the plastic will bulge out bad if you don’t stay on top of the venting. I’ve tried other vent methods as well, it can be very dangerous if they aren’t allowed to vent.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Lucky for me I have two cans left over from the late 90’s / early 2000’s . I pray they don’t get stolen… these new ones are insane

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
There’s also warnings on the windshield sun cover for my truck (a necessity in Texas summers) that says, “Do not drive while cover is in place.”

The fact that the manufacturer had to put such a warning on it does not bode well for some of our Homo Sapiens brethren.