New Gas Cans, WHat were they thinking?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I bought a new plastic gas (can?) at WalMart a few years back, it has a simple fill spout with an intuitive release on it. Works like a charm, the thing that I don't understand it that it is the ONLY gas can I ever had that didn't stink of gasoline. When I take it and fill it, I never smell gasoline. The other vessels I've used always reeked of gasoline.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
"What is the purpose of these new fangled (yes, I said 'fangled') pour spouts?"
The purpose is to avoid gas fumes into the atmosphere. The reality is they put gas all over the ground or equiptment making it worse.
Yeah, they are terrible and undoubtedly cause more gas spills into the environment than the old ones. Amazon or Ebay have old school replacement can spouts that work.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
If you're buying $20 polyethylene cans at the Home Despot, you're getting a cheap can that isn't even a great material for storing gas.

A good-quality, galvanized Type II safety can won't vent gas vapors to the air and will dispense all the gas you want without spilling. Yeah, they're a little north of $100, but you'll buy exactly one, it'll last the rest of your life and you'll never start a thread on TDPRI about how awful it is.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Not much, she is not smoking. I like how the guy is filming her, and not telling her this might be dangerous.

While putting gasoline in a bag like that is a recipe for disaster, the true abomination in that video is the music that guy is listening to. Oh, the HUMANITY. I think that explains a lot about why he's not advising the woman to cease doing what she's doing.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Never spilled much gas til the spill-proof cans came out. friggin horrible! Fortunately I have a couple old ones that I use for equipment refueling.
Truly one of my pet peeves.
Yep. I finally wedged that extendocrap spout thing under my shoe and broke it off.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
"What is the purpose of these new fangled (yes, I said 'fangled') pour spouts?"
The purpose is to avoid gas fumes into the atmosphere. The reality is they put gas all over the ground or equiptment making it worse.
Yeah, they are terrible and undoubtedly cause more gas spills into the environment than the old ones. Amazon or Ebay have old school replacement can spouts that work.

I wouldn't generalize and say all of the plastic gas containers are bad. Like I said before, the small one I purchased is working perfectly. It's like anything, there's good ones and there's bad ones. There's good designs and bad designs, and good manufacturers and bad manufacturers. In fact every metal gas container I've owned has tended to rust, and they tend to leak when pouring gas.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Mike - - Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I routinely get posts deleted because of "political" or other such [email protected] Gives the moderators something to do with their fingers other than practice. Would hate to see this be why you go.
Well, Im not leaving voluntarily. Ha. But the trend on other sites (which I hope doesn’t carry over here) is week long bans. I made a very benign joke on a thread at another forum, just trying to lighten the mood in a thread that had become a dumpster fire. It got deleted. I messaged the moderator who deleted it, apologizing and asking for clarification of the violation (there was nothing political, religious or vulgar, about it.) Two minutes later, I was banned for a week. No explanation. Nothing. So, when my week ban is up, I will be deleting my profile from that forum. TDPRI seems a lot more mature of a site, so I don't see stronghand moderating needed here, but I also dont see profanity (within reason, and as long as it’s not toward any member) as a problem or reason to delete a post. We’re all respectful adults AFAICT, and until thats NOT the case, I’m not in favor of heavy hands, but I don’t make the rules.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I hadn't bought a gas can in I don't know how long, and wanted to get a little one gallon can because I recently got an old Yamaha Enduro running I like to ride around town. I can fill up at the gas station, but it's nice to have a gallon of gas at home. I walked into AutoZone, and they only had two styles, with all kinds of safety features built-in. So I picked the one that look the simplest, took it to the counter and asked the guy how to use it. He wasn't even sure, then he figured it out.

As it turns out, once I got used to it it works really well. I can tilt the nozzle into the gas tank and there's a little part that catches on the lip. Then once it's in I push on the red lock and push forward, and the gas comes out. Once I back off a spring closes a valve and locks, and I don't spill a drop.

I don't think you need to ground a plastic tank. The idea with a metal gas nozzle is because of static electricity it could arc when it touches the metal tank, so you should touch your hand to metal on the vehicle before you put the nozzle in. It also has some kind of system that protects against fire from vapors or something, but I have no idea how that works.
My last can was the type you have (purchased at Harborfreight). Unfortunately the can sprung a leak after 6 years. It was OK while it lasted, much better than the new one I picked up at Lowes. I'm going to purchase a regular spout.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
My last can was the type you have (purchased at Harborfreight). Unfortunately the can sprung a leak after 6 years. It was OK while it lasted, much better than the new one I picked up at Lowes. I'm going to purchase a regular spout.

I don't think you bought one like mine at Harbor Freight, because this one is made in the USA. As I said, all plastic gas cans are not designed or manufactured equally.

Attachments

• 20220529_120624.jpg
    20220529_120624.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220529_120650.jpg
    20220529_120650.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 10

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've had this thing thirty years, and there's what sounds like a gallon or so of something in it, but I can't open it by hand.
1653856426689-1889511361.jpg

P.S. I am share in the peevity over newfangled gascans.

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
What is the purpose of these new fangled (yes, I said 'fangled') pour spouts? Rube Goldberg's ideas must have been at the core of this spout/can design.
SO...
Riding mower ran out of gas about an acre and a half away from the shed. Lugged the full can to the mower, it was funny how heavy that can felt at the end.
The mower is top fill, so I have to lift this thing about 3 1/2 feet, turn it so the spout is facing down.
Notice the handle on the top, pretty much useless for a pour position.
I use the hanger clip to support the weight of the can on the lip of the mower's plastic gas tank.
I now have to lift the spring latch and push the big green release valve on the spout.
The weight of the full can deforms the tractors plastic gas tank and the clip slips off the lip, this forces the spout off the threads of the gas can, pouring gas all over...at least some gas splashes into the tank!
Second attempt, I get the can into a headlock position so I can hold the full weight while depressing the giant green release valve. This works, but it is friggin' ridiculous.

I've been pouring gas into engines since I was 6 years old and I have never exploded or caught fire. The principle is pretty straight forward, tip the can, gas comes out and flows into the gas tank.
Why do we need these silly 'rube goldberg type' contraptions?

Rant over.

View attachment 988234

I actually like that tank for my push mower. You don't spill gas everywhere as you turn it to pour. And it shuts off as soon as you let the green button go so you don't have to lift it out of the fill hole, spraying gas all over the mower and everything else as you pull it out and the mower tank overflows anyway. Lol.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

I was going to make a crude comment, like you should take that can out to the desert and let it warm up in the sun, then get really far away and shoot it, but seriously, I don't think it's a good idea to keep an old gas can like that stored with a small amount of fuel in it. Even if the lid is frozen shut, the seal may have degraded, and vapors could escape, and if an ignition source was nearby, it could turn that thing into a bomb. If it were on my property, I would very carefully try to get it open without causing a spark, and get rid of that old gas.