New Gas Cans, WHat were they thinking?

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I hadn't bought a gas can in I don't know how long, and wanted to get a little one gallon can because I recently got an old Yamaha Enduro running I like to ride around town. I can fill up at the gas station, but it's nice to have a gallon of gas at home. I walked into AutoZone, and they only had two styles, with all kinds of safety features built-in. So I picked the one that look the simplest, took it to the counter and asked the guy how to use it. He wasn't even sure, then he figured it out.

As it turns out, once I got used to it it works really well. I can tilt the nozzle into the gas tank and there's a little part that catches on the lip. Then once it's in I push on the red lock and push forward, and the gas comes out. Once I back off a spring closes a valve and locks, and I don't spill a drop.

I don't think you need to ground a plastic tank. The idea with a metal gas nozzle is because of static electricity it could arc when it touches the metal tank, so you should touch your hand to metal on the vehicle before you put the nozzle in. It also has some kind of system that protects against fire from vapors or something, but I have no idea how that works.

Attachments

• 20220528_194855.jpg
    20220528_194855.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220528_194834.jpg
    20220528_194834.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
gasoline can generate thousands of volts in static electricity when it flows. and plastic cans are worse than metal. I have several stories of aircraft burning during fueling operations gone wrong. friends of mine, not me. its real. the thing to do is keep the can in contact with the structure while draining the can. keep contact for 20-30 seconds after the can is empty so charges can equalize

and yeah.... lawyers. thats why we are here. I was drunk and spilled gas on my crotch while smoking a doob and set myself on fire.... its your fault for having a bad can. and the corp lawyers say pay him a mil... its cheaper than fighting it.... and down the road we go. I'm stupid... pay me. OK.. sure

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
The “modern” gas can nozzle is an abomination designed by those who’ve never used a gas can. They are my main old man peeve, fully realized after a modem spout cracked and broke off while trying to pour 5 gallons of diesel into my tractor. The new cans spill far more gas then my old ones over time.

I’ve got 6 older cans with various spouts that work, and two of those are simply “self venting” without the damned springs and levers. They’re slower than my vented old cans but have withstood many years of use. I also use the replacement vented nozzle for others and they work good enough.

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve been pouring gas for some 40 odd years, never spilled more than a drop or two. Enter these damn “safe pour” abominations. If I asked you to design a gas spilling device you could do a lot worse. I modify ’em straight away.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
gasoline can generate thousands of volts in static electricity when it flows. and plastic cans are worse than metal. I have several stories of aircraft burning during fueling operations gone wrong. friends of mine, not me. its real. the thing to do is keep the can in contact with the structure while draining the can. keep contact for 20-30 seconds after the can is empty so charges can equalize

and yeah.... lawyers. thats why we are here. I was drunk and spilled gas on my crotch while smoking a doob and set myself on fire.... its your fault for having a bad can. and the corp lawyers say pay him a mil... its cheaper than fighting it.... and down the road we go. I'm stupid... pay me. OK.. sure

I think part of that is in how fast the gasoline is flowing through the nozzle, and by the way I wasn't defending the newfangled plastic cans, I just bought a little one gallon can and it's working well so I'm fine with it. I have an old-school one that's two and a half gallons, but it's kind of rusty so I don't want to use it.

Folks that need some 5-gallon cans should be able to still find them at surplus and tractor suppliers, I think (hope).

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 988249
At work we use something similar to this for 50:1. Straight fuel tanks are No Spill type plastic cans like these:

View attachment 988250
Man, I have an old steel gas can I inherited from my grandpa that looks like the top picture in 1955’s post, only it’s a 5-gallon can so it’s a lot taller and weighs about 1,700 lb when full. And that spring-loaded cap has a STIFF spring in it.

Our new Husqvarna zero turn mower has two 6-gallon tanks on it, one above each drive wheel. Holding that big hard-sprung monster can over the fillers—twice!—to fill that thing up involves some wrist fatigue and fuel spillage even with a funnel.

On the other hand, that can can fall over when full and not lose a drop.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
View attachment 988249
At work we use something similar to this for 50:1. Straight fuel tanks are No Spill type plastic cans like these:

View attachment 988250
We use these types at some scale with now 14 trail systems and from ski area management. Long ago in different work I learned the hazards of gas cans and toxic stuff in a work place so I consider this topic silly or willful ignorance.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
What is the purpose of these new fangled (yes, I said 'fangled') pour spouts? Rube Goldberg's ideas must have been at the core of this spout/can design.
SO...
Riding mower ran out of gas about an acre and a half away from the shed. Lugged the full can to the mower, it was funny how heavy that can felt at the end.
The mower is top fill, so I have to lift this thing about 3 1/2 feet, turn it so the spout is facing down.
Notice the handle on the top, pretty much useless for a pour position.
I use the hanger clip to support the weight of the can on the lip of the mower's plastic gas tank.
I now have to lift the spring latch and push the big green release valve on the spout.
The weight of the full can deforms the tractors plastic gas tank and the clip slips off the lip, this forces the spout off the threads of the gas can, pouring gas all over...at least some gas splashes into the tank!
Second attempt, I get the can into a headlock position so I can hold the full weight while depressing the giant green release valve. This works, but it is friggin' ridiculous.

I've been pouring gas into engines since I was 6 years old and I have never exploded or caught fire. The principle is pretty straight forward, tip the can, gas comes out and flows into the gas tank.
Why do we need these silly 'rube goldberg type' contraptions?

Rant over.

View attachment 988234
I hate those, too. Such a pain!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have a push and Hold button that you have to be a gorilla to keep depressed. I guess it’s safer.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Well, at least it's not just me. The idea of safety and gasoline makes some sense but as usual the ball gets dropped during design, execution and quality control.

@Alex_C get's it right about the pour position. The can in @Happy Enchilada post seems to make more sense to me. At least it's a step in the right direction.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
What is the purpose of these new fangled (yes, I said 'fangled') pour spouts? Rube Goldberg's ideas must have been at the core of this spout/can design.
SO...
Riding mower ran out of gas about an acre and a half away from the shed. Lugged the full can to the mower, it was funny how heavy that can felt at the end.
The mower is top fill, so I have to lift this thing about 3 1/2 feet, turn it so the spout is facing down.
I use the hanger clip to support the weight of the can on the lip of the mower's plastic gas tank.
I now have to lift the spring latch and push the big green release valve on the spout.
The weight of the full can deforms the tractors plastic gas tank and the clip slips off the lip, this forces the spout off the threads of the gas can, pouring gas all over...at least some gas splashes into the tank!
Second attempt, I get the can into a headlock position so I can hold the full weight while depressing the giant green release valve. This works, but it is friggin' ridiculous.

I've been pouring gas into engines since I was 6 years old and I have never exploded or caught fire. The principle is pretty straight forward, tip the can, gas comes out and flows into the gas tank.
Why do we need these silly 'rube goldberg type' contraptions?

Rant over.

View attachment 988234
I have posted rants on this subject and would quickly end the thread if I let loose on this one. I buy Kerosene cans. They are typically blue and are not as stupid as gubment perfected safety cans. Can, spout, vent, cap the way god intended!!

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
The tag on 55's gas can pic has a label that says 'Easy to fill.' There it is, verification that the process is easy.

geoff_in_nc

Friend of Leo's
yeah.... hasn't been a decent gas can made in a couple decades. they keep making them safer and safer until they are so safe you can't pour the gas out of them.

do a search on evilbay for "gas can vents" and you'll get stuff like this. 15 bucks for this set of two. drill a 1/2" hole in the can to take the vent (I use a Unibit for a good clean hole). they don't leak. they give you 2 collars for the spouts so you can match the threads on your can. there is a giant farm tool store out in the midwest somewhere that had good prices & I bought a bunch of kits like these. they were different looking but do the same thing. eventually the strap between the vent cap and the vent breaks. it still works but you have to be careful not to lose the loose cap. I got extras and just replace them. cheap enough. 7 bucks for the lot shown below.

View attachment 988252

View attachment 988258
THIS! This works. Modern gas can spouts get me feeling all grouchy and crotchety.