New Gas Cans, WHat were they thinking?

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
What is the purpose of these new fangled (yes, I said 'fangled') pour spouts? Rube Goldberg's ideas must have been at the core of this spout/can design.
SO...
Riding mower ran out of gas about an acre and a half away from the shed. Lugged the full can to the mower, it was funny how heavy that can felt at the end.
The mower is top fill, so I have to lift this thing about 3 1/2 feet, turn it so the spout is facing down.
Notice the handle on the top, pretty much useless for a pour position.
I use the hanger clip to support the weight of the can on the lip of the mower's plastic gas tank.
I now have to lift the spring latch and push the big green release valve on the spout.
The weight of the full can deforms the tractors plastic gas tank and the clip slips off the lip, this forces the spout off the threads of the gas can, pouring gas all over...at least some gas splashes into the tank!
Second attempt, I get the can into a headlock position so I can hold the full weight while depressing the giant green release valve. This works, but it is friggin' ridiculous.

I've been pouring gas into engines since I was 6 years old and I have never exploded or caught fire. The principle is pretty straight forward, tip the can, gas comes out and flows into the gas tank.
Why do we need these silly 'rube goldberg type' contraptions?

Rant over.

GasCan.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I had one and the spring in the spout broke. I curb-poached an olden-style one along with my current mower (complete with bagger and *owners manual*), and it's competently storing/dispensing gasoline to this day.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
yeah.... hasn't been a decent gas can made in a couple decades. they keep making them safer and safer until they are so safe you can't pour the gas out of them.

do a search on evilbay for "gas can vents" and you'll get stuff like this. 15 bucks for this set of two. drill a 1/2" hole in the can to take the vent (I use a Unibit for a good clean hole). they don't leak. they give you 2 collars for the spouts so you can match the threads on your can. there is a giant farm tool store out in the midwest somewhere that had good prices & I bought a bunch of kits like these. they were different looking but do the same thing. eventually the strap between the vent cap and the vent breaks. it still works but you have to be careful not to lose the loose cap. I got extras and just replace them. cheap enough. 7 bucks for the lot shown below.

1653783900903.png

1653784569087.png

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 988249
At work we use something similar to this for 50:1. Straight fuel tanks are No Spill type plastic cans like these:

View attachment 988250

No to the "no-spill"
Even if the concept were valid, the execution suffers from CHEAP.
No.

Yes to the Just Rite.
I have several, but of the five gallon variety.
Bonus. They seal when closed. Not only less fumes, but it far extends fuel storage.
Especially when combined with a dose of Sta-bil.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
You can pop the spring out of most modern gas can nozzles and they become old fashioned gas cans with a moveable cap.
just before Irma I had to replace 3 of my old plastic cans due to old age. The new safety cans sucked (during the almost 3 months of generator power after Maria) but I learned about the spring trick and life was better. At least for topping up the generators.

Putting gas in the weed eater or the chainsaw is easier with no spring in the nozzle

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I got sick of plastic gas cans and the mickey mouse way they operate.
Went to Army Navy store 5 years ago and got a 5 litre OD green jerry can.
Has a pour spout that locks on tight.
Rubber gasket in locking lid to keep gas good when not in use.
Made of steel, practically bulletproof.
Will probably have it until I plotz.
1653787819534.png

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I got sick of plastic gas cans and the mickey mouse way they operate.
Went to Army Navy store 5 years ago and got a 5 litre OD green jerry can.
Has a pour spout that locks on tight.
Rubber gasket in locking lid to keep gas good when not in use.
Made of steel, practically bulletproof.
Will probably have it until I plotz.
View attachment 988281
I was thinking there must be military surplus cans available.
I have two for gas and one for diesel that not as bad as new tech but they will fail at some point.
My patience wears thin at times, thats all I got...