1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New from Denver

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 1957Congo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. msfenderarg

msfenderarg Friend of Leo's

Welcome!

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

That's a good idea. I'll also extend the invitation to 1957Congo (great year for humans, cars, and music BTW) that if you want to cruise up to Fort Collins, I can meet you at the Spotlight Music store and we can compare your Tele to the MIA's, MIM's, and lots of Squires to get a baseline tone for what you are hoping for. We would also have plenty of amps, Fenders, Vox's, Marshalls, etc to try out in search of the twang. Between the Spotlight staff and our ears, we should be able to easily get a handle on what's going on with your setup. You wouldn't need to buy anything, just find out what the problem is. I'm pretty flexible these days on dates and times.

3. JASS

JASS TDPRI Member

Maybe the string gauge? Had a strat that was kinda dead with 11's, put 9's on trying to sell it, and ended up keeping it!

4. meyekel

meyekel Tele-Holic

+1. I could meet up too and bring a traditional straight up MIJ tele and an amp too for you to compare/contrast.

5. jimmynumber9

jimmynumber9 Tele-Afflicted

The only problems I can think of that you could fix are pickup height or string gauge. If that's right, then you've completely stumped me. :confused:

6. yangounet

yangounet Friend of Leo's

yep. pickups height, string gauge, then put 500k pots (squiers pot wont be a big loss). I use a vox night train 15w, and with this amp, realy difficult not to sound trebly.

7. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, we'll you are the exception to the rule I always here about but never meet. When someone says "I've been playing 2x humbuckers with floyd rose setups and mostly marshall amps." that usually almost without exception means full stacks cranked up to 11 for years, finally dropping to a 50 watt half stack in your late 20s after you get sick of lugging the 100 watter and 2 cabinets around.

8. 1957Congo

1957Congo TDPRI Member

Hey Gang,
    As always,thanks for all the response.

I've tried many, many variations of settings on the Bogner and still haven't found the tone I'm looking for. I'm considering some Fender tube amps, Blues Jr., Hot Rod Deluxe, etc. I really thought the Bogner work great considering all the positive reviews on the amp.

I would love to try another tele on my rig but unfortunately I don't know any one who has one.

By the way the neck on my tele is maple.

Soulman969 - I live in Aurora and would love to take you up on your offer. All my gear is up on a loft and very accessible. My schedule is very flexible, early afternoon thru early evening, 7 days a week. Just let me know what works best for you and we'll make to arrangements.

Jim Dep - I would most definitely drive to Spotlight Music in Ft. Collins to check out a few other Tele's and amps. Let me know when would be a good day and time and we'll make the arrangements. My schedule is very flexible.

I'm desperate!!

Strings are D'Addario 9's and string height is correct.

myekel - Your offer is great. We could get together at the same time as Soulman969 in here in Aurora or arrange a time that works best for you. Once again, my schedule is very flexible, 7 days a week.

My Tele has 250k pots. What would be the advantage or change in tone using 500k pots?

Used 50w Marshall half stacks, staged side by side. Luckily, I believe my ears are ok. But then again.......

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Sounds good. I'll PM you. On October 25th, next Tuesday at 6pm, there's a couple members of the group "Megadeath" that are doing a free clinic at Spotlight Music for Jackson guitars. It'll probably be crowded that day, so any other day should work.

http://www.spotlightmusicstore.com/

I'll send you a PM so we can get a time and date squared away.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Congo I sent you an email and a PM about getting together. Call me and we'll work it out.

11. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Didn't your op state that you had a Fender 5w?

M

12. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

I have a Squier CV50s BSB, all stock that I play through a Blues Jr. I get lots of treble and twang, and I would recommend that you go to a beefier string - 10s or 11s, raise the treble side of your bridge pick up beyond spec, and just for grins, take a screwdriver and make sure that your bridge plate is FIRMLY screwed down. When I got mine, the screws weren't loose, but everyone one of them got another 1/8 to 1/4 turn and it definitely made a difference in the sound. I also find that when you want UBER TWANG, a touch from a nice vibrato pedal can work wonders.
    Good luck.

john

13. 1957Congo

1957Congo TDPRI Member

Yes I do have a Fender 5w. I tried beefier strings, 10's, and they were uncomfortable. I then received emails that the gauge of string really doesn't make a difference and that the best gauge is what the player is comfortable. The player that I'm taking video lessons from, Doug Seven, swears by 9's and his playing and his tone is incredible. My bridge plate is screwed down tight and I'll go ahead and raise the bridge pup on the treble although my tone(lack of twang and crisp bite) is on the low end.

I've got a vibrato effect on the Fender 5w that I'll give a try.

As always, thanks for all your comments. If you have any further ideas on my bassy tone and lack of twang, please let me know. Once again, I'm mainly working with a Bogner Alchemist, 1x12, 40/20watt tube combo and the Fender Vibro Champ XD, 5watt tube, 8" speaker.

Thanks again.

14. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Ooops! I know I typed Vibrato, but what I meant was tremolo.

The Vibro Champ was a fun little amp. I bought an old one in '82 or '83, sure wish I'd hung on to it now.

john

15. 1957Congo

1957Congo TDPRI Member

Tele bridge plate

It's been a couple of months since been on here. I just posted a new MIM tele and wanted to swap out the pickup. I loosened the strings and unscrewed the bridge plate but there is something under the plate holding it on the body. I would very much appreciate any info on how to remove the plate without doing any damage. I just want to replace the bridge pickup. Your input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

16. 1957Congo

1957Congo TDPRI Member

It's been a couple of months since been on here. I just posted a new MIM tele and wanted to swap out the pickup. I loosened the strings and unscrewed the bridge plate but there is something under the plate holding it on the body. I would very much appreciate any info on how to remove the plate without doing any damage. I just want to replace the bridge pickup. Your input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.