New Fred Stuart Blackguards

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hilljr170, Mar 15, 2012.

1. hilljr170

hilljr170 Tele-Meister

Just got home with a new set of Fred Stuart Blackguards installed in my '52 Reissue Tele. WOW!! They are really quite and sound amazing!! I kept a three way switch with them and have the middle position set for both pickups and she has never sounded so good. The price is steep, but if you can get these pickups. You will not be sorry!!

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Glad you like them, but one thing I noticed is that almost every time someone posts a gear review that contains the word "WOW!!!" it's immediately after they have bought that item, so I take it with a grain of salt.

3. hilljr170

hilljr170 Tele-Meister

Sorry. Just really surprised just how much better than I expected.

4. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

AC15. Very true, though it goes both ways.... I put a set of Original Vintage pickups in my CIJ classic 50s and immediately thought.... WOW, what a disappointment! I miss my old pickups. Now, after giving them a few months I really like them. You could say a 3500 dollar mistake could turn into a 3500 dollar victory!

5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

One thing I've noticed is that when someone posts a comment like yours I always wonder "Who do you think your comment is benefiting?"

Are you simply reminding yourself that you feel this way because if that's the case there's really no need to do that publicly. You can use your quiet, inner voice to confirm that for yourself.

Is your comment intended to benefit the OP by...umm....I can't even imagine how you might think your comment is somehow worthwhile for the OP.

So this fella buys something quite expensive and he's excited by the results but your job is to take some of the 'unrealistic joy' out of the experience for him? Is that how you're helping?:confused:

6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Actually I can see your point, believe it or not. It probably is one of those things where I'm skeptical of "honeymoon reviews" and yeah, I probably could have just used my "quiet inner voice" to reaffirm my distrust of such reviews.

Having said that, I don't take that position because of some holier than thou stance against posting glowing reviews about recently purchased items - I take that position because I have done this myself many, many times to the point where it's sort of embarrassing - I have found threads of me praising stuff, then threads where I later declare my dislike for that same item. I see other people do it all the time too. So I'm acutely aware of it.

Also, my post is probably not intended specifically for the OP as much as a general statement to people to consider waiting a little before expressing how awesome something is. Maybe there's some "benefit" there.

For the record, I had Stuart Blackguard pickups in my guitar at one point and wasn't crazy about them. I don't even know if I still have them, but I know they're not in my guitar anymore. Would that have been a more "helpful" post?

To the OP, believe me I didn't mean to rain on your parade, and I'm glad you like the pickups. Many people do.

7. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I get what you're saying. I just see so many responses to posts where someone has recently purchased something and they're excited and happy about it and someone(s) comes along and poops on the parade. :lol: And I guess it just builds up in me over time and once in a while I have to let it out. Barking at people using my 'quiet, inner voice' can only work for so long.:D

Anyway, I appreciate your sincere response and I'm sure the OP will as well. And I apologize if I came off all high and mighty even though I may have actually been feeling that way when I wrote my response. Hey, I'm only human.:rolleyes:

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had stuart blackguards for 3 years. I played that guitar last night and got several compliments from folks about how I sounded. The most important one I got was my own inner voice that told me that they sounded terrific. I think the whole pickup thing is a mix of the actual pickup, the wood of the guitar, the neck and most of all, the player...

the roster of happy stuart blackguard owners and players is full of first rate players and guys who appreciate what fred has put onto the market.

I use a 4 way switch and have the joy of owning and playing several guitars with several makes of pickups... the stuarts are in my #1 guitar...

no pickup will be the number one for everyone.... I'm glad they are working out for the OP and I can guarantee they work out for a lot of guys..

9. hilljr170

hilljr170 Tele-Meister

Thank you all. I take no offense. I was just excited and wished to give "props" as the kids say to Mr Stuarts pickups. I am far from a pro player, I just love a good sound and the pickups really surprised me. I knew they had great reviews from guys who know what they are talking about, I was just taken aback by how much better they are then I had thought they'd be. Again, I understand what he was trying to say. Everyone have a great day,
    Richard

10. ringodingo

ringodingo Tele-Holic

Show me the money!

Okay. Okay. Now will someone please post some pictures or video so we can see and hear what all the fuss is about?:)

11. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

12. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

13. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

I have a FS bridge. love it. I've had many vintage spec pickups from Van Zandt, Seymour Duncan, Fender Custom shop and others....the Fred Stuart REALLY stands out as something special and different. And I got my pickup for a bargain on the used market, so it's not like my ears are trying to compensate and rationalize all the money I've spent. Infact, If I sold it, I'd probably profit from the deal, so it's in my financial best interest to hate the pickup and sell it. But it's never coming out of the guitar. For me, it's the perfect mix of bite, twang, not too bright, not too scooped (lots of mids for fat tone)... There's a strange saucy (for lack of a better term) wetness to the mix. I realize that sounds like ridiculous cork sniffer terms that doesn't mean anything to anybody, but I don't know how else to describe it. I've changed a lot of pickups in this same basic sound profile (some were alnico 5, some where alnico 3, but all were vintage spec style with broadcaster style midrange). They ALL sounded really good, but the Stuart was the first one that really got my attention as something special. Maybe it was just the best marriage for that particular guitar. Acutally, it didn't marry well with my Dimarzio Twang King neck, which was my favorite neck pickup. I had to find a warmer, louder neck pickup which started a whole different chased that ended with a Twisted Tele.

One things for sure though, I keep a steady lookout for used Stuarts now, and you don't see them used all that often.

14. hilljr170

hilljr170 Tele-Meister

That sounds great!!

15. hilljr170

hilljr170 Tele-Meister

Just had the 50's Strat installed in my 57 reissue Strat. They sound great as well. Very happy with both sets

16. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

I've had Stuart Blackguards in my main Tele for years. And when I play it I still say 'Wow'. Great pickups.

17. Telecaster411

Telecaster411 TDPRI Member

Stuarts are fantastic. Had them in my guitars for better than 6yrs. I have two sets one w/ a Lap Wrap bridge.

18. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

pickup trends have come and gone, but the stuarts have stood the test of time. for fat, blackguard tone they are the way to go.

19. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Still lovin' my Stuarts.

One of these days I'll get around to recording a little clip with Stuarts, Ron Ellis and maybe the Don Mare as well. All good, all a bit different.

Cheers,
    Geoff

20. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I'm hearing mostly dirt pedals there. If the intent was to showcase the tone of Stuarts, it doesn't do it for me. Straight into a clean fender reverb amp initially would be much better, then maybe followed by some dirt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.