new firmware is up for the mustang GT

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by fender4life, Mar 18, 2020.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Update your amp if ya got one.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

what new features are implemented?

3. fender4life

New models of amps, cabs, stomps, effects, and what i perceive as a little better core amp tone. It seems to sound a bit more up front and a bit more alive. Thats what i noticed using my main patch that i have been using for a long time. The new models i'm not sure about yet as i have only had a hour or so with it. Some seem good, others not so much. But i need a lot more time because i have just scratched the surface. As for features not related to tone, i'm not sure theres much. One good thing is they finally fixed the acceleration of the settings. Some of them were worse than others. Delay time for example...if you tried to go from say 250 ms to 350, you could not turn the data wheel past a certain speed or it would jump a few hundred ms instantly. So the fastest u could turn it to not have it jump way ahaed like that was so slow it would take 20 seconds to go 100 ms slower. Complete idiocy on fenders part, but they finally fixed it thank god.

dswo and nick0 like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Thanks, now I gotta see if I can get wi-fi to work on my GT40

5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

To everyone who owns a GT40 (or any GT model), this update has brought mine back to life. It now sounds like a real live punchy amp in the room, instead of a distant recording of an amp. I'm running it in stereo with my Mustang LT25, with both of them on the BF Deluxe amp model, with a little delay, and my favorite Klon clone in front of them, and, with my favorite Strat, it sounds and feels as good as any amp I've ever played through, and does it at apartment volume levels. Much better than the last update, and maybe what they learned from designing the GTX amps.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  6. fender4life

Liker i said, mine improved too but nothing like yours seemed to which seems to confirm that the blanket issue was never a problem on the mono GT100 but probably a stereo issue on the 40 and 200 stereo models. Mine never had that blanket issue many talked about and the overall improvement was nice but yours definately sounds to have improved a lot more. I thinyou now are hearing what GT100 owners always have. In any case thats great !

7. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Nov. 21 2017 dougM wrote:

"I had an AV15 and a Blackstar ID15TVP, but sold them both when I got the Mustang GT40. Both the Vox and Blackstar were great amps, but both sounded more muffled than the Fender at the super low volumes I play at, and with tweaking all three, the Fender just sounded better to me."

Just wondering what happened with your thoughts on the GT40 over time?

8. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Oh.... for a minute there I thought I was on a mobile phone forum site.

Yup, pretty soon even our cars will get OTA firmware updates (if you don't already have a Tesla)

9. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

My GT40 won't see my WIFI network anymore either, no matter how many times I've re-tried. But, using my Cell Phone as a Hotspot, I can now easily connect my GT40 to my cell and I am connected to WIFI and can access the Mustang Updates.

10. fender4life

Man, the more i play thru the models and play with this new firmware the more excited i am. This is like a new amp in some ways and the core sound quality is a good bit better. Theres a new anderton video where they are saying the GTX has a upgraded processor. I find that unlikely but if true that would mean the GTX will sound even better. More processing is why the tonemaster series sounds as good as it does. I think the mustang's day has finally come for everyone, not just us that are already fans.

11. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

12. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

My GT40 updated without a hitch using the instructions here: https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003535806. The amp even remembered my wifi (which it hasn't accessed in months).

I didn't have a chance to play, but I did confirm that the new amp models were available. I noticed that the Blues Jr. model takes more CPU power than the original Princeton, because I couldn't substitute the BJ until I got rid of Harmonic Tremolo. Could mean the BJ is a more sophisticated model...

The iPad app has been completely overhauled. Lots of pretty graphics, and uses the whole screen.

The update left my presets intact. I'm not sure how to try the new ones.

13. mycroftxxx

mycroftxxx TDPRI Member

The Super Reverb and Vibro-King are definitely worth a visit.

14. fender4life

I believe u r right. It has become possibly my fav model in the GT now because it just nails the fender breakup better then any of the others. It sounds and feels more real than the vibro king or super, and thats even using the same cab on each. It's IMO, at least so far, the most realistic feeling and sounding model to date in the mustang series. I love it. And i think thats why i doesn't allow as many effects because they're using more processing power on the amp model itself than with most models. It's the only thing that makes sense. Then the question becomes, why ? If i had to wager a guess i'd say that being the blues jr is (so they have said) thier best selling tube amp of all time, maybe they want to make it stand out in the mustang in hopes it will sell even more. I dunno. But definately gotta be using more processing power to make it stand out whatever the reason. It might be the only model to date in the mustangs that i don't think i could tell wasn't tubes in a blindfold test. I think it beats the pants off pretty much ALL the other fender models in the GT for me and what i like at least. Very SRV which i know many hate but it;'s my target tone. I use it with the tried and true 412GB cab model. I tried a bunch of others some of which sounded great, that is until i went back to the 412GB and realized it just sound best.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  15. Balinus

Balinus TDPRI Member

You need to "Reset the Amp" in the settings after the firmware update (note that there's a new one dating back to early May 2020). You'll stay with the latest firmware, but lose your presets, etc. but worth it in my opinion. The new built-in presets are quite good!

dswo likes this.
  16. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 TDPRI Member

I am contemplating downloading the new firmware, but I love the amp as it is with the V2 firmware.
    I especially like pre-set 6 (57 Twin basic), will downloading the firmware affect the pre-sets?
    The amp works brilliantly as it is and I don't want to do something that causes a fault or whatever.
    Thanks

17. Balinus

Balinus TDPRI Member

In theory, you could backup your presets in the cloud and then re-download them. With the new firmware (v3), you get new amp and effects that are worth it imho such as Ram Fuzz (based on Big Muff Pi), EchoPlex Tape, Blues Jr.

18. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

When I installed the v3 firmware it did not alter my presets.

19. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I'll probably update it tomorrow.
    The Basic Twin 57 pre set is the best I can get my guitar to sound.
    It's great with an overdrive and distortion pedal for a solo tone.

20. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

If you're at all worried, take a moment and save the one preset to the cloud or just write down the settings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.