New Fender Tone Master amps - Summer NAMM

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GuitLoop, Jul 18, 2019.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

The proof is in the pedal in front of the amp, when you try to boost the digital frontend...that will be the point where everything falls apart...

2. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I don't know what you're basing your assumptions on,but I actually went and auditioned the new Twin.
    I tried a Blues Driver and a Boss OD 20 into the amp and it sounded great.
    No different than when I used to plug overdrives into my tube Twin.

GuitLoop likes this.
  3. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Because technology changes just to annoy you.

tidalcast and MilwMark like this.
  4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I run a compressor (MXR Studio Compressor), booster (MXR Micro Amp +), distortion (MXR Prime Distortion), and two drive pedals (Tube Screamer Mini and Boss Blues Driver) into my Tone Master Twin, with no issues. Even with the volume cranked.

5. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

Been playing a Tone Master Twin for about 3 weeks now. It totally lives up to the promise. I've been a Fender tube amp user since 1965, this thing is like plugging into a vintage Fender. As far as pedals, no issues there whatsoever. Everything sounds great. The tone, feel is all there. I've owned a number of high end modeling amps before this. I spend absolutely zero time tweaking this amp. I plug in, set the volume and tone controls and away I go. No fidgeting, no editing via software, no updating, just playing a high quality amp that sounds exactly like a vintage Fender Twin.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

But it doesn’t have Toobezzzz. The horror!!!!

If you are only able to make good sounds with certain magical technology, then why not ignore new tech?

Why keep posting in threads about new tech, that you can only make good sounds with one kind of old tech?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Rev Hoodoo and tidalcast like this.
  7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Have you noticed that the people that have actually played out with them, love them? I have. I played out at a coming home party last night and it fit in to the mix, the sound was complemented by the rest of the group and the other guitar player spent half the night asking about it. We did not use a PA. I played it at the 22 watt setting which worked exceptionally well with the other guitarist's AC15. It simply confirmed everything I've come to appreciate over the last couple of weeks.

8. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

Was just in the studio playing my Tone Master Twin with my '65 ES-335. Man, what magic, organic, juicy tone! Just a pleasure to play and hear.

Apache Snow, Lef T and MrAstro like this.
  9. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

TM amps are solid state amps with a digital emulation, that's what they basically are. I played SS amps already, SS + models (like the TM range), modelers (my Helix) and tube amps (my Friedman). I far prefer tube amps.

I've just compared a TMDR and a DRRI in a nearby shop and as you can imagine far prefered the sound and feel of the DRRI. There's no comparison. But that's just me.

10. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Did it have a nicely broken-in speaker? Asking for a friend :twisted:

11. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

The only fair way to compare these amps against their tube counterparts is to do it blindly...without knowing which amp is which. Maybe cover the bottom of the amps so you have full access to the front panel of both amps to be able to tweak EQ etc to your liking but don't know which amp is which. Otherwise any preconceived notions or bias that you may have (the old tube vs SS argument) could influence the outcome.

I haven't tried these yet but when I do I will do it blindly.

Apache Snow and Lef T like this.
  12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

they also just could have made a nice looking pedal...

13. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the forum! I know you're new, but it seems that you've used all of your posts up to this point for glowing reviews of the tone master amps.

People might start thinking you're a Fender shill if you don't post in any of the 1000s of other threads! Explore the forum, there's lots more going on here. There has to be one with a subject that interests you.

jgmouton likes this.
  14. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

I'm a recent returnee, not a newbie. Wanted to share my discovery. If you've got questions about my background and experience feel free to ask. I've nothing to hide. Tossing around labels like "Fender shill" reveals more about you than it does me. I'm a veteran professional player with decades of experience. I know the sound of mid-60's Fender tube amps well, I was playing them when they were new. I worked in and managed music stores for a lot of years. Consequently I've owned a lot of great gear over the years. If my perspective and focus irritates you then simply ignore me.

So do you have a question about the amp? Or are you just here to overanalyze the posts of other?

Apache Snow, stevemc and Lef T like this.
  15. backporchmusic

Another post about the amp, no other posts.

I said what I said nicely, no need for a bad attitude. It was encouragement to explore the many other areas of the forum and to contribute.

But anyone who offers nothing to a multi-faceted forum except for glowing reviews of one product might very well be confused for a shill. You can see where one might get that impression, right?

jgmouton likes this.
  16. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

And your omniscience about what forums I've read comes from what, exactly? The bad attitude is the "Fender shill" crack. I recently returned to the forum and wanted to share my most recent experiences. Again, you don't like it ... don't read it. In focusing on what I post exactly how are you contributing the the subject matter? I'm an owner and user of the amp, consequently my experiences and opinions are valid and pertinent to the subject matter. That's the point of a forum, isn't it? An astute observer would have noticed I responded to exactly 3 forum topics directly related to this product, none of which were started by me, shortly after I recently rejoined. I showed up, read a lot of topics, found a few that for which I had direct knowledge and experience that I could contribute to the body of knowledge. Did you miss the part where I've been following lots of other unrelated threads or did you choose not to consider that in order to pursue whatever it is you're doing with this inquiry? Regardless, I'll continue as I see fit, I'm sure you'll do likewise. I don't intend to monitor your contributions but I suspect you'll be closely following mine. It's all good with me.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Apache Snow and Lef T like this.
  17. backporchmusic

Yikes, apparently hit a nerve. My bad.

18. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

I get what you were saying. No problem on this end. I'm here to discuss all kinds of gear. I just happened to pop back in at the moment that this amp is a hot topic. Carry on.

Lef T likes this.
  19. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Modeling aside, this is what I've always wanted. A lightweight amplifier that sounds like a Twin, without all the digital frills. Right now I'm using the Eric Gales head with a Jensen/Fender cabinet. I'd rather have a combo though.

I'm going to try one of these.

20. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Very interested in this amp! Wish they had included an effects loop, but I probably would not use it anyway! LOL! 23 f'n lbs for the Deluxe? Sign me up!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.