New Fender Tone Master amps - Summer NAMM

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GuitLoop, Jul 18, 2019.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I think this is a great, brilliant idea - that might salvage digital modeling

I - as an ageing blues dad - am highly interested ; if for the weight alone

Lef T likes this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Because production costs are a fraction. That's always the answer with new products in all sectors. Reduce production costs, keep retail the same: the ole bait and switch. They just bank on folks not noticing much - and that works.

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

They have the highly successful Mustang line, as well as the Champion and other products that offer the lightweight, low maintenance, low cost advantages of ss and modelling.

Because production costs are a fraction. That's always the answer with new products in all sectors.

4. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

I've had a few modeling amps and only been disappointed once. The first one I got was the Yamaha THR5, I got it when they first came out and still use it. I was so happy with it I got a Yamaha THR100H, also a great amp with no effects except reverb and only a few knobs on the front, just the way I like it. I eventually sold the THR100 because it was too bulky, light but bulky. Instead of the THR I got a Quilter (I know it's not a modeling amp) . Light, small, sounds great and with knobs that do what they're supposed to.

The only one I didn't like was a Line 6 spider.

I fall into the cathegory of people that like simple amps with a few knobs, not 100's of effects and settings. I own tube amps, SS amps and modeling amps and a good amp is a good amp, the nature of its construction has nothing to do with it IMO. In other words, these new Fender amps could be interesting.

Lef T and NewKid like this.
  5. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Rick the Fender product manager is posting info about these amps over at TGP

6. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

I am also in the camp of bring on the future (modelling) but keep the tradition (tone design, appearance)! I am not expecting revolutionary tone designs, because , let's be honest, much of live guitar music is currently taking its place in the halls of historic memory alongside classical music, it gets played live but as a snapshot of old genres. If the amps feel and sound good, I don't care what their guts are, if they are light I welcome that, while I do (for some gut reason) enjoy the heft of a heavy amp, I don't enjoy hauling it out of a basement club at night. As for the numerous options of modellers being an upside... I disagree, I've had a Fender Mustang, I used maybe three amp models and a few pedals. I tried all of them, and it was fun for a while before it got boring), the options are plentiful bt not really useful, so in the studio, I use software for options, and live I just want a few good sounds I don't have to wonder about as I play. I love the design solutions of the Tone Master range, I love the aesthetics, and when there's a Bassman/Vibrolux *a.k.a. 68 custom deluxe reverb, I am probably getting one - used of course, can't pay this much for a modeller. I do wonder about the neodymium speakers, Had Celestion Vintage Centuries for a bit, and they really weren't my favourite.

7. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

This will be Fender's biggest flop for years...it's the ridiculous price...for that money you get a very good tube amp and even a real Twin used...

GuitLoop likes this.
  8. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

why are they abusing their holy design for cheapo modelling and sell it for the price of a good tube amp? WHY???

9. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

it will be interesting to see what happens with these.i really think they are overpriced.

braveheart likes this.
  10. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

they don't learn...again and again a desperate attempt to sell us modeling in a beautiful design...
    like LOVEDOLLS...they look beautiful, but are dead inside...
    This is highend beginner level stuff, not more...

11. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

thank you! Finally someone who faces reality! They are waaay to expensive for a SS/modeling amp...440$ would be realistic

12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

wait until you boost the digital front end with a pedal...the pretty face soon turns to ugly

13. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

My wallet says no way! My old back says give it a try! A 24 pound Deluxe Reverb? Wow! I'll never give up my tube amps, but for gigs these could be nice. Just wish the price was lower.

14. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'm so lucky..not to have to worry about even looking at one of these modelers..weight wise even at(nearly) 70yrs old and weighing in at around 125lbs I've never found a Deluxe Reverb to...heavy..my Super Reverb..yeah its a bit top heavy and awkward to pack around..hopefully Fender will finally realize that the price they are asking for these are utter nonsense..just give me the basics...Come on Man...

braveheart and Durtdog like this.
  15. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

.....well that sorts my dilemma out pretty quickly!

16. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I've been following that thread and find it a shame ,that people are laying on all this flack to the guy.
    I'm interested in the Twin and would like to hear more on it from Rick.
    I think he is proud of what they have come up with,but a guy can be attacked so much and then he's going to disappear.
    I'm sure there are a lot of pros who don't post their knowledge because of all the crap they have to listen to.
    I am interested in a lightweight amp that sounds good,has some muscle and is easy to haul around.
    I am one of the people that Fender is marketing the Twin to.
    I have an open mind,but it won't be till I get to plug my Tele into the Twin,that I will make my decision.
    I'll check out how it takes pedals through the front end,etc.,etc.
    If it does what I want,then I'll pull out the plastic and walk out of the store with one.
    There are a lot of naysayers,but as the old saying goes, "The proof is in the pudding".

MrAstro likes this.
  17. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

No way - I'd buy one. The Tonemaster Twin is a huge improvement on the original. It's got useable volume at different levels and is half the weight - all the reasons I wouldn't buy a real twin have been addressed. In fact I'm going to sell my HR Deville and maybe my DRRI and just use the Tonemaster.

Why would I buy something that weighs half a tonne a blows your ears off when you want to use it for hours each day. Forget it. The Tonemaster will turn down well and has the volume when you need it for a gig.

Vespa_One likes this.
  18. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

sorry,not for 1000$,mate...that' for sure,trust me...
    Fender will realize that very soon and the price will drop...so wait a year and you'll get them for 450$

stevemc likes this.
  19. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

What will it cost to make them?
    Cabinet, speaker and hardware will probably the same cost as a DRRI.
    They can save on transformers, tubes and maybe some wiring labor. I think the price difference to the tube amps reflects that pretty good. If these are overpriced – the tube amps are too.

Then there is development cost – except for the hardware these are completely new developed which takes a lot of engineering and programming effort.

In the end it will all boil down to if they sound and feel good to the players. People shell out much more for a Kemper or AxeFX which are just preamps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.