New Fender Tone Master amps - Summer NAMM

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GuitLoop, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Fender can't even copy their classic tones with their namesake reissue tube amps so these will be no exception.

2. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Or one could argue, "Hold on Bill, I have to replace a power tube...then i will show you that sweet lick I was talking about...."

markal likes this.
  3. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Yes! I think I saw your post about the tweed / brown / silver / blackface models. I thought it was a really great idea. I think Fender missed the boat on that concept.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe. Or maybe they're testing the water with the first two (arguably their most popular amps of all time), and if the reception is good they might expand the line, maybe add models with additional features. I think the idea behind these amps is for them to be a "gateway" into modern digital technology for people that don't want more complex options.

ataylor likes this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

And why are they making them look like the tube amps? Jeeze...

6. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

For the same reason Fender makes guitars at about every price point called Stratocasters and Telecasters. It’s not a big deal.

Frodebro likes this.
  7. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

I’m interested. Yeah, the price struck me as high but when was the last time you saw new guitar gear and said great price?!?

I have a nice 10 watt tube amp I can play at home. These will let me try something more robust and be able to play it at home.

As far as just modeling one amp, I’m good with that. I would rather have an amp that does one thing very well instead of one that doesn’t thousands of things pretty good.

I’d like them to have an effects loop but whatever. I’ll do this weird thing of try it when I can and not whine online because it doesn’t meet some traditional requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerb, rxtech and ataylor like this.
  8. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

NAMM 2025....Fender unveils the new Holographic Twin....very light,very nice transparent overdrive etc

TBH I don't think it matters to most audiences what you play through,I like the use of pine cabs, but for MIC I would expect this to be no more than half the RRP...

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Because Fractal, Kemper and Atomic have all done it quite well. I've never liked modeling amps, PODs etc and been hesitant to use amp patches when recording - I'd rather mic a real amp.

Then a friend talked me into buying a used Atomic Amplifire, wiping the custom presets loaded by the previous owner, starting from stock and programming it using specific parameters matching amps I have and then tweaking them to taste. And I'm not using a fancy powered speaker - 'm using a "budget version - a class D GK 200 watt 1x12 bass amp in passive mode., which is about as neutrally voiced as you could possibly get.

And although I am still a die-hard tube amp guy I have to admit that NO listener could tell if I was using my '66 DR, or '62 Concert, or '60 Twin. I've hd experienced players sit here with their backs turned and playing while I switch "amps" and move things around and THEY can't tell. Even running cranked/dirty and cleaning up using the volume control works just like the amp (thiws was my last pet peeve and only solved a few months ago with some upgrades.

So I see no reason Fender can't successfully create a "one patch" digital amp with dedicated controls. And I like the output drop switch on the back - *IF* they have a speaker that will drive well at low volume that solves the only other problem area some have (related to the powered speakers used with many - until recently).

I'm not in the market but I'd definitely like chance to run a DR head to head with my '66 and see how it stacks up. I don't trust Youtube or other videos - you rarely know how they were recorded, and even if the whole environment/equipment situation is described things can still be improved or wrecked by the engineer or in post-processing.

SO I would take comments about videos or posted recordings with a grain of salt. It will take head-to-head testing with YOUR guitar and effects to really see how things work.

MilwMark and Cerb like this.
  10. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I sure hope not.

11. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Another attempt at using classic cosmetics for new products. Remember the Deluxe VM and Bandmaster VM from 2010?

I wondered that wattage is way up there. Is that because SS wattage actual output< tube wattage output?

12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The Anderton's vid on these was actually pretty compelling as far as vids go. I wouldn't buy before trying, probably multiple times, but I have to admit they've got my attention. You guys who wish it was a Mustang or a Katana, with a million more options - they already make those amps, and I have one. I want the knobs on the front to do what the labels say they do, and I want it to sound GREAT, and I DONT want to accidentally press a button and have it turn into an emulation of a cranked up Triple Recto or something. Which I have done on my Katana at a show.

NewKid, Jonzilla and GuitLoop like this.
  13. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Some of us old timers are intrigued too.
    I gave up my Twin a few years ago,as it was just too heavy for me to be lugging around.
    I'll try out this new Twin when it hits the shops.
    33 lbs. is right up my alley.

NewKid and gridlock like this.
  14. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I gave up my Super Reverb for the same reason...weight. IF they get the sound right they may be on to something.

Lef T likes this.
  15. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

My favorite part is the Standby switch.

Absurdly ridiculous.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It should have been called "mute". It cuts the speakers, but your XLR output is still active.

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

SS wattage and tube wattage are 100% the same-no measurable difference whatsoever. The reason why 100 tube watts is "louder" than 100 solid state watts is because tubes can be pushed well beyond their rated output and still sound good, whereas solid state hits the rated clean output and then goes straight into hard clipping. An example of this would be the 100W Marshall amplifier. It is rated at 100 watts clean, but when you crank it all the way up into distortion it's putting out upward of 180 watts. Even "clean," vacuum tubes are already running higher harmonic distortion levels than SS will. This contributes to that "something" that makes tubes sound better to many people, and is something that analog SS has always struggled to overcome, but digital is able to pull off because that extra zing in the top end can be modeled before hitting the power section.

18. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

That's there to save transistors

19. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Not being a tube snob, I’d love to play through one. As far as the tone goes, good luck getting an accurate idea of how they sound from a YouTube video. I thought the Deluxe sounded pretty good on the Anderton’s demo.

20. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Damned if you & do damned if you don't.
    A 57 Tweed Pro. 40w. 15" & I'm in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.