1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NEW Fender Player Series Unveiled! Nice!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FenderGuy53, Jun 19, 2018.

1. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've got an American Pro Strat neck, an American Pro Tele neck, an American Standard Strat neck, and a bunch of MIM Tele necks and I like the MIM Tele necks as much, if not more than, the American Pro necks. They're each great in their own ways and I enjoy playing them all. Fender has had some great product coming out of Ensenada and I would expect that to continue in the future. The MIM Fenders are excellent guitars.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  2. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Friend of mine has high end Fender American Standard Stratocaster, played it a few times and i still like much more my player telecaster. His strat is better quality but player has some really vintagae and nostalgic sound to it

3. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure I agree with quality levels when comparing stuff that has been built using automation and CNC machinery, as everything Fender build, including Custom Shop models, is made that way. Ok, I'll concede that the Affinity models are not as refined as more expensive ones, but MIM and Made in USA are now almost indistinguishable, aside from minor detail differences and, of course, cost; and that, as we know, is allied to the cost of production (mostly wages), and not the quality of the finished article.

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

They were forced into it by the revision to the CITES regulations that went into effect in 2017 - now products made with all species of rosewood require extensive documentation to prove that it's not one of the endangered species (specifically Brazilian rosewood). It's supposedly because those enforcing the CITES couldn't tell legal rosewood (like Indian, etc.) from banned rosewood like Brazilian. At any rate there is a ton of new paperwork required to use rosewood, and many companies have looked to alternative materials for their less expensive products. Fender just chose to go with pau ferro for the MIM models - making the decision that they didn't want to incur the additional costs of continuing to use rosewood at this price point. Another company, Reverend, is now using a laminated product called "Blackwood Tek" from Australia instead of rosewood.

5. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

I played another player Strat today in the same finish, but this one rocked! Night and day difference between the other one, could be the action, or not, but I doubt it's been properly set up since it's off the rack on a store. I feel like I need to try more of them now and definitely a Tele

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Gretsch's Electromatic and Streamliner series, which are made for Gretsch by Fender, are using walnut for their FBs.

7. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

What if someone's allergic to nuts?

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Didn't know that; I've only been looking at the MIJ Gretschs lately and they still use rosewood. I do know that FMIC jobs all the Gretschs (except USA Custom Shop) to overseas manufacturers so I suppose whomever is building the Electromatic and Streamliners chose walnut as their rosewood replacement and let FMIC (and Gretsch) check them out and approve them.

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

And ebony...

10. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Running errands yesterday I drove near a GC and stopped in -- I scanned the rack and not seeing anything asked, "any of the new player series in stock?"
    sales person, "We only got two in, a Tele and a Strat, and they immediately sold out as quick as we got them."

So looks like these guitars are popular and still short on inventory shipments.

11. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Does this look right? The strings and the spacing in the nut, look really lopsided and inconsistent. Or am I just imagining this. This is a Player Tele. 285_Player Ser3.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.