1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NEW Fender Player Series Unveiled! Nice!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FenderGuy53, Jun 19, 2018.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Perhaps you meant guitar stores in general... Guitar Center is the predominant guitar store chain in the US, and as far as I know they have no international locations. They do have some redeeming qualities - mostly related to price and return policy - but performing proactive QC on their stock isn't one of them, in my opinion.

https://stores.guitarcenter.com/index.html

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  2. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

What I should have said is that (according to a previous poster, who commented on the change in pot suppliers) Fender has stopped using CTS pots and gone with a cheaper brand. Whether that's true or not, I don't know first hand.

I do have Alpha pots (considered by many to be a lower quality Chinese brand) in one of my Teles at the moment, and they have functioned as designed. CTS does have a better reputation, though.

As for quality, there are many products made in China that are of very high quality (Apple products, to name just one very obvious example). It's all about the choice of raw materials and the manufacturing tolerances/quality control. You can get excellent products from China... there still is a lot of junk, though.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    AndrewG and moosie like this.
  3. DHart

Good to know. Perhaps the previous poster who stated that Fender stopped using CTS pots in the MIM guitars was wrong. OR... Fender uses both CTS and a lesser brand interchangeably from one model to the next.

4. moosie

That seems very naive, to me.

The better stuff coming from China usually has a lot of US-based oversight, factory ownership, etc.

There's still a TON of cheap gotta-fix-it-before-you-can-use-it stuff coming from China. Pots are not immune. They don't "just work". There are moving parts, manufacturing tolerances, material selection, that all make a difference in the usability and longevity of the finished product.

5. DHart

Quality of the taper comes to mind. Some crappy pots are either on or off, and not much in between.

moosie likes this.
  6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Will a vintage style bridge still fit?

7. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

This what the MIM Standard Strat should have always been- A Mexican version of the American Standard- 22 frets, two point bridge, alnico pickups. They're only thirty years late, since the American Standard was introduced in '86, and the Ensenada factory opened a year later in '87.

8. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

There's linear taper and audio taper pots. Linear should be used for tone controls if you want a smooth roll off. If you use audio taper for tone you will find more of an 'on/off'. Audio taper should be used for volume.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  9. moosie

Yeeeessss... thanks for that.

And there are some pots that are neither, because they weren't manufactured to proper tolerances. That's the point here.

DHart likes this.
  10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

When I was working I kept hearing we are gonna change this or that but nothing ever changed. Just saying change seemed to be enough because those involved in the change making process, didn’t really change ! It would involve making an effort and doing some actual work to invoke real changes !

11. thegreatwent

thegreatwent TDPRI Member

I agree with this statement.

12. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I'll probably be blamed for standing on my soapbox, but here goes (can't help it :oops:):

In a way, I like the new names instead of "standard", on the other hand something is definitely wrong with marketing ideas. Or perhaps we are in the middle of a transition.

We (as a community, not me as a person) now have American special, professional, elite and original vintage guitars. This is a very nice and well defined difference (IMHO). All names that sound like "quality", and have a certain level of mostly studio musician sound to it (to me). (not as high as "custom shop" though). I'm not enough of a player to really understand the difference between a professional and an elite, but I suppose Fender thinks they are different markets. Certainly all the high tech (like compound radius, micro-tilt, ...) should be available only here.

Mexican Players exist in a several variations... (SS and HH for now, but why not a SH?) I suppose the new Player series is the start of a redefinition going on of the Mexican models too. More basic in a way, but still very good quality.
    I am a little puzzled about the "Classic Series" vs "Classic Player" though... not really a well defined marketing strategy if you ask me... If all the "classic" series/players are reminiscent of the classic guitars, then why is there a '69 Thinline in a "Deluxe" series? I hope they rename the entire bunch "Classic Player" for clarity's sake.
    I can certainly understand that the relatively modern Nashville tele is a a separate marketing segment. Perhaps they should call it the "Modern Player" then... but when I look at the Fender website from Belgium, the "Modern Player" seems to have disappeared. Is it "absorbed" by the Squier brand as it was made in China like many Squiers? "Modern Player" could be a playground for new combinations that are to stay in the lineup for a while (not the Parallel Universe that are more limited and clearly have link to other models/brands). I'd like it if such a "Modern Player" (or "Current Player" or "<whatever word you can find that makes it sound modern without using the word modern>" Player) was NOT made in the far east, and made to the same standards as the other Mexican guitars. At least all MIM guitars could be called "player" in some way, that way it is clear that they are not or the "elite", but are good for every day "players" (like on stage and studio alike). Bread and butter musicians.

Squier has a similar identity crisis going on. Clearly Classic Vibes are born as remakes of classic guitars. Then why are all '72 models classified as Vintage Modified? They are as close to the originals as Squier guitars will ever get. And qualitywise they are in the same ballpark as the CVs. This series has deviated far from the beginnings as "experimental" models in the early to mid 2000s. The '72 models should be part of the CV and the new contemporary series could fullfill that original role of the VM. Experimental pickup combinations and all. They make them in in China, like the original Fender Modern Player series...
    In the past few years Fender (or should i say Squier) has dropped one "Squier Standard" colour after the other. I think that and the fact that the Affinity line is now moved to the same factory that made the "Standards" is a sign that the Squier Standard may also cease to exist soon.
    That only leaves the Affinity series (and an occasional Bullet) as basic first model. I wonder how they could rename it Squier "Hobby" or Squier "Student"? (pun intended)
    Squier is marketed more for beginners and working man non studio musicians and do a smaller scale gig every now and then. Of course I don't know how many Fender earns from the sales of Squier CV and VM guitars (and in the past few years I've bought each and every model of them and love them to death, figuratively speaking), but one could question if their quality isn't too high for the Squier brand.

Let's face it: the Guitar World is facing a crisis. Rationalization is a must (we don't want Fender to file for bankruptcy too, do we?) . Fender should limit the number of series/models while keeping interest up high enough for "new" models. Part of that interest will come from choosing another colour every now and then.
    Well defined marketing segments can also help. Making Fender Modern Player guitars next to Squier Classic Vibes and selling them at similar prices does not help. Parallel Universe guitars might help a little. But most profits should come from easily sell-able (is that a word?) guitars.
    Very High quality MIA, High Quality MIM and regular Quality Squier should be a good start. Three different quality levels, three different price levels. Clear and simple.
    Within each level only a few well defined series: inspired on "classics" (as I noted, is it really needed for the "beginner" brand?), "regular" models and more "experimental" stuff.

To come back "on topic"... If the birth of the new MIM "Player" series is a continuation of a better defined product range, then it is a good thing, IMHO...

<time to come off of my soapbox :)>

13. moosie

@nicod98 , I think you give marketing folks way too much credit for strategic and organized behavior. Wasn't there a monkeys-and-dartboards comic in this thread?

I'm not sure why no one likes "Standard" anymore. I guess it sounds plain, meat and potatoes. When the name began, it was an announcement that Fender US was back, that all the knock-offs had better look out. But now it conveys a vision of a beige Ford Taurus. I guess.

I suspect Fender wishes the geographical designations would go away, because then they could eventually start charging premium prices for stuff made at Mexico's minimum wage... So, MIM, MIA quietly go away, and instead are replaced with the idea of player levels. The American Deluxe series conveyed a high end guitar, made guess where. Elite conveys a high end player, with no geographic designation. Etc etc.

American Original of course needn't mean MIA. It does now, but I'd not be surprised at some point they tell us, "no, no, that means the originals that were made in America back in the day".

I always seem to be the anti-fashion guy, not by choice, just personal preferences that don't align with popular views. So, I'm not surprised, but still not thrilled, that either the world is moving on past the vintage spec Fender, OR Fender wishes that would happen. Not sure which. I guess sales numbers will tell the tale. I haven't been interested in anything but CS and AV .... ever. The Classic [Lacquer] series come the closest, if you like a modern C neck o_O. But for some time now unless you order a CS direct, it's gonna have a 9.5 or 10" radius, and larger frets.

I really like my Fender guitars, and the history of Fender the company. It grates that they no longer make anything I want, and I am forced to dwell only in the used market, or boutique land.

Talking about soapboxes...

RoCkstAr256 and nicod98 like this.
  14. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

I played a Player (no pun) Strat today, there were no Teles, but I was overall not really impressed very much. It's just one guitar, but if the neck is the same on that as the Tele, that will be a no-go for me, the neck I found was not very good, and the pickups sound "frail". Just mho. I played a Am Pro Strat right after, and even though I am not a "Strat" guy, there is absolutely no comparison between the two, the AmPro just feels fantastic. I've already been playing a bunch of them (Strats and Teles) for a few weeks now. The neck and 6105s on the AmPros are just fantastic. Jmho.

I think the pickups on the AmPro Strat sound "light" also though, so hah. Anything next to Tex Mexers sound "dainty".

15. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Well American Pro cost Three times as much. Its surely great compared to player series. Player series suppouse to fill average quality market, while AmPro is for high end quality. I really love my blonde player for rock blues. I have standard tele in car mn too, it feels like bridge meant to play hard rock or even metal. Matter of preference i guess. However Player is decent choice as for it sound and quality.

Backbeat8 likes this.
  16. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Very thoughtful statement.
    You mentioned it, but it's the compound radius, the contoured heel, the ebony fretboard, different body contour and other things that are basically supposed to make the guitar as easy to play as possible. The Elites have medium jumbos on them also, not 6105s so that's weird. But, I think of it, as basically, AmPro, is their "best" guitar, it's the "standard", then Elite, is like when you release the standard, then in the months following, you think of these little finishing touches that would make it as "playable" as possible, even more so than the standard. Do they make it more "playable", yes, but you aren't at a playing "advantage" vs the AmPro. And features like the compound radius, are imho, maybe verging on going too far lol...

(but that's the whole point of the Elite lol isn't it) so.

I mentioned the 6105s because the AmPro comes with them, which as per Fender, are supposed to make "playing incredibly easy", so then why put 6130s on the Elite, that's what you have on the MIM Standards. The old "Am Standard" had Medium Jumbos, so not sure what happened there. The 6105 they say is there most requested, (but by who?), is that a custom thing?, so then why not put those on the Elite.

Imo, it's these things that make the difference, for actual playing, the fret types, incredibly important, and can make or break a guitar's entire playability. That in combo with the neck profile, The Radius, and the nut size. These four things, are the most important aspect of the electric guitar. If we are talking bare bones. Everything after that, is residual.

*all or most Relics have 6105s also, and they are all > 4G

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    nicod98 likes this.
  17. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

The PF imo is a huge huge mistake by Fender. Why they would put that on a bunch of their guitars is shocking to me.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  18. DHart

I don't like the look of the light-tone PF at all. But I have seen some of them with dark PF that looks great.

Of course, a few drops of dark brown dye in a little fret board oil could darken up a light-toned PF board nicely.

Backbeat8 likes this.
  19. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Different people like different features, the feel of Classic Vibe Tele, is fantastic also. Totally playable and an amazing instrument. More than adequate for whatever anyone wants to play. It's just a different feeling on different necks and such. I can't stand the 6100s on the Am Specials, it's just not good lol. Just my opinion. I would be totally happy playing a Player, it's still a top quality instrument. Plus I've only played one, every guitar feels different. I really like the Modern C shape, but every individual model will still have some small variation in the contour.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  20. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Good idea! Yea, that would be a sweet fix. Maybe I will come around to the PF, idk, could just be a temporary "shock", and I don't like to harp on the negative.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.