1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NEW Fender Player Series Unveiled! Nice!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FenderGuy53, Jun 19, 2018.

1. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I had this argument with the Martin forum. There's a store in or near Nazareth where the owner makes a point of picking 'the best' Martin whatever of his stock for the prospective customer. The next customer also gets 'the best' pick-and so does the next one. Every guitar he thus sells is 'the best'. Are people really that naive? Yes, yes they are!
    However, in Fender's case this new series has some genuine upgrades we should all be happy with. I can hear someone now; 'they bain't be makin' 'em like they use to...', to which I reply, 'and thank goodness for that!'.

4telecaster4 and Don Mac like this.
  2. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

There is no 'Vintage Player' or 'Roadworn Player'. There's Classic (vintage), and Roadworn.

3. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

All those colors, and the fact that they are all just a shade darker or a tint lighter than other long standing color options proves that Fender isn’t willing to take a chance and offer something truly different then the same ole same ole they’ve been putting out for decades.

4. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I think Fender understands that, by and large, their customers are traditionalists when it comes to colours, and subtle shade variations have been in Fender's catalogue since the 1950s. Perhaps we'll see a return to the day-glo colours of the 80s in future. I sincerely hope not! Capri orange or Sahara taupe, anyone?
    [​IMG]

Bruxist likes this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

How are colors such a big deal?

What color could they possibly pick that would make the guitars exciting for you guys when they are still going to be the same guitar? There's always a color that's going to work for you and the color isn't going to affect the tone or how it plays or what music you can play on it. They're all great guitars but all of their guitars are just reshuffling the parts on the same guitars they've been making for decades.

The parallel universe stuff is the closest thing to something new they done in most of our lifetimes right?

I just don't get the vibe of acting like they're not making the right color and if they did than you'd finally be able to find "the one". I mean just go get the custom shop to make the color you want maybe?

esetter and moosie like this.
  6. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Wrong

Model Name: Vintage Player ‘50s Stratocaster® (For Yamano/Fender Europe, Base Model is ‘50s Strat)
    Model Number: 013-2902-(305)
    Series: Classic Series

7. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

modern c shape neck. what the hell do these guys have against a nice beefy neck?

moosie, heffus and cyclopean like this.
  8. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Color is important to me. For instance my first guitar was red, and I struggled with it, so I don’t play red guitars. I already have a blonde Telecaster, so I have no desire for another. I also have a silverburst which piqued my interest because of the color... so as it stands I have 2 telecasters. I’m set. But if Fender were to put out a shell pink Telecaster... I’d be sorely tempted to get a third.

But red, blonde, white and the usual suspects of shades.... eh. Just not interested.

9. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

[DISCUSSION] Do NOT order the new Fender Player Series guitars, especially not online.

EDIT: By popular request, I took pictures of the nut slots of the remaining 6 guitars we have with issues. We have 22 total after sending 12 on their way back to Fender. Check the album here: https://imgur.com/a/MYiboYV

Let me introduce myself. I work in one of the largest guitar stores in the Southeast, and so I have access to a lot of products before they're officially slated to be released. Nothing was different about the new Fender Player series, slated to launch tomorrow 6/19, which I got a week and a half early. I feel the need to put out a PSA advising everyone to not order one at all or at least go to a store if you're dead set on it, but there are reasons why you shouldn't buy one, even if you like it. I'll go over them below.

Preface

The Fender Player series is the successor to the Mexican Standard series. Fender got tired of people asking about the difference between the American and Mexican Standards, so Fender abolished the former in favor of the American Professional series and the latter in favor of the new Player series. Keep that in mind as you read this

Nut slots

You know how everyone has been ragging on Gibson for not cutting their nut slots right sometimes? Well, the Player series is making Gibson look like saints. We have 34 guitars out of that series, and 18 of them have incorrectly slotted nuts. String spacing seems to be the most common issue - strings too far apart (causing another pair of strings to be too close together).

Fret ends

Every single one of the 34 we have has sharp fret ends. One of our techs actually cut his finger a bit while moving up the fretboard. We're currently in talks with Fender to have them pay us in credit to fix that issue on all of them. When you pick up a new Player series, be sure to check that out. It seems like they rushed QC to get these guitars out fast.

Downgraded electronics

The new pickups are alright, but the problem is that Fender switched to cheap Chinese pots instead of the CTS pots they were using before. It's noticeable, too - the volume taper isn't as smooth, and a few of them out of our 34 plainly refused to work. This makes the new pickups they designed almost inconsequential

Price

The real kicker in all of this is the price. Player series Strats and Teles are more expensive than the Mexican Standards they replaced - the new ones are $675 street versus $600 street on the old Standards, even with the downgraded electronics.

Conclusion

I'm not ordering you to not buy them, but I'm advising you to explore other, more economical options instead of these. The problems these have been having and the scale on which they've been happening make them a risky buy, especially if you're ordering online. You're pretty much guaranteed to get sharp fret ends, a 50/50 coin flip on the nut slots being cut correctly, and a slight but still possible chance that some of the electronics won't work when you receive it.

If you have to, please try one out in a store. You might find a good one. But there are too many bad ones to take a risk, in my opinion.

Thanks for reading.

10. Donny Osmond fan

I do not know if the info is correct though so take it with a grain of salt.

MitchMiami likes this.
  11. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

They look pretty good to me but what do I know .

12. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

They have. check out CME. theres an exclusive shell pink american special. I was very close to buying it.

13. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Fordi Capri Orange and Wolkswagen Yellow!

I'd gladly partake :)

14. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I've wanted a Fender Telecaster Elite with rosewood board ever since they were released. Well, the newer ones have pao ferro, which I don't like. SO I had to search for a 2016 model, which I found.

According to Anderton's, there will not be a "Standard" model this year, the first time in 50 something years.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm all about the orange!

Bruxist likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You and I like Sherwood Green and Shell Pink, but those are 'polarizing' colors in the market. People like them or don't. IMO I don't think you can talk someone into liking those colors if they don't. Fender is likely going for the maximum possibility that Joe or Josephine Player is going to like one of the colors they offer.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Colour is one of those "everyone is different" things. I look at some PRSs and get seasick, but other folks love them.

[​IMG]

18. Donny Osmond fan

I like none of them. I'll be that guy I will just like these instead. I like these better. 500 dollars to boot. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

I don't know about "tone" differences when it comes to the fretboard... if I can't tell a difference between rosewood and maple when it comes to tone, then I doubt I'll tell a difference between rosewood and pao ferro. But 19 times out of 20 I can tell a difference in the look between the two. I much prefer the look of the rosewood. When it comes to acoustics... solid spruce top with rosewood back and sides is such a classic acoustic tone. I don't know if pao ferro is tonally equivalent, inferior, or superior to rosewood... I just know I like that classic look and sound of spruce on rosewood so I wanted to make sure I grabbed one quick before I had to start looking second hand. I had it set up by my luthier last week and it is the sweetest acoustic I can recall playing. I wanted a Martin... but that will take a bit more saving. However, I'm not missing the Martin with how that Washburn WCG25SCE feels and plays. I love it!

20. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Only bad thing about line up is the fact they removed Car Mn imo

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.