1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NEW Fender Player Series Unveiled! Nice!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FenderGuy53, Jun 19, 2018.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

The new Fender Player Series guitars are now in stock and ready to ship at Musicians Friend!

Fender Player Series

$50 price hike on the new series ($649.99), but I'm liking what I see, so far:

• Alnico V pickups
    • 22 frets
    • dual action truss rod
    • 6 bent steel saddles
    • tinted, satin neck

Wish I would have waited before buying my Standard Tele (BSB).

DHart and chemobrain like this.
  2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

"Pau Ferro" fire sale?

3. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

I just purchased a new acoustic (even though I had planned on waiting several more months) because the model I wanted was being "upgraded" from rosewood back, sides, and fretboard to Pau Ferro back, sides, and fretboard. I figured I better grab it now while I still can.

The new MIM Fender Player Series seems like a worthy $50 upgrade over the older MIM Standard.

RoyBGood and chemobrain like this.
  4. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Is the standard to be discontinued? The upgrades could have easily been made to the standards, and arguably should have been. Either way, I hope they do well and sell a few. I like the changes.

5. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, arguably these are just upgrades to the Standard series, with a name change thrown in as a bonus! It’s how Fender does things, no doubt for marketing reasons (a new product range gets more clicks on the ‘net and feet in the stores than some updates would).

PCollen likes this.
  6. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

PCollen likes this.
  7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not tracking with that statement ? and why would a person not just buy another geetar ?? Did you fall down perhaps and hit your head or something ?

A V pickups ! Yeeeee hawwwwwww !! If they sound as good as the 'ol Std. (pre '06) that would be awesome.

mc900ftj and jimilee like this.
  8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Too many frets, too many pickguard screws, too many saddles and headstock truss rod access, nothing here for me. I like the sonic red color though.

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

It is always easier to justify a price increase on a "new" model...

Bones likes this.
  10. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

And that same old skinny ass neck too.

11. FenderGuy53

Nah, I can't justify it, Steve. If I had to have a Player Series Tele, then I'd have to sell the Standard that I just bought.

I actually like the ceramic pickups because they're warmer and woolier than the alnico pickups, which suits my music style; that said, the extra fret and satin neck finish would be nice.

I think I'll wait until we start getting some empirical feedback on the new Player Series models.

jjudas and notele60 like this.
  12. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Wow, Fender really took some risks with the new color options! Lake placi- I mean “tidepool”... Arctic I mean “polar” white! Bsb! Black! Sunburst! What a departure.... :rolleyes:

13. FenderGuy53

It wouldn't be NEW with OLD colors!

14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Name changes seems to be how Fender's Marketing Department is rolling these days - I kind of get the feeling that there must have been wholesale changes in the "creative" team 3-4 years ago, and now they have to justify their existence by coming up with new names. I do Consumer Insights research (in other industries) and I hate doing naming research - throw out 5 oddball/bizarre/"Director Bob's favorite"/"VP Sue's favorite"/crappy names and let people pick the "best of the bunch" - without ever doing any proof work to see if any of the names are really any better than the current/original name.

Owenmoney likes this.
  15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Yes...brilliant marketing department.... Player Series!!
    Not to be confused with the "Vintage Player", "Classic Player", "Roadworn Player " and "Modern Player".

16. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I have never heard of Polar White. Is it really just a renamed Arctic White? I hope not.

Only thing I don't like is the name. Player Series sounds like it should be a $299 Squier....But maybe that is because I relace baseball gloves and Rawlings Player Preferred gloves are an affordable line.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Keep in mind these guitars are for players as a step up from first guitars and for when getting a real Fender. I think they are quite well spec'd for them and practical.

irie and RoCkstAr256 like this.
  18. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

NGD in 3 hours or less :D
    These shades are different than MiM Standards. Its good choice to give them a new names. Polar is much more creamy than Arctic white, looks way better. Blonde has new shade too so Tidepool isnt lake placid blue.

19. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I’m sure they are different, but are they very different then the other shades? No. Not really. Give us a Sherwood green instead of another greenish-blue, Shell pink instead of another subtle shade of white. Maybe a sparkle finish instead of bsb for the millionth time??? ;)

Bruxist likes this.
  20. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Sonic red, Tidepool blue, Buttercream and Sage green are all new shades. Put Tidepool next to Lake Placid and you'll see for yourself. Same with Sonic and Daphne blue. Similar but different in shade, with Daphne being slightly darker. Sage green is paler than Sherwood green etc. It's also nice to see a Telecaster in a red that isn't Candy Apple-a colour I personally dislike, and Sonic is close to Hot Rod and a bit warmer than Fiesta. So there you go.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.