New Fender Mustang Micro Headphone Amp

lefty73

Tele-Afflicted
Yours may sound great, but I have no way to know whether mine is running the same firmware and I have no way of making sure it's the latest.

From the manual: www.fender.com/mmfirmware

As it just came out, I'd imagine everyone's on V1.0 or whatever number Fender's assigned to it.

That seems based on the assumption that every time my NUX-playing friend powers up, he has to develop a new patch from scratch.

Understood. I was coming from a place that we have all been, which is when given options to tinker, we (most?) do and sometimes that rabbit hole runs very, very deep. What I really enjoy about the Micro is the no-frills approach. Not that the NUX doesn't offer some things that are very interesting and honestly look to be really well thought out. I guess I'm more of an instant gratification guy. :)

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
Wow, totally missed the link in the manual. Derp.

I like it enough to hang onto it and see what the future brings, but I think I'll at least bring it to Fender's attention.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
Since this thing is going to be with me awhile, I put together a quick-reference page with type large enough for my middle-aged eyes to read easily. Enjoy.

I did some more noodling around with it last night and will have some more observations to share over the weekend.

Attachments

• mustang-micro-reference-card.pdf
    33.7 KB · Views: 166

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
Since this thing is going to be with me awhile, I put together a quick-reference page with type large enough for my middle-aged eyes to read easily. Enjoy.

I did some more noodling around with it last night and will have some more observations to share over the weekend.

Brilliant, thx!

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

That is [expletive] brilliant. I have an Email alert set up with Sweetwater for when these are back in stock - I downloaded your sheet and printed it already.

ZenGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted

That's fantastic! Thank you so much for doing that and sharing it with us.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
A couple of updates:

I've solved the not-draggy-enough volume knob problem by sandwiching a doughnut-shaped piece of card stock between the knob and the body of the unit. The hole in the middle should be just a hair larger than the part on the knob that attaches to the shaft. The card stock I used was coated on one side, and I put that side facing the body of the amp. If you don't have anything like that, a paper plate should work. The knob can be removed by slipping a fingernail under opposite sides and pulling up. Now it doesn't move if you brush a finger across it, and I think it has a more "quality" feel.

Fender wrote back about firmware updates and pointed me at the same place as @lefty73 . Not wanting to believe I was completely nuts, I double-checked the copy of the manual I had downloaded and, sure enough, it's missing that part:

firmware.png

I downloaded it again from the same URL and got the right one. Maybe one of the servers that distributes their stuff didn't get the memo. *SHRUG*

They also said this, which could mean next week or next year:

Our digital team is currently working on a firmware update that improve overall performance of the amp. Once it is ready, it will be posted on the firmware section of our support page,

Last edited:

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
A couple of updates:

I've solved the not-draggy-enough volume knob problem by sandwiching a doughnut-shaped piece of card stock between the knob and the body of the unit. The hole in the middle should be just a hair larger than the part on the knob that attaches to the shaft. The card stock I used was coated on one side, and I put that side facing the body of the amp. If you don't have anything like that, a paper plate should work. The knob can be removed by slipping a fingernail under opposite sides and pulling up. Now it doesn't move if you brush a finger across it, and I think it has a more "quality" feel.

Fender wrote back about firmware updates and pointed me at the same place as @lefty73 . Not wanting to believe I was completely nuts, I double-checked the copy of the manual I had downloaded and, sure enough, it's missing that part:

View attachment 843547

I downloaded it again from the same URL and got the right one. Maybe one of the servers that distributes their stuff didn't get the memo. *SHRUG*

They also said this, which could mean next week or next year:
I suppose it's just a matter of when. I've bookmarked the page for when there is an update, time will tell, as I'm only getting no update available.

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire

That's excellent, thanks for sharing.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
If I had any doubts about this thing, they just evaporated.

I switched over to the studio preamp for a few minutes and when I went back to the '65 Twin, the missing bass appeared. Maybe one of the analog bits between the input and the A-to-D woke up and started doing its job the right way. Anyway, it now sounds closer to what I heard in the YouTube demos and holy cow, this thing is a blast.

Free bonus: Unplug and it's an easy way to turn your favorite pair of wired headphones into wireless.

Here's a revised version of the reference page. All changes are cosmetic.

Attachments

• mustang-micro-reference-card.pdf
    56.3 KB · Views: 125

saleake

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I highly recommend this. I have a playlist of my band’s set list on my phone. I connect the Mustang Micro to my phone with Bluetooth, plug it into my guitar, connect headphones, and play along with my set list. That’s how I prepare for rehearsal.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
If I had any doubts about this thing, they just evaporated.

I switched over to the studio preamp for a few minutes and when I went back to the '65 Twin, the missing bass appeared. Maybe one of the analog bits between the input and the A-to-D woke up and started doing its job the right way. Anyway, it now sounds closer to what I heard in the YouTube demos and holy cow, this thing is a blast.

Free bonus: Unplug and it's an easy way to turn your favorite pair of wired headphones into wireless.

Here's a revised version of the reference page. All changes are cosmetic.

What do you mean by this?

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
What do you mean by this?

Pair it to a Bluetooth device, connect a pair of wired headphones, don't connect a guitar and drop it in your pocket. Instant wireless headphone amp for wired headphones.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
Pair it to a Bluetooth device, connect a pair of wired headphones, don't connect a guitar and drop it in your pocket. Instant wireless headphone amp for wired headphones.

Not trying to be dense, but I still have no idea what you’re talking about. You say that you can turn wired headphones into wireless. How can you do that if the wired headphones do not have Bluetooth? And if they do have Bluetooth, aren’t they wireless headphones to begin with?

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
Not trying to be dense, but I still have no idea what you’re talking about. You say that you can turn wired headphones into wireless. How can you do that if the wired headphones do not have Bluetooth? And if they do have Bluetooth, aren’t they wireless headphones to begin with?
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Sorry @Blrfl, I don't have a Scooby Doo what you mean.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
You say that you can turn wired headphones into wireless. How can you do that if the wired headphones do not have Bluetooth?

It doesn't change the headphones; they're still as wired as they ever were. Plugging them into the Micro adds a little amplifier with a Bluetooth receiver behind it. If you don't plug the Micro into a guitar but are still paired with something like your mobile phone, you're not tethered to the phone by the wire.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
It doesn't change the headphones; they're still as wired as they ever were. Plugging them into the Micro adds a little amplifier with a Bluetooth receiver behind it. If you don't plug the Micro into a guitar but are still paired with something like your mobile phone, you're not tethered to the phone by the wire.

Not once but twice you said that this will turn wired headphones into wireless. It clearly does not. You are still connected from your headphones to a device by a wire. What possible difference does it make that you are connected to the mustang instead of to your phone? It is not a wireless experience either way.

And now please resume your normally scheduled discussion of this very cool amplifier.