New Fender Deluxe and Twin 100% Digital....

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by KnopflerStyle, Jul 18, 2019.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

There are actually quite a few different neo speakers now available, so IDK why speaker rolling would apply any less to this amp than others, regardless of the tech that it's built with.

I think the old way of selecting speakers with DSP amps was to try and choose something uncolored, but that actually doesn't make much sense, unless you're trying to put cab sim thru the amp (and that was a failure of design, IMO).

I have a 14 year old Vox AD15VT that sounds much better with a Jensen MOD in it. And although my Quilter 101 Mini is not DSP, there's also a very different tonal response based on whatever speaker is used (I actually used a neo Celestion BN12-300S with it, at one point).

predrag likes this.
  2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

At these prices even in the used market it will cost more than many tube amps such as, Pro Junior, Blues Junior, Peavey Classic 30 and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

3. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I think that way of thinking is more prevalent on TDPRI than on any other music forum I visit.

TeleTex82, Frodebro and MilwMark like this.
  5. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I have seen videos where amp manufacturers express concern over future availability of vacuum tubes. They are produced only in a handful of factories, and the process not clean, efficient, or healthy. It makes sense for amp makers to invest heavily in solid state/dsp alternatives in case a vacuum tube version of CITES pops up, and severely restricts or even eliminates tube availability.

I consider my Katana 50 a "real" amp. Just sayin'.

NewKid, beagle and Chicago Slim like this.
  6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Well you can load your own Speaker IR's into it so......

If I acquired one (highly unlikely), I would probably find a few IR's that I have from OwnHammer.

Personally I have cauliflower ears so I can't make those subtle distinctions. More power to the people who critical aural skills as differentiations.

7. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

If you like digital amps and want to play them, that's fine.

I don't think Fender should have disguised them as iconic tube amps.

They'll sell a billion of them, guitar players love fake stuff.

8. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I don't mind new stuff or digital or whatever, BUT Fender already has a Tone Master, a Deluxe Reverb, and a Twin Reverb. If it is good, let it stand on its own merits, don't call it something it isn't.

archetype likes this.
  9. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

This reminds me a bit of what some camera manufacturers (e.g. FujiFilm) have been doing the last few years... the latest technology stripped down to essentials in classic bodies.

rze99 and rob2 like this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This aspect of it is great. This is the way forward IMO... the whole thing with a Tube amp to me is most of them try to be their own thing and do that one thing extremely well.

I would way rather have a modeling amp that does one thing really really well than a modeling amp that does 100 things and none of them are amazing.

I'd really like to hope the guitar industry is big enough to keep tubes going even if everyone else is done with them though.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’d challenge the idea that modeling hardware can’t do a number of things really well at the same time. I’d also challenge the idea that by packaging one model into an amp Fender is somehow able to produce a superior product.

One thing this product has going for it (compared to modeling hardware) is that it’s encased in a true cabinet. That’s going to give people on the digital fence a much more approachable product from the get-go.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes.. but in the tube amp world everyone seems to think preamp + power amp + cab + speaker + amp are a system that all work together.

The modelers let you swap the model but you're always going through the same cab + speaker + power amp and only fiddling with the preamp behavior. If a Fender tube amp and a Vox/Marshall/whatever tube amp all have different choices at every stage than it stands to reason that the modeler that tries to do them all compromises on cab design, speaker choice, or power amp on some of the models. Fenders approach here make sense, everything from front to back is optimized to work together just like the tube amp version.

If the cab & speakers behave like the real thing they could put more engineering into getting the emulation of the preamp/poweramp right.

13. -Hawk-

Are you referring to modeling amps? I’m talking about something like Fractal or Helix. They absolutely do model the preamps (they even offer preamp only models so people can use them with tune power amps), complete amps, and speakers/cabinets. Not to mention aftermarket IR’s that take the cabinet/speaker choice down to the mics used and their exact location.

Just my perception, but I don’t believe for a second that Fender has the same level of knowledge, experience, and expertise in modeling as the other high-end companies.

Again though - with this particular amp being in a physical cabinet, it’s going to offer a pretty easy way to get the amp-in-a-room feel that many people search for with modeling. That’s a big deal, and coupled with the ease-of-use it should appeal very much to a segment of the digital market. Just my feeling, but I’d much rather use my Helix platform into a Powercab for all that though.

14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I wonder if there is rev/trem in the Normal channel?

15. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I’ll take the other point of view and suggest that Fender has resources — both in terms of talent and R&D budgets — that smaller music companies could only dream of having.

stevemc and MilwMark like this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. Sort of like the fact that Boss has resources, experience and science that boutique companies can only dream of. Yet folks always want to assume the a boutique pedal has more R&D and care than a corresponding Boss pedal (that the boutique pedal is ironically, based on.)

Anyway, it is funny to watch how language guides reactions. Both are "real" amps folks.

But the discussion is already over for some when they label the tube amp "real" and the digital amp "fake".

beagle likes this.
  17. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I like the idea and have been noodling the idea of getting a Nextone Artist to go with my 68 CDR. But at nearly $1,000, this will have to be one heck of an amp.

backporchmusic likes this.
  18. -Hawk-

Yamaha (Line6) isn’t exactly a small company, but I can understand that point in relation to other, smaller companies.

19. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Fender has done non-tube amps before, but many of the more expensive (not home targeted) ones had various problems and weren't that reliable in the long run. They were also discontinued pretty fast.

20. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

^^^This!

I've played guitar over 50 years, 15 professionally. In the early '80's I picked up 3 sets of Tung Sol 5881's. I played them for 25 years, as newer tubes didn't last or sound as good. The past 20 years, I've migrated to 6V6 amps, as I down sized and started using very efficient neodymium speakers. I like the sound of 6V6's and have found them to be among the most durable modern tubes.

As a guitar teacher, I was always looking for descent sounding non-tube amps. I've used Peavey, Vox Roland, as well as Fender amps. I had good results with SCXD's and a Roc Pro 1000. The sound was good with the Roc Pro, but the biggest problem was dirty POTs, which had nothing to do with it being solid state.

I still own 3 6V6 amps, but I have used a Katana 50, 100 and Fender Acoustasonic amps recently. Having owned and played vintage Fender amps most of my career, I don't even like the re-issues. The biggest problem that I have had with solid state or modeler type amps, is that they are harder to dial-in. These simple new Fender amps, may have fixed this problem.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.