New Fender Deluxe and Twin 100% Digital....

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by KnopflerStyle, Jul 18, 2019.

1. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Fender has competed against its own past for decades now...but I don’t think this will help. Almost seems like a “look at me too” effort.

twangjeff likes this.
  2. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

This is a really good idea. I had Twin but I only played it out about 3 times when I owned it due to the weight of lugging the damn thing around. A 23lb Twin that sounds JUST like a real tube Twin and NOTHING else is just what the doctor ordered for this old back :)

alnico357 and MilwMark like this.
  3. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

I think the twin is +/- 35 pounds (still amazing)

The DR is 22 pounds

EsquireBoy and sockgtr like this.
  4. DimEyeGuitarGuy

DimEyeGuitarGuy TDPRI Member

I'm really excited about this... I'll own the DR version as soon as it's available.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

6. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

7. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Vox already tried this with the AC15VR and AC30VR. Going on purely anecdotal evidence, those were not a success. Modeling was a less mature science then, so maybe this does a better job at nailing the Deluxe Reverb sound. Then again, most reviews of the VR amps say they were pretty darned good, too. People just didn't want them; they wanted "real" ACs.

I like modeling amps, and I'm not ashamed of them. I feel no need to camouflage my modeler as something it's not. That's where this idea ultimately falls down, I expect.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Existing manufacturers have baggage; people think of them based on their old products and they tend to tailor some of their new stuff to that image whether or not it's good for the product. The newer manufacturers (Kemper, Line6, Roland) don't.

The Angle likes this.
  9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Finally one can suggest a Twin Reverb as a good bedroom amp ...while meaning it and keeping a straight face.
    I like that they use solid pine cabs. particle board would have been a no go.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

foundjoe and Skydog1010 like this.
  11. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I also worry given Vox's experience but to be fair they weren't exact copies. They had an extra drive channel instead of tremolo, so they were more like Fender making digital Super Sonic 22s.

I also wonder if Fender believes that the modeling sounds more accurate than an analog but SS version of the AB763 circuit.

12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Alter and Vespa_One like this.
  13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Watched the video in more detail with headphones -- the usual caveats apply to judging anything based on a video instead of in person. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between the tube and digital deluxe played clean but could tell which was which when cranked. On the other hand I could very easily tell which Twin was digital, probably because I own a vintage SF Twin Reverb. Regardless, I'll be the first to admit that I probably wouldn't notice the difference in a real world scenario as opposed to playing them isolated and back to back.

The digital trem sounded fine, and the digital spring reverb sounded very good. Of course there are loads of great spring reverb/trem pedals out there, but still glad to see that Fender got that critical component right.

I'd be curious to compare the tone control response between the ToneMasters and the tube originals. Tone controls on most tube amps are fairly interactive and getting this interaction right can be tricky to model. I'd also be curious to hear how the ToneMasters respond to getting hit with a hotter signal like a clean boost. They did a fair bit with some drive pedals but that's different than hitting an amp hard with a boost.

Although I still think Fender's still got a ways to go with its digital modeling, I'm glad to see that they are still working on it. Ultimately, digital modeling will continue to be a growing market segment for guitarists and Fender would be foolish to ignore that fact.

For those of you who are early adopters, I'd love to hear what you think of these amps in the real world!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not really, considering you're only running one model at a time in many digital units. They might have shaved a bit of horsepower off because it's not needed for a bunch of effects, though.

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

It seems a bit blasphemous to me.
    Kind of like the 4 door Dodge charger.

My Mustang lll V2 already has both those amp models.
    Plus a bunch more.
    And effects.
    And I bought it used for $100.

Hard pass.

LucasT and twangjeff like this.
  16. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

How long before someone buys one and asks for speaker swap advice? Then installs a pair of JBL’s.

17. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Its a good idea, I think. Easy to schlep around...
    Price is a bit high IMO though.

18. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

The ad points out that the amp includes a data port for software upgrades. My guess is that Fender went digital instead of analog so that when customers identify a deficiency in the software, or simply when their coders make improvements, they can issue a downloadable update package. It's an interesting tradeoff against the stability of analog. Honestly, I think it will be fascinating to see whether the market overall accepts these amps or rejects them.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"It has too many options, I'd spend more time tweaking than playing. Somebody needs to come out with a modeler that gives me just one really good tone, is easy to adjust without a computer, and has just the very basic effects."

How many times have we seen this very thing posted around here? For all of the people that have done so (and you all know who you are), here's your amp.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    TeleTex82, MilwMark and SolidSteak like this.
  20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

If these really sound good, I will let someone take the depreciation hit and buy it used as a backup to the tube Deluxe which I have yet to buy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.