New Fender Deluxe and Twin 100% Digital....

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by KnopflerStyle, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for that, yes I went around describing it back to front. The guitar feeding back made the amp Hard Clip and so did pushing it too far with my volume knob and pedal so I referenced that from the start rather than the symptoms. I had no idea what they had done to SS amps since then but I imagined they might have had some form of padding on the volume in these new amps like you mention to prevent them clipping.

2. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Kemper tech?

3. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

huh?

4. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

Padding is not necessary or desirable in something like this. It is a digital model that performs like a tube amp. Pushing the modeled amp to the limit causes it to react like a tube amp. Your solid state amp doesn't benefit from that so the hard clipping mentioned is the result, and you're overdriving the solid state power amp as well. Because of the modeling design you can't do that on the Tone Masters. The amp will feedback just like a tube amp with at least some difference due to the speakers if nothing else.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Only our mole at Fender could say for sure, but my money is on Blues Cube-style component modeling. Kemper's profiling is a horse of a completely different color.

6. stilwel

stilwel TDPRI Member

The Tone Master amps are very different than Kemper profiling technology. I'll leave it at that.

artdecade, Blrfl and MilwMark like this.
  7. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

Got to play the Twin Tine Master today and I gotta say, I was pretty damn impressed. At full power and low volume it sounds pretty similar to my Old twin. The reverb and tremolo also sound great. I set it to 5w I think and was able to turn it up and get to a sweet spot without going deaf or getting kicked out of GC.

On the .1w setting I was able to turn the volume up to 10 and really put it though it paces. Sounded just awesome. I was overall really impressed with the Tome Master Twin. I was skeptical and wound up liking I’d much more that I though I would.

Would I replace my deluxe reverb for one? I don’t know, probably not at the moment, but if my amp disappeared I would probably give one of these a shot.

8. TCB3

TCB3 TDPRI Member

I picked up a TM Twin. Couldn't be happier with the decision. I think the consistency of the tone circuit is the reason to it's success. Twin's are notoriously dissimilar sounding due to production. And the RI don't match the vintage Twin's much either. The Tonemaster seems IMO to capture the vintage Twin sound thereby making it with it's lower weight and price a better buy than a RI Twin. Not even mentioning the attenuator and the fact that the construction of the circuit/board and pine cabinet are stellar.

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Okay Okay Okay.... gotta ask. I have never had the chance to drive a Twin into distortion for more than a few seconds. Do the distorted characteristics of a Twin differ dramatically from a Deluxe? Is the difference in the two new Tone Masters really just down to the number of speakers and wattage?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  10. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

twin tm vs dr tm? For just breaking up blues tones?

11. artdecade

Right. I guess I am wondering if the two Tone Masters will have dramatically different distorted tones or if they will kinda sound the same, because most Blackface amps are kissing cousins. Will the Twin Tone Master just be a louder version of the Deluxe Reverb Tone Master for a hundred bucks more?

12. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

the twin at $100 more new(even less used down the road) is a better value for sure

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

In that regard, yes, they will sound like "overdriven Fender amps", but Fender modeled the Deluxe to sound like a Deluxe and the Twin to sound like a Twin. So there will be differences, just like how the tube counterparts have different power sections, etc.

14. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

so which is a better amp for just breaking up tones to blues to classic rock?

15. artdecade

That's just the thing - I don't really know the sound of an overdriven Twin - at least not a blackface one. What are some examples of a cranked Twin?

16. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

The two amps will sound different for a number of reasons. First and foremost you've got a 4 6L6 power amp model versus a 2 6V6 power amp. They sound different. Also, the Deluxe has a tube rectifier and the Twin has a solid state rectifier. Then you've got influence of the speakers. Also, the Deluxe has a bright cap on the Vibrato channel, none on the Normal channel. The effectiveness of the bright cap on the Vibrato channel gradually rolls off some as you increase volume. Also, the lack of a middle control changes things a bit. On the Deluxe it had what amounts to middle set fixed around 6 or 7 and that also changes a bit as volume is increased.

The difference in use is that the Twin doesn't break up quite like the Deluxe but can get close with judicious adjustment of the tone controls. As far as the sound of a classic Twin overdrive you don't find that much due to how loud they are when pushed. But vintage Deluxes (which is primarily what the Tone Master Deluxe is modeled after) get a bit muddy as the volume increases which can sound great for blues.

Lef T likes this.
  17. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

thanx for that...muddy isnt good though is it? it makes me think flubby lowend.

18. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

19. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

No one in their right mind would buy a Twin for it's "breakup". It's clean clean clean all the way, me boyos. The only thing distorting are the speakers, screaming for mercy.

For the true sounds of a cranked blackface Twin, listen to Mike Bloomfield, with Paul Butterfield, with Dylan, and the Electric Flag. I can assure you he will still be "too clean" for most modern tastes.

Surprisingly, the cranked Deluxe Reverb will not be significantly lacking in volume compared to the cranked Twin. You'd need three Twins to be twice as loud as a Deluxe Reverb.

You ALWAYS turn down the bass when cranking Fenders, 'specially blackfaces, or you will get flub and fart.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is that the case, even with the 2 vs. 1 speaker variable?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.